how many of us carry a HEAVY folder daily?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bell

Post by bell »

I never heard of Sypderco until someone gave me a Police SS many years ago. I thought, "this is way too big and heavy for me" but just for fun I clipped it on. I forgot it was there. Then I got interested in Spyderco and ordered a Calypso Jr. (more my size) and the rest is history. My latest Spyderco is the Dodo. The Manix looks like a monster and not for cliping on to PJs but surely has a niche in the heavy-duty work place and should become a classic.
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

How about this one.. It ain't heavy.. And its being rotated with my Millie and CF Police.. :D
Sam
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

dialex wrote:My wife's EDC is a Chinook (first generation). She usually carries it in the right rear pocket of her jeans and she doesn't feel uncomfortable with that little knife though she is a pretty slim figure. :)
:eek: :eek: Now there's a woman who commands respect!! What happened to the Pink Civilian??

Samo
That knife has more teeth than spasmodic dentist!! Looks like part of a drive gear from a Varian M2000 cluster sputter deposition load arm drive motor. (I should talk..... I've sent my Extrema Ration Fulcrum through the wash once or twice. It sounds like a full armored cavalvary frontal assault when the spin cycle kicks in. How do you forgot you were carring tank for a day?? :confused: )
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
HoB

Post by HoB »

I don't care so much about the weight of a knife but rather about the handle length and width. At certain dimensions, I find it becomes uncomfortable in the front pocket (I sit a lot). This is why I moved the Lil'T to a belt sheath. There it could be twice as heavy for all I care. But even on a folder which I would mainly carry in a belt sheath, I wouldn't want to miss the clip.
I am leaving in two days for Germany, but man, as soon as I am back in November, I am going to order a Manix!!!! (Speaking of large folders :D )
Wunderbar

Post by Wunderbar »

You're right. I stopped carrying my SERE 2000 because it was way too heavy/bulky. I'm patiently awaiting for the latest version of the Progrip to arrive. I prefer a pocket carry of 3-4oz. and 4" closed with a 3" blade.
lreed

Post by lreed »

bell wrote:I never heard of Sypderco until someone gave me a Police SS many years ago. I thought, "this is way too big and heavy for me" but just for fun I clipped it on. I forgot it was there. Then I got interested in Spyderco and ordered a Calypso Jr. (more my size) and the rest is history. My latest Spyderco is the Dodo. The Manix looks like a monster and not for cliping on to PJs but surely has a niche in the heavy-duty work place and should become a classic.
SS Police is a totally different story from chinooks. As it's very slim and got a smooth surface on the handle, it slips into pocket easy and rides in the pocket comfortablly.
Ray.Hood

Carry a big knife, walk softly...

Post by Ray.Hood »

I carried my Commander for about a month. Great knife, the wave feature got in the way, I too have big hands. It was just too heavy (and big)
for e-day carry. I really like a slim profile in a knife. 90% of my knives are tactical, so if I have to discreetly carry one or three....well, it needs to be
comfortable in my hand as well as pocket.Pocket clips are a wonder to behold.
It will be my Endura clip-it for me for a while.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Considering that I often carry a firearm, any knife I carry seems very light in comparison. I find that I can pretty much carry any of my knives while wearing anything in my wardrobe.

Another thought: a large knife can do anything a small knife can do, but a small knife cannot do everything a large one can do.

And finally....I like a knife that I can actually feel when I'm carrying it. I'm not saying I want it to drag my pants to my ankles, mind you. But a solid knife just "feels" better, more reassuring.

Samo, nice SnG! What generation is it? I have a 5.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

The Native III is the largest EDC folder I have - if I need anything bigger I carry a fixed blade eg Moran FB01. Being vertically challenged with small hands any folder over 4.5" closed feels uncomfortable to me. The Native is big enough to do all I ask of it. I have considered the ParaMilitary and Lil Temperance but keep coming back to the Native - maybe a ParaManix??
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
bell

Go Samo

Post by bell »

Alllllrighhhht Samo! That Sng is awsome. If there is anyone who can use a knife like that it, is you. So do you carry it in a tool box, a shopping cart, a special shoulder holster or what? You are the man :D .
JD Spydo

Chinook II???

Post by JD Spydo »

Ok, Ok I keep hearing the accolades of the Chinook II. I have a lot of Spydies but I have not had the pleasure/honor of owning a Chinook II. I hear that when they switched from 440 V to S30V that it made a profound difference. I will make it point to put it on my ever growing " must have" list.
I just got my first Military in the mail today ( the S30 V combo edge). Please ( all of you Chinook II fans) tell me how the Military and Chinook II stack up for a heavy duty EDC. I'm listening. Which would be the all around best? :cool: :spyder: :)
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Not a heavy FOLDER, but my Tichbourne H5 and H7 are both about 10oz each :D
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

bell wrote:Alllllrighhhht Samo! That Sng is awsome. If there is anyone who can use a knife like that it, is you. So do you carry it in a tool box, a shopping cart, a special shoulder holster or what? You are the man :D .

tut tut tut, that's a SMF
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

Samo, nice SnG! What generation is it? I have a 5
*heh-heh!* Fooled you guys with my big mitts.. Its a Gen-2 SMF.. :D

Sam
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Hi Guys
Its a Police or Renegade for me, if not carrying a Spydie its a Benchmade 806 d2 or the SOG Pentagon Elite, the all ride about the same, much lighter than my Buck 110.
Phil :spyder:
Soviet

Post by Soviet »

I bring my Military with me everywhere... even to get milk at the store.

Although I tried to get the cap off this friggin thing and i broke the tip off :(
not really enough to effect it but enough to know it's broke.

Military S30V is great!
Blades

Post by Blades »

I carry my Chinook II every day. But I carry folders in every pocket, except one, and it carrys my Leatherman Juice. I thought a 6oz knife would be too heavy, but it carrys great. I recommend it.