204 sharpmaker question.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Auscarl

204 sharpmaker question.

Post by Auscarl »

I Purchased a 204 sharpmaker a couple of days ago and must say im getting some great results for a newbie on some dull knives that I have.I would like to know if some of my knives still seem to have a good edge on them and I just want to keep them sharp,can I just swipe them through the white stones,or do you still have to run them through the dark stones first. Thanks for any advice.

Auscarl.
steve andrews

Post by steve andrews »

I find that once a knife is sharp I only have to use the flats of the white stones at 40 degrees to maintain it.
Sometimes I will use the corners of the grey stones at 30 degrees to take a little shoulder off.
HoB

Post by HoB »

You can definitely do touch-ups only on the whites! After all the SE blades aren't supposed to see the grays ever, according to instructions.
haji

Post by haji »

Sometimes serrated blades absolutely have to see the grey stones, and need some pretty aggressive work, too. If you're just touching up an edge, just use the fine rods.
dialex

Post by dialex »

The 204 is a great tool indeed. You don't need to use the grays unless the knife is really dull and the whites don't cope any more.

<a href="http://users.pcnet.ro/dialex"><font color=blue>(my page)</font></a>
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

From my experience of Spydercos PE's they should never have to visit the grey stones. One of my customers ordered the diamond rods for "heavy" profiling - I am waiting to get a report from re their efficiency.

Jdee
Auscarl

Post by Auscarl »

Thanks for the help guys,I have a survival knife that just needs a bit of touching up on the edge Its not too dull. I wll use the whites.