Yer most "endearing" :spyder: -collaborator?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samosaurus

Yer most "endearing" :spyder: -collaborator?

Post by samosaurus »

Yeah folks, through the years, my favorite and most endearing :spyder: -collaborator is Uncle Willam H Moran! :D His design is simple and inspires many people who have used it in the field.. I love Mr Lum, Centofante, Horn, Wegner and Mr Terzuola's contribution to :spyder: as well.. Well, who do you love most and how did his or her design inspires you?

Sam
HoB

Post by HoB »

No question, that would be Mr. Sal Glesser and his Lil'T. However, the way it looks, Mr. ERIC Glesser, just might displace him from top spot with his Manix....we will see . :) I figure they count as well as those knives bear the mark of the designer, too (at least the Lil'T does).
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha SamoRider!

For me, I like WALKER's lines, as well as CENTOFANTE's...great blade shapes! HORN, LUM, WEGNER, and HERBST are nice also...

BOTH "GLESSER's" have inspired me by being "different"...Period. One I can't wait for is from Alexandru the Great, aka Dialex...His knife has yet to meet production, but his lines are awesome and very inspirational. Add some of Ceya and Dialex and ya end up with me! LOL! Yeah, right...I wish! :D Ceya's knives must be mass produced...
The Deacon should dabble more in this...he has some awesome designs and great ideas himself!

Take care! ;)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
SURLY

Post by SURLY »

Simply~~~LUM
:spyder: "Always a Cricket"
Blades

Post by Blades »

Since the first time I saw a Bob Lum custom Chinese Folder in Blade magazine I wanted one. But I didn't have an extra $400-600.00. :eek: Oh well. Then one day I read it on these forums that Spyderco was going to make a Chinese Folder. SWEET!!! Sign me up! Then I had to wait about 2 1/2 years before it was made, but it was well worth the wait. :) I still would like to see the big Chinese Folder made, but I guess it will never happen now. :( Oh well.
The Chinese Folder is my favorite, but I do enjoy my Starmate, Centofante C50 and Vesuivus also.

Blades
Ted

Post by Ted »

My favorite so far is Bob Terzuola. During this weekend camping I carried my PE Starmate and it's a perfect folder!
I see it as a light-weight 'cheap' Sebenza
Ted
swede

Post by swede »

Hi Sam,

Looking at what I've collected, I've gotta say Terzoula wins, follwed by Walker. These are simple, old designs, which really stand the test of time. More recently, both of the Lum models are also sweet, with a nice Asian flair. Also, people often overlook the Viele. This was a beautifully made knife, if a little heavy. I treasure them all.

Dave
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Samo.
I won't mention here Sal or Eric Glesser here, not that I wouldn't appreciate their creations, but I presume you reffer to the "outsiders".
I like the simplicty of Wayne Goddard (love the Baby Wayne) and also Bob Terzuola's Starmate (the only Bob T's knife I really like). Howard Viele has a very elegant knife and the long departed E. Bradichansky has some interesting and beautiful knives.
But speaking of design and knife philosophy, the winner is... Tim Wegner. :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hi Samo,
Based on the "evidence" I'd have to say Jess Horn...
...I *think* I've now got all the variations on these. All are simple, yet elegant, designs and the C27s exhibit the finest workmanship of any knives I own. The white micarta AG Russell "Baby" in the above picture was the first Spyderco/Horn I acquired, and still one of my favorites. I'm old fashioned I guess, tend to favor the traditional over the tactial look and, to me, Mr. Horn's designs epitomize that look. I find the Ed Schempp, J.D. Smith, and Wayne Goddard collaborations very attractive as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
voxnaes

Post by voxnaes »

For me it´s Terzuola. I fell in love with a picture of the Starmate in a knifemagazine. This was the start of my taking to :spyder: .
Bob´s designs are simply perfect! :D
Vox.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

For me it's Bob Lum with the Chinese Folder, IMO the ultimate combination of looks and function.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

Hi Samo.

I have to agree with the many above who mentioned Lum. I really like my Lum designs. In addition, I haven't seen anyone mention James Keating's Chinook, Bram Frank's Gunting, or Michael Janich's Ronin. These are all among my favorites.
Mark.

'Just one of God's Critters.' :)
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

I'll second Swede on the Viele also. That one is a beuty.
Mark.

'Just one of God's Critters.' :)
charlie

Post by charlie »

Yes, for me also it's BOB LUM, My favorite Lum model is the Chinese folder.
C.P. Adams Jr.
haji

Post by haji »

My favorite is the Starmate, followed by the Persian. Ed Schemp not only did a great job on this knife, he was great to talk knives with at the SHOT show. That was reason enough on its own to put the Persian on my gotta have list. It doesn't hurt that its wonderfully comfortable and elegantly simple.
Its all fun and games til somebody loses an eye, then its fun and games you can't see.
4077th

Post by 4077th »

Lum Chinese.
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

Whoah! Mr Lum has a loyal following here! I love his fixed blade tanto.. IMHO, this is one of the finest blade :spyder: has ever produced... :D :spyder: :D

Sam
dialex

Post by dialex »

I'd love to see a Lum Chinese in G-10 :cool:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.