Iaido

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Iaido

Post by Mr Blonde »

In addition to Jiu Jitsu and Aikido, I have been taking the sword art of Iaido lately. It's lots of fun, difficult too. My teacher, who is also my aikido teacher, commented that I had a certain aptitude or 'talent' for working with the sword. Mmm, I wonder why ;-).

Anyway, I think that even an old sword art, like Iaido is, has some basic principles that translate well into defensive techniques with small folders. After all, Iaido is the art of quickly drawing, defending and resheathing the sword. Are any of you familiar with Iaido? What do you think? I must add that I have not had any formal instruction in 'real' blade arts such as Escrima, but practice heavily with a sparring partner. My only formal training is in unarmed arts, and I find it refreshing to formally study a 'blade-art'. It's too bad that there aren't any escrima schools in my area.

Wouter
Jody

Post by Jody »

Mr. Blonde, welcome to the MBC forum. I've been training in Iaido for around 7 years now. I'm in complete agreement with you.

Both Iaido and knife application all follow the same pattern, cuts, thrusts, and slashes. The main difference is of course, range.

The study of the traditional arts like Iaido truly enhance your training and understanding of small blades. People don't attack you with swords anymore, but they do still attack with small knives. It's interesting how the same applications that the Samurai's used to fight 100's of years ago still apply today with our "folding swords" of this day and age. Hmmmm.

Jody

Keep your spirit up & your blades sharp!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thans Jody,

I also really appreciate the mindset that's being trained in my Iaido classes. There is much more emphasis on situational awareness during training. Keeping tabs on your fellow students, and even my teacher who has a tendency to test your awareness during the various exercises. I really like it.

Wouter