Future of Spyderco MBC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Future of Spyderco MBC?

Post by Mr Blonde »

Now that Mike has found a new home with the good people at Blackhawk, will there still be Spycerco supported MBC programs? Will Mike continue to participate in this forum? It looks like he will though, judging from his recent posts. Will he continue to work with Spyderco on refining current and future MBC designs?

Thanks,

Wouter

Spyderco photos and reviews at: <a href= http://www.geocities.com/mrblonde50>Mr BlondeÕs Blog</a>
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Wouter:

Thanks you for your post and your questions.

When I accepted my position with Masters of Defense/BlackHawk Products Group, I formally notified Sal and the Spyderco staff that all future teaching of my curriculum would be under the MOD/BPG banner and that I could no longer serve as chief instructor of the Spyderco program. Although there is nothing secret about my curriculum, in its organized form, the outline of the material is copyright protected and therefore belongs to me personally. I will continue to teach this same curriculum in its same basic form under MOD/BPG sponsorship, so the training will definitely still be available (Please consult my web site martialbladecraft.com for an updated schedule of training events). I do not know if Spyderco plans to seek out another instructor/curriculum to teach under their banner.

During my four-year tenure as Spyderco's MBC instructor, I moderated this forum free of charge. Due to the requirements of my other duties and my reponsibilities to my new employer, I can no longer do so. However, because of my loyalty to MBC alumni and the other folks on this forum, I will do my best to continue to contribute as time allows.

I will also continue to support Spyderco's efforts to market my existing Spyderco knife designs (the Ronin and Yojimbo); however, I will not be able to design any other knives for Spyderco while I am employed by MOD/BPG. All my creative and design efforts will be geared toward the MOD/BPG product line.

I hope this answers your questions. Thanks again for your interest.

Stay safe,

mike j
sks

Post by sks »

Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

To Steve and all:

I certainly did not mean to exclude Bram's program or his teaching in any way in my explanation of my situation. Obviously the Gunting is central to Bram's approach to MBC and therefore ties him closely to Spyderco. However, Spyderco has never officially embraced Bram's program or formally sanctioned it under their corporate banner as they did with my curriculum. Perhaps it's time...

Stay safe,

mike j
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Michael, thanks for the reply. I really like you approach to MBC and of course Spyderco, so I was especially excited when "you two" started collaborating. It's good to hear that your MBC training will still be available,

Wouter
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Thanks Mike..
I was out of town..teaching & having my 51st...or I'd have posted sooner..
Look guys..Mikes not dying or anything..just follow him to MOD MBC...it's not too hard..ROFL and his typing finger works fine...
Spyderco? Mikes right..they NEVER endorsed my version of teaching ..Gunting -CRMIPT MBC and no matter of my early articles trying to garner support for the new MBC..
And I've always been a vocal supporter of Mikes MBC program..Why not? its great stuff..
not only was Mike was the onsite guy..Chief Instructor and creator of the Spyderco program...but he became THE Spyderco MBC program...
BUT..why worry about if it's Spyderco or MOD?
Mikes still the guy...
Go get some good training..

Spyderco's loss is MODs gain & good luck!

be safe Mike...congrats on the move!!!

Bram