Numbered Stretch's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stevie Ray

Numbered Stretch's

Post by Stevie Ray »

Has anyone received their Collector Stretch's?

SR
Steve
thorin hammer

Post by thorin hammer »

Yes! Very nice knife... I only handled a Progrip (don’t own it) but I like this one better....
Some laws permit what honor does not.
Got life? If you don't, get one at www.gotlife.com
Spyderco Collector #14
sal

Post by sal »

My "Stretch" is seeing a lot of carry time.

20 years of refinement and evolution in the design.

sal
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

They look like a very nice EDC.Mine will have to wait till Xmas.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Sal,

With models like this, with inset Krayton, why do you choose steel over aluminum for the scales? It can't really be used for embelishment like the other steel models. Al, or even Mg would net you some nice weight savings.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
jhillas

Post by jhillas »

I like the steel fram on mine just fine but have never been real partial to the kraton.

I'd be interested in replacing it with G-10 or micarta, even carbon fiber.

Its a skill set that I do not posess. I wonder how VW is doping on his pro grip project?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Carlos.

Steel is considerably stronger. It will take considerably more use (& abuse) over a longer period of time than aluminum or mg. Mg requires a coating to prevent oxidation. Aluminum would also have to be coated.

Actually, The knife is not very heavy and carries easily. I believe the customer is getting more knife for their money in the steel format.

We have quite a few 20 year old steel Spyderco's still going to work every day.

sal
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Thanks guys. I called my dealer. He's checking it out. He's purdy reliable, so I suspect I'll have it soon.

SR
Steve
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

I'll have to 2nd what Sal said about the plain aluminum, even though I really like light metal scaled knives. It's tough to keep it looking nice up unless it's coated.

I polish my aluminum Police knife ..... and it looks really nice .... until I touch it. Fingerprint city. Very similar to polished aluminum engine parts ... Even if it just sits around ... without a coating ... it oxidizes.

NOW ... how's bout a Tuffram coated aluminum Stretch ... :) What say yee Sal ??? :D

Signed ...
Stretchless SR :rolleyes:
Steve
BigDog96

Post by BigDog96 »

My :spyder: Stretch will be in early this week . Looking forward to see how it will compete to go in my pocket . Appears to be a very sweet knife and everything I would need for light carry hunting when have heavy walking is a must .
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Stevie Ray wrote:Has anyone received their Collector Stretch's?

SR
Weeks ago.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
kudzu74

Idea for Sal...

Post by kudzu74 »

Hey Sal, I do have a suggestion or rather idea. Perhaps you can let us know how viable it is for it to be done or not. I like and plan on purchasing a Stretch though I was not impressed by the Pro-grip and a Spur was just to small. What would the chances on having the Stretch with other exotic inserts or materials? Would it be hard to put in color variations of G10 such as green, blue, red, etc. or perhaps carbon fiber or some other material? I know something like this might not happen right away but if there is a buzz for the knife I know most collectors such as my self would buy one of every variant just to have them in a collection. Just a thought...any opinion? Btw, I do like the handle space where you can personalize the knife with initials or whatnot! :p

:spyder: kudzu74

*Offical Member and Founder of 'Make Exotic Native Handles Movement!'
eljay

Post by eljay »

It's really not that heavy. I don't always carry a knife (well, other than my ladybug) but since I got mine I haven't carried any of my 3" Spydercos. It's a great size, nice handle shape, nice blade shape, seems pretty tough, looks nice. Quite grippy but doesn't snag when I pull it out. Just a really good all-around knife.

Doug