My first custom Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
loki88

My first custom Spyderco

Post by loki88 »

Today it was finished, my first "custom" Spyderco, after long collaborations with the people i designed the knife with it was finally finished. The " Girlie knife"! The Britney Spears of the Spyderco knives! After consulting with my two of my three daughters i thought it was time to give them their first Spyderco. First i had to figure out wich knife to purchase and design some built in safety margins. I bought a Lime Jester, rounded the tip and the front of the blade up till the serrations and removed the sharp tips of the serrations itself. This way they can't cut or stab themself unintenionaly, but they can stil cut fruit , bags etc.
So off to the fashion departement. As this is a Girlie knife i decided too give the limegreen handle a touch of pink, but the grip is still good. Then i designed a lanyard with matching colourfull beads. I used the sharpmaker to desharp the blade worked very well, although it gave me a very unpleasant feeling to "desharp" a knife. I included a picture. tell me what u think :D
Attachments
girlie.jpg
girlie.jpg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nice work Loki, great that you could find a way to give them the benefits of Spyderco with minimal risk. Hope the young ladies get many years of service from them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
thorin hammer

Post by thorin hammer »

That is a great design! Can I have one?!?! But I do have a small problem with de-sharpening a knife. I know it might seem to be safer for your little ones but, a dull knife takes more strength to use and thereby increasing the pressure put on the object being cut. When that happens the chances for an accident go way up! I sharp knife is a safe knife. If your little ones understand how to use a knife they won’t have many problems. I am not trying to tick you off. It is just that with my own personal experience, situations become sloppy with a dull knife. Just think about trying to open a cellophane bag with a dull knife. First, the knife rips instead of cutting the cellophane. Second, the bag doesn’t open across the top but splits down the side and spills the contents. And third, it takes a lot more work! Ever try to cut a tomato with a dull kitchen knife? I am sure you know what I am talking about… Just take the time to explain the use of a knife. Girls are more mature than men and I doubt they would do anything wacky like we did with knives (or me at least) when we were little.
Some laws permit what honor does not.
Got life? If you don't, get one at www.gotlife.com
Spyderco Collector #14
loki88

Post by loki88 »

u are right that indeed a sharp knife is a "safer" knife when it comes to cutting. I just took off the sharp protrusions because they are now in the " i can carry a knife with me and learn to open and close it, and learn safe knifehandling without poking someone's eyes out" phase. If they master that under my supervision without constant big faults, we go up a step to the "lets try some cutting". Then i hope the old trusty sharpmaker can get a sharp edge back on the thing, so they can do that safely too. As it is a Jester (cheap), and i bought two identicals they can go onto a sharp one immediatly. I also have to consider my wife who is used to see me collect "weaponry" but still is a little uncertain when it comes to knives and our daughters. This is a 5 step plan to safe knifehandling. The other Jester is the first knife my wife has in her possesion from today on. Before today she just called me to cut stuff, but now that poison ivy green thing is hanging on her keychain. My wife tends to "freeze" when u try to push her in a direction she doesn't want to go, so i have to take this one Jester at a time. :p
Ghibli

Post by Ghibli »

Cool modifications! :D
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

Truly bad@ss!

Sam
RAT 54

Post by RAT 54 »

Sweet, like the mod's.

Cool idea, himmmm you have me thinking now. My wife does not like FB's.... I wonder...... A pink ..... LOL

Just been TOLD that "a pink handle is not going to cut it" :o Oh Well back to the drawing board.
Ian
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Loki88!

SweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeT!!!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

So, are the valley's of the serrations still sharp?

Very good and neat idea.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
JLannoo

Post by JLannoo »

How old are your girls?

Post by loki88 »

Yes the valleys are still sharp, because it should have cutting capability, although deminished by taking off the sharp spikes. I can still cut paper very easely with the valleys. My girls are 7, 6 and 3. But this "knife" is ment for the oldest one, and maybe for #2.
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Loki, THAT is very cool. :)
loki88

Post by loki88 »

Thx Joyce, great to hear something from Spyderco. Hope Sal doesn't get nightmare by what we do with his knives!!!

OT Do u know when the new 2005 CUSTOMERS catalog is available?

I would like to ad myself to the mailinglist if possible.

I saw some beautiful knives in the now defunct Dealer online catalog. They where with wood inlay, don't remember the name.

BTW thanx for the great stuff u produce, even the cheap Jester is made with the same good attention to materials and details as the higher priced models.

Greetz from Belgium Europe
ricknhman43

Post by ricknhman43 »

I like it! What a nice touch. It looks pretty cool. That's the way to jazz up a knife. Very snazzy.

Rick
rick
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

My 4 year old girlie-girl says "Cool, I like the beads." I hope she won't decorate one of my :spyder: s and make me wear it :D .
Ray.Hood

Cool, hope she likes it.

Post by Ray.Hood »

Do they make a pink handled Spydie?
The girly-girls would love it. Me, no pink! Hmm, red, white & blue would be cool too.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Pink Jesters are readily available. My wife carries one. Hubba hubba. :rolleyes: