Will the MBC forum be back?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

Will the MBC forum be back?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Sal and friends:

Will the new Spyderco forum structure still include an MBC forum?

Stay safe,
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
sks

Post by sks »

I was wondering the same thing.
Steve
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mike. At this time we do not have a moderator.

An MBC forum would need a moderator with your skill, interest (passion), understanding, patience and ability to articulate in a civil manner.

I don't qualify, not do I have the time.

Anything is possible, the forum is, after all, for the forumites.

if I may, "What say ye augurers?"

sal
UK KEN

MBC Section

Post by UK KEN »

Hello Sal

Though I have not taken an active role in the MBC Forum, I have visited regularly and have gained from the vast knowlege of people like Mike! I, for one, would like to see the forum continued.

Regards Ken
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

yeah give the knife ninja a forum to practice his secret ninja skills....
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

I'd love to see it back, too
dialex

Post by dialex »

Now, who volunteers for moderator? ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
RAT 54

Post by RAT 54 »

There is a Kiwi saying that seems to fit. "Good on yah mate" :)

Well I think it does. Bit hard to tell what all the winking means really - could be DW just has something in his eye :p
Ian
Mr.Skin

Post by Mr.Skin »

Sal,

There was lot of good info the MBC forum. Add me to the list of members who are missing it. Until you get a new moderator, could the MBC forum be put up as a ‘read only’ archive? Are you taking resumes for the position? :)
Gavin D.
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

I too hope to see the MBC forum back. I enjoyed the oportunity to talk shop with fellow enthusiasts.
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/
cw

Post by cw »

Mr.Skin wrote:Until you get a new moderator, could the MBC forum be put up as a ‘read only’ archive?
As far as that goes, all the old forum categories were merged into the "Spyderco General Discussion" forum, so every existing MBC thread should still be in here someplace. There should have been no data lost. If there are any old threads you can't find, let us know.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

I would like to see an MBC forum again. I will also recommend Gavin/Mr. Skin as a moderator. And, for those who think MBC is some kind of "ninja" fantasy, no, it is no such thing at all.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I second Rex G's endorsement of Gavin as a moderator. He's a veteran of MBC Levels 1-4 and the 2004 Martial Blade Camp, as well as a talented Filipino Martial Arts player and security industry professional.

Gavin, you should know that it's not a paying position and you will regularly have to contend with pinhead malcontents who call you a ninja because you actually get off the couch and train to develop usable life-saving skills. Other than that, it's a blast!

Stay safe,
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

Why do you have to keep arguing that you aren't playing ninja? Ninjas defended themselves, ninjas trained, ninjas trained other ninjas, ninjas used knives, ninjas used blow guns, ninjas got beaten by firearms. You are emulating a ninja.

So I had to look a word up....

mal·con·tent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mlkn-tnt)
adj.
Dissatisfied with existing conditions.

n.
A chronically dissatisfied person.
One who rebels against the established system: “immature malcontents who have long since sold out to conformity” (John M. Wilson).

I don't see how I'm dissatisfied or being a rebel, unless you are the authority (besides the MBC authority) on this board. I'm just calling you what you are. **** you're living my dream. MY DREAM: Doing what I want to do, enjoying my job, getting paid. I wish I could convince people to play ninja with a "pocket knife" and get paid for it. I saw you on ripley's believe it or not the other day. You're a star man.

Why do you assume I'm lazy? I have a job, I go to college, I socialize, and I move around a lot.

mar·tial ( P ) Pronunciation Key (märshl)
adj.
Of, relating to, or suggestive of war.
Relating to or connected with the armed forces or the profession of arms.
Characteristic of or befitting a warrior

blade ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bld)
n.
The flat cutting part of a sharpened weapon or tool.

A sword.
A swordsman.
Archaeology. A slender, sharp-edged flake that is at least twice as long as it is wide.
A dashing youth.

A flat thin part or section, especially one that makes contact to perform a desired action: the blade of an oar; the blade of a hockey stick.
An arm of a rotating mechanism: the blade of a propeller; the blade of food processor.
A long, thin, often curved piece, as of metal or rubber, used for plowing, clearing, or wiping.
The metal runner of an ice skate.
A wide flat bone or bony part.
The flat upper surface of the tongue just behind the tip.
Botany.
The expanded part of a leaf or petal.
The leaf of grasses or similar plants

com·bat ( P ) Pronunciation Key (km-bt, kmbt)
v. com·bat·ed, or com·bat·ted com·bat·ing, or com·bat·ting com·bats or com·bats
v. tr.
To oppose in battle; fight against.
To oppose vigorously; struggle against. See Synonyms at oppose.

It doesn't seem like the name fits your program. If I heard of a program with that name and I was ignorant of the fact that you're using small knives, I'd think it was pretty cool. It makes it sound like I'm going to use a formidable weapon like a sword. Sure a pocket knife can be effective, but I'd go for a weapon of opportunity before I pulled my pocket knife out in a self defense situation. Let's see, your yojimbo (I'm assuming it's your pocket knife of choice) knife is roughly 8 inches when opened. A broom stick is roughly 4 feet. I think I'll take the broom stick. Your yojimbo (it even sounds like a ninja weapon) isn't good for throwing, a brick is, so is a rock, I think I'll take the rock. Sure you could argue that in a dark alley and a surprise attack (NINJA) I wouldn't be able to find these items. If it was happening that fast I don't think I'd have time to pull out my delica either.

When did I ever say it was a fantasy, Mr. Janich is a real life, hard training(ninja), blow gun using(ninja), yojimbo carrying (ninja), martial arts master (ninja), NINJA emulating man.

I won't bother you ninjas any more. I want you to have your own forum.

People, if you're going to worry so much about being attacked, that you seek training from Mr. Janich, think about other more practical choices, like mace, a gun, a taser, etc....

If you do it for fun, go ahead, just don't try to make it look like a serious self defense option for the common man.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

The person who is claiming not to be a malcontent has a user name that boldly proclaims he is a malcontent. BTW, the word "ninja" is a very specific term, try a search for "ninjutsu" which is a martial art. I have never known the moderator of the former MBC forum to teach ninjutsu at all.

Have Colt, will travel.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

To expand a little on my previous post, learning MBC is not just learning how to use a knife, but is learning how to use empty hand techniques against a knife, to give the defender the time/space necessary to transition to "plan B," which could either be to run away, or to access a weapon, whether firearm, blade, stick, or rock. Knife vs. knife duels are extremely rare these days, but the use of blades is relevant. Consider the intended victim of a knife-wielding rapist, who executed a desperate but successful disarm, then accessed her bedside handgun and chased him out of her house. I took that report from a common everyday person, not a "special forces operator." If a future airline passenger, unarmed as per regulation, ever has to face a terrorist armed with a smuggled blade, it will be good to have some MBC knowledge, IMHO. BTW, the "C" in MBC is for Craft, not combat. I like a separate MBC forum because it gives me the ability to quickly check for updates on life-or-death issues without having to scan through all the threads that only interest collectors.

Have Colt, will travel.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

I met Gavin at this year's MBC Camp and also think he'd make a great moderator. Go for it, Mr. Skin!
Mr.Skin

Post by Mr.Skin »

Hey Rex G., Mike J. & Mike S.,

Thanks for the endorsements. If the powers that be are serious about bring back the MBC Forum, I’d be happy to moderate it. I know the pay sucks and pinheads (and trolls) abound, no problems.
Gavin D.
ricknhman43

Post by ricknhman43 »

sk has his opinion. I have studied some self defense up here in NH. Our teacher taught us about knives and sticks, among other things. A small knife is all you really need, if you get attacked by several people who want to mug you, or have a knife pulled on you. It is nice to practice, to be able to defend against such an assault. Good footwork is nice to know. You can run away fast or if you can't, it pays to be able to fight hand to hand. Just hope you never have to use your skills. To call people "ninja" is a little much. I think a more appropriete adjective could be used. Remember, always act as a gentleman, if at all possible. Many problems we face(not all) can be solved if we adhere to this rule.

Rick
rick