G-10 Police variations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jeff/1911

G-10 Police variations

Post by Jeff/1911 »

I have a picture of one of these with a serrated, hollow ground blade. It states on the Spyderco products page that this model has a flat ground blade. Must be a recent change, is it? I really like the looks of the hollow ground, serrated version but I suppose that the flat ground model would probably be a more effective cutter...The G-10 Police (in one form or another) will follow my Calypso and Native acquisitions. Jeff/1911.
stu

Post by stu »

Jeff,

The hollow-ground, serrated G-10 Police is the predecesor to the flat-ground G-10 police. I think! I know that I have had one for a while. Maybe the serrated ones were never flat-ground?

Now I'm confused.

Take care,

stu
stu

Post by stu »

Jeff,

The products page does make it sound like both serrated and plain are now flat-ground. If that's the case, I would have to say the hollow-ground is the previous style. However, if it is hollow-ground and has a David Boye dent, then it must be new.

As if that weren't enough; I'll add that the hollow-ground, serrated, G-10 Police I have is similar in weight(and slightly slimmer) than my flat-ground, plain-edged, G-10 Police because it has no ss liner.

Take care,

stu
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Hi all,

When Spyderco released the G-10 Police our first shipment came in hollow-ground and if I remember right did not have "Police" on the blade. It was an error as the C07G was suppose to be flat-ground from the start.

The "boo-boo" was corrected by shipment number two.

Joyce
stu

Post by stu »

Howdy,
Very interesting. Do you have any idea how many hollow-ground, G-10 Police models were sold? Mine is serrated, G-10, no liner, and marked "POLICE".

Take care,

stu
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

This is the image that I found at "Knifecenter"...

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/ ... olg10.html

I'd sure like to get one. Is this the version that was a "mistake", Joyce?

Jeff/1911.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Stu,

Thanks for your reply. Is the pocket clip on your G-10 Police model mounted with 3 screws in an arc somewhat below the pivot pin, or are they circling the pivot pin (like on the Military)? I seem to recall seeing a picture of versions built both ways. If I'm correct, then the knives built with the screws at pivot level would appear to sit a little lower in the pocket when carrying.

The reason I started looking for a hollow ground, serrated G-10 version is that I like the styling of my serrated G-10 Rookie. I thought it would be neat to have the larger version of the same knife. Jeff/1911.
stu

Post by stu »

Jeff,

Mine is identical to the picture at the KnifeCenter which you posted earlier. The screws are below the pivot pin. The Police is a great knife. I am sure you would like it. If you haven't handled one, you should. It is much larger than the Rookie.

Here is something I find interesting: this hollow-ground, G-10, serr. Police is thinner than my G-10, serr. Rookie because it has no liner. It must sacrifice some strength and possibly ease of opening, but it sure is cool.

Take care,

stu
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

I should have a chance to handle both the plain edged and serrated G-10 Police versions in the next couple weeks, as my local shop is supposedly getting in one of each. I will be interested to compare these two. Jeff/1911.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Stu,

Of course, the knives this shop gets in will likely both be the current flat ground versions. This is definitely what I would want if I were to select a plain edged design, but for a serrated I would prefer to get the hollow ground blade. I'll probably buy the PE'd, flat ground G-10 and then keep watch out for a hollow ground serrated version at knife shows, etc. I see you have both. Jeff/1911.