Discontinued Spydercos List for 2005.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Carlos

Discontinued Spydercos List for 2005.

Post by Carlos »

C13BK Progrip FRN

C64 Meerkat

C68 Gunting

C68 Gunting Trainer

C69 Lil Temperance Leaf (though the serrated version just started shipping this week!? Lil Temp 2 is in the future.)

C71Ti Salsa

C71 Salsa (aluminum Salsa 2 is in the future.)

C72 Pride

C73 Impala w/o guthook (the one with guthook is still in production.)

FB04 Perrin

FB08 Spot

FB09 Ronin

FB10 Maddox
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

I'm always amazed of how many models gets scratched every year from the Spyderco line-up. I know we all love that company very dearly and I hate to complain but if I had one thing I'd like to see changed would be a shorter list, if any, discontinued models. I bet I'm not the only one who sees a knife and swears to buy one as soon as they got money in the bank, and next thing you know, it's no longer available. Some very good too. Like why the Meerkat or the pro-grip, the gunting.....the best example in my mind is still the SpydeRench. They probably spent months working like mad scientists, trying to find a way to fit many functionnal tools in an effective, easy to carry, affordable package and they take it off the assembly line months later. I like the Persian, and I bet next year they stop making it. I know it's important to keep design moving so you don't make the same knife over and over but how about some stability here?
Right? Wrong?

-Dean
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

They are still working on bringing the Spyderwrench back. It was never dicontinued so muc as production was suspended while problems were being worked out.
- Paul Graham
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Jimmy_Dean wrote:I know it's important to keep design moving so you don't make the same knife over and over but how about some stability here?
They're still keeping the Police, Delica, Endura, Military, and Harpy as far as classic designs go and they're keeping some modern success stories, too, such as the Gunting, Dodo, and ATR.

We often don't think of it because he's a vegetarian, but Sal's gotta eat. If the designs aren't moving as fast as projected, they're an albatross.

On occasion, we harass him enough so that new-to- :spyder: folks like you and I can nab Calypso Jr's, but that's not the everyday occurrence.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

If you want a new Stretch, then maybe the Progrip has to go to open up a slot in production, distribution, and inventory. For most new models to be introduced, something else has to be displaced.
- Paul Graham
BOK

Post by BOK »

thombrogan wrote:They're still keeping the Police, Delica, Endura, Military, and Harpy as far as classic designs go and they're keeping some modern success stories, too, such as the Gunting, Dodo, and ATR.
Gunting is discontinued.
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

*sob!* :( This is so sad.. *snif!* :( Well, at least they have served you Spydernuts well... Adious Disc'd :spyder: s... Sayonara...

Sam
dialex

Lil'T II

Post by dialex »

Lil'Temp 2? What can you tell me about it?
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Carlos wrote:
C73 Impala w/o guthook (the one with guthook is still in production.)
I thought the guthook version was disco'd.

http://66.113.178.251/catalog/details.php?product=163
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Craig C

Post by Craig C »

Jimmy_Dean wrote:I'm always amazed of how many models gets scratched every year from the Spyderco line-up. I know we all love that company very dearly and I hate to complain but if I had one thing I'd like to see changed would be a shorter list, if any, discontinued models.... I know it's important to keep design moving so you don't make the same knife over and over but how about some stability here?
Right? Wrong?
I'm guessing this is the unfortunate flip side of introducing so many new models. They can probably only keep so many designs in the air at a time, and if a model isn't selling, or is primarily going to appeal to a certain set of enthusiasts, then it's going to make room for new designs.

'Stability' is probably the Delica and Endura (and maybe the Military?). I bet 90% of :spyder: 's income is from 3 or 4 knives...
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

ROM831 wrote:I thought the guthook version was disco'd.

http://66.113.178.251/catalog/details.php?product=163

?? It's in the new catalog. :confused:
- Paul Graham
jbake

Post by jbake »

dialex wrote:Lil'Temp 2? What can you tell me about it?
I saw what I think is the Lil' Temp 2 at Blade. It had a polymer (FRN?) handle. a wire clip (as I recall), similar size, leaf PE blade. It looked like a Lil' Temp with a "melt" job done on it. Like a bar of soap :)

It looked lighter, more affordable, and easier to carry.

-jb
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

BOK wrote:Gunting is discontinued.
D'oh! Forgive me. Reading large print isn't one of my strengths.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
RLR

Post by RLR »

Hello, my name is Ronin... sorry, gotta go now. My buddies Spot and Perrin are leaving the party too.

Man, those are quick decisions. Just when I started getting back into the fixed blades :rolleyes:
haji

Post by haji »

spyderco depends on their extensive network of distributors to get product to us dealers. they have to limit the number of SKU's they require the distributors to stock. Remember how many of these knives come in several variants. that's a lot of boxes to keep on the shelf.
Its all fun and games til somebody loses an eye, then its fun and games you can't see.
sal

Post by sal »

As Haji mentioned. dealers and distributors really dislike large numbers of SKUs from any one mfr. They cannot afford to inventory so many models.

The same is true of Spyderco. We can only afford to inventory so many models. When new ones come in, old ones go out, with sales being the bottom line for choice.

The disco's pieces will be around for a while on the disco'd section of the site as long as inventory lasts.

In the case of the Gunting, we will make small runs as an exclusive for Bram if he so chooses.

sal
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Hummm...
I get the idea and I'm slowly adjusting to the concept. Keep in mind that before Spyderco, I was a big Opinel fan, who have been making the same knife for over 100 years now. Everytime I wanted one, I knew I could find one for the same price and same performance as the previous one.

Just a question: does having many discontinued models every year make it harder for W/R issues? Like replacing a broken blade on a model discontinued a few years before?

-Dean
romulus

Post by romulus »

Hey people,

I'm new to the board so bear with me if I ask questions that have been answered elsewhere on the forum.

I read through the majority of this thread to try and gain as much info as poss on my question but couldn't find anything time specific so here goes...

I've been after a Spyder-wrench for some time now, I already own a Matriach, Native and have just sold my beloved Persian but wanted a Spyder-wrench because I live in the UK and as you are all probably aware, our laws on carrying are incredibly strict. The Spyder-wrench appeals to me as the clip is the same as any of the knives so familiarity of movement (task transfer) is maintained and the blade opens as would any folder which makes for the perfect EDC tool for the Brits on the board.

Can you let me know if there is a time on the introduction of the modified Spyder-wrench or should I set about getting one elsewhere (2nd hand). Also, I'd love to buy a Civilian but wanted the carbon fibre handled version for collectors sake.

Please advise, thanks