Some more Manix pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ted

Some more Manix pics

Post by Ted »

Here are the pics as promised

pic 3 is a Lil Temp on top of a Manix. You can see the small difference in edge-length, and the huge difference in handle length.

pic 5 reminded me of those big Sharks that have a small fish 'piggy' backing :D

Burnett

Post by Burnett »

Congratulations on your new knife Ted. Great pics! I must get me a Manix too although I guess it will take a while before I actually get one. Maybe it's a bit big for EDC (for me at least) but it's definately a must have. ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Excellent pictures Ted! So far, what are your impressions of the Manix? Have not really used mine yet, but am planning to give it a little exercise today, as I have a few pounds of beef, plus potatoes and carrots, to cube up for stew.

Also, the knives in picture #4, Little T on top, Manix next down, what is the one in the middle? Second from the bottom looks to be a Paramilitary, is the bottom one a G10 Standard or G10 Harpy, crazy as it sounds, they look darn near identical from that angle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Thanks! The middle is a Starmate. The bottom is a Standard
I haven't really used the Manix yet, but it feels great. It should make a great camping blade.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks Ted, and yes, it should make a great camp knife.
Paul
CKE

Post by CKE »

Ted thanks for the Manix pics :) I just picked up a Chinook II before I went inot the hospital and love it...Now I want the Manix, I love the blade shape. Take Care!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Senate

Post by Senate »

**** this picture from above is great, now I see the manix is a real winner, double liner very wide... the starmate and paramillie look like sissies compared to it :)
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

Ted wrote:Here are the pics as promised

pic 3 is a Lil Temp on top of a Manix. You can see the small difference in edge-length, and the huge difference in handle length.
But then if you switch from edge length to blade length, in pic 4 you see a big difference in blade length, but not as big a difference in handle length. The question is how you want to account for the choil...
Ted

Post by Ted »

Yes Joe - I just wanted to show that two knives with near identical edge-shape & length can still be so different.

Edit: I should say it otherwise - two very different knives have a very similair edge length & shape.
Senate

Post by Senate »

BTW I thought I had to share this with you guys, here in France Manix is a well known brand of... condoms :D

So the ad could be: Never go out without a Manix in your pocket :)
shootist16

Post by shootist16 »

Senate wrote:BTW I thought I had to share this with you guys, here in France Manix is a well known brand of... condoms :D

So the ad could be: Never go out without a Manix in your pocket :)

Gives a whole new meaning to protection. :D
Dennis Bible
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

Hi guys. I'm crazy about tha Manix design. Loved it since the first pics. My favorite knife right now (by far!) is the para. I'm thinking the Manix will be the perfect larger blade (I used to have a Commander, but let's not get into that).

Here's my question: Why on earth is there no Boye dent on the Manix??? Since Spydie lockbacks started coming with them, I HATE using older versions that are without. They are much less comfortable to close. Any inside knowledge on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

talonturbo wrote:Here's my question: Why on earth is there no Boye dent on the Manix??? Since Spydie lockbacks started coming with them, I HATE using older versions that are without. They are much less comfortable to close. Any inside knowledge on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Must admit, I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I hate the **** Boye dent, pray nightly that Spyderco will cease to use it, and did a happy dance when I saw the Manix did not have one. The primary reason is that I find knives with the dent physically painful to close and, in some cases, impossible to close one handed. The second, is that I find it visually unpleasing since I feel that it ruins the smooth flowing line of the backstrap.

That said, I am as curious as you are why some new :spyder: front locks models include the dent, and others do not - and how that decision is made. I've said it before and will say it again, would gladly pay full MSRP for an "undented" Schempp Persian, Stretch, FRN Calypso Jr., and S30V Native. But why these model have the dent and the Chinook II and Manix do not, is a mystery to me too. The worst part is that, unlike "superfluous holes" which are relatively easy for a good machinist to fill in, the Boye dent is impossible to undo.
Paul
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

Hi Deacon. Congrats on getting your way with the Manix. It's funny, but I find that the dent not only looks better, but makes one hand closing (which I do 100% of the time) much easier and free of the slight pain I feel without the dent. To each their own I guess, but I suspect we would all love to hear Spyderco's side on this issue.
zeus

Post by zeus »

The Manix looks like a Calypso Sr. on steroids !
sven

Post by sven »

wow..... manix looks awesome

sven
steel is unforgiving... sharp steel even more so
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

zeus wrote:The Manix looks like a Calypso Sr. on steroids !
Perfectly said. I need one. I've got the GF clued in already for a Christmas present.
Pyrochazm

Post by Pyrochazm »

I'll definetly be getting one of those; it looks absoutly perfect for my needs.
"Trying to be someone else is a waste of the person you are"- Kurt Cobain
bpg

Post by bpg »

All,

What are your views regarding the pro's and con's between the Manix and the Lil' Temp? I am currently thining about buying one of the two, and since they are so close in price (on the higher end) I really don't think i can afford both at this time. Mostly, my EDC is a PE FRN Delica or a SS SE Cricket. I would like something built just a little more solid and both of these would seem to fit the bill. Thank for your advice.
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

talonturbo wrote:Hi Deacon. Congrats on getting your way with the Manix. It's funny, but I find that the dent not only looks better, but makes one hand closing (which I do 100% of the time) much easier and free of the slight pain I feel without the dent.
I have an "undented" Native that I was gripping tightly cutting through some thick material, and the tight grip combined with the movement of the knife back and forth actually unlocked the **** thing in my hand. And no, the lock's not defective. But I can hold the knife in certain grips and squeeze it so tightly that it unlocks. I would be loathe to buy a Spyderco that I'm actually going to use without the Boye Dent; if I ever end up with a Manix it might end up as collection material only, since I'm fairly attached to my fingers. However, the relative length of the exposed part of the lockbar to the thickness of the handle may make it less of an issue on this particular model. I'd have to handle one to see.