Hoffritz?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fnhp35

Hoffritz?

Post by fnhp35 »

I just got a Police with the name Hoffritz engraved on it. What's the story on it? At first I thought that it was someone that had engraved the knife, but now I'm wondering because I did a search of the name on here, and it came up with some hits. Anyone have any idea what the deal is on this knife? Thanks for your help.

Andrew
swede

Post by swede »

Back in my Chicago days, Hoffritz was a big-name cutlery company. They may still exist, I don't know. I know they had some Gerber Pauls and Spyderco models engraved with their name. Models, quantity and rarity are unknown by me.

Dave
haji

Post by haji »

I used to work for those idiots back in the day. That's about 12 years ago. They had their name put on everything they sold, until they started moving to the cheap Chinese made crap. Just about any store can have that done if they want to order enough of them. On the Cold Steel Medium CLip Mate I bought while I worked there, the name was etched one, and Flitz took most of it off. Time has removed the rest. Hoffritz was pretty close to going bankrupt. Somehow they were awarded the Cutlery World chain, that was already in bankruptcy reorganization. They kept the Hoffritz officers, and took the Cutlery World corporate name. In a lot of states, that's not legal. AFAIK, they're outa business now, because the Hoffritz officers from what I saw were hopelessy inept. They appear to have sunk both companies. How they got Cutlery World is still a mystery. Anyone else would have been a better choice to re-engineer the company than Hoffritz, including that moron that Ben and Jerry's hired as CEO from their "write an essay to tell us why you should be CEO" program (yes, that's true).
fnhp35

Post by fnhp35 »

Thanks for the help folks, now atleast I know what I've got, though, I think I'm gonna end up returning it to the ebay seller. She said it was LNIB. She mentioned some handling scratches, but it was pretty beat up. Blade is a little loose, if it's not locked out, there is a little side to side blade play. The serrations are somewhat worn down. 1 of the screws for the clip is all mess up. Anyway, I think that'll be the easiest thing. Just wait until the next good deal on a fully serrated Police. Thanks for the help again!

Andrew
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

IMO what you describe isn't LNIB or even "excellent" condition either. It sounds like just plain ol' "used."