MBC Training in Ohio, 8-10 October 2004

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

MBC Training in Ohio, 8-10 October 2004

Post by Michael Janich »

There are still a few slots open for the Martial Blade Concepts Level 1-3 course scheduled for 8-10 October 2004 in Grove City, OH. In this three-day course, Michael Janich will cover Levels 1, 2, and 3 of his MBC curriculum, which includes both fundamental and advanced skills of standard-grip knife use and a complete course in close-quarters reverse-grip knife tactics. Instruction will also cover 10 of the 17 reflex training drills taught in the MBC system, tactical knife selection and high-speed deployment, and live-blade cutting demonstrations. Tuition is $200.00 for level 1 only (includes a Masters of Defense training knife and an armguard, together a, $170.00 value), $300.00 for levels 1 and 2, and $400.00 for all three courses. Each day consists of an 8-hour block of instruction and includes refreshments. The seminar location is at Grove City Karate, 4068 Hoover Road, Grove City, Ohio 43123, approximately 10 miles from Columbus, Ohio. To register, please contact Dave Holloway at 614-539-5425. Enrollment is limited.

I hope to see you there.

Stay safe,
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
lokelani

Aloha Mike

Post by lokelani »

Howdy Mike~
While visiting the new website I've noticed that there is no longer an MBC Forum. I also can't find the schedule for your classes. As it was Spyderco that joined with you in creating the whole MBC concept, I find it odd that they have chosen not to promote the program on their website where people worldwide can benefit from your expertise.. What's going on?
Best wishes & Aloha~
Patti
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Patti (and anyone else that might not have heard the news):

First of all, Patti, it's good to hear from you. I hope life is treating you well.

As of 1 July 2004, I accepted a full-time position as Director of Product Development for the Masters of Defense knife company, a division of Blackhawk Products Group. In addition to helping to design and develop their product line, all aspects of my MBC training program (now known as Martial Blade Concepts to avoid confusion and out of respect for Spyderco) fall under the MOD/BPG banner. I continue to teach both public and private group seminars actively and maintain the same basic curriculum structure that I taught for four years at Spyderco. If you're interested in MBC training, please consult my web site http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com for course listings and schedules.

For those of you who knew of my position as Video Production Manager for Paladin Press, I also resigned from full-time service in that position to accept the job with MOD. However, I still remain active with Paladin as a consultant and will "keep my hand in" on special video projects for some time to come.

I must mention that Sal, Joyce, and the rest of the Spyderco gang have been very supportive of my decision and have done their part to maintain our friendship. I really appreciate that.

As for the MBC forum, even after I started work with MOD and notified Sal that I could not officially moderate the MBC forum, I continued to contribute actively to it and to respond to questions. For the record, although I was considered a moderator of the forum for the four years that I taught for Spyderco, during the last two years, I had no moderator authority and just did the best I could to keep things in order. Compared to other Internet forums, with few exceptions, the contributors to the MBC forum did a great job of self-policing without the presence of a moderator. I think that could easily continue, but I'm not confident that it will happen.

Again, Patti, thanks for dropping in. I wish you all the best. You deserve it.

Stay safe,
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
lokelani

Aloha

Post by lokelani »

Thankx for the well wishes Mike. I'm in the process of preparing to move back home to Kona, Hawaii. Very homesick. I see from another thread that Travis is now another of Spydercos many "former employees." I hope his move was a positive one. Your new work digs sound right up your alley, Mike. Nice to get your hand in the creative end of things, yeah?
Again, best wishes to you and your family.
Aloha Nui Loa~
Patti