safety tip=tip down

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sharp

safety tip=tip down

Post by sharp »

hi guys and gals!the new trend with the new slick opening folders can be a hazard when in tip up carry mode,i have had a few open in my pocket or in a fast draw just by inertia and this may be a bad way to carry your folder, so if its a tip up make sure the blade detent does its work.keep it sharp and keep it safe!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Well, just don't use folders with ball detents and you should be better off. Lockbacks, Compression Locks, and Ball-bearing Locks should all work much better in that regard and be easier to manufacture in a reliable manner as well.

-Thom Brogan <a href="http://www.tntbrogan.com" target="_blank">Pictures</a> of our daughter, Cynthia
Alan2112

Post by Alan2112 »

I've find it to be just the oposite! I had our Military open (and no I don't loosen the pivot screw!) in my duty paints given my right pocket some ventilation. RKBA!
sharp

Post by sharp »

thom! cute pic´s!
sharp

Post by sharp »

in a legpocket the mili could be fully open and locked if it was a tip up,good thing it´s a tip down!and this is just my opinion!! be safe and take care.....
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Alan2112,

I guess the bottom line is that the spine of the blade should always be pressing against some form of stopper such as the side of a pocket.

Sharp,

Thanks. We made her ourselves!

My quicket opening knife is a tip-down liner-locked folder. Just pulling it out of my pocket springs it open.

-Thom Brogan <a href="http://www.tntbrogan.com" target="_blank">Pictures</a> of our daughter, Cynthia
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I've had tip-down knives open in my pocket as well. At least when you are a rightie you can place the spine of a tip-up knife against the seam of your pocket and stop it from opening in any case.
grahjas

Post by grahjas »

I have never had a bali open in my pocket, at least not one with a good latch. And, if you keep it tip up, you can do a latch drop and it will be open as soon as it clears you pocket. a good, safe, quick knife. can't wait for my spydie to arrive
Alan2112

Post by Alan2112 »

Thom, and Carlos you guys have it right. I'd rather have it safe, then faster deployment!
sharp

Post by sharp »

allan2112- yes sir! i must be dead wrong!
Alan2112

Post by Alan2112 »

Sharp, you are not wrong. It boils down to what works for you, like syle of blade or blade steel. I just feel that tip up is safer with the knife in my right front pocket, and the spine resting against the rear of the pocket. Another advantage is if you have to crawl around on the ground with a knife clipped into your front pocket it what get clogged with dirt, grass or sand in the pivot area. I had this happen durring M-16 qualifications. Disregard if you can remember before hand to move the knife to a safer carry place.