Need info on "Byrds"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swede

Need info on "Byrds"

Post by swede »

I've noticed a few of these on ebay, distributed by Spyderco, nice-looking micarta handles, sort of curved, tear-drop-shaped opening hole. I suspect they're made in China, but don't know for sure. Is this a limited run?

Thanks for any info.

Dave
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Hi Dave,

My understanding is that Sal is testing a new market segment and price point with the Byrd branded knives. I'm not sure where they're being manufactured, but there's a recent thread on Blade Forums where Sal talked about his strategy.

Steve
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You might also want to check out <A HREF="http://www.spyderco.com/forum/Topic.asp ... cussion">a tread on this forum started by Sal</A> for more info on the Byrd line.

Paul
swede

Post by swede »

Thanks, guys.

Dave
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

They're made in China. Seem to be nice looking from the pictures I've seen, but I'd like to get my hands on one and do a little qualitative examination.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha!
So would I Zrexxer, so would I! BTW, KOT, but was the Salsa made entirely in taiwan or was just the blade? I was expecting to see Seki City but Taiwain?!

God will put you over...if you let Him! John 14: 13,14...try it, it WORKS!
sal

Post by sal »

The "byrd" line is a line of knives that was created for and is being developed for manufacture in China. It is difficult for an American manufactuer or Seki manufacturer to compete price-wise with the Chinese makers. Quality and control is not where I would like it for a Spyderco name. But they are good enough for a decent quality product as long as we work closely with them.

the "byrd" line has targeted to be "the best of the Chinese made knives" as a goal.

The first offering (the Harrier & Sparrowhawk) were acceptable in fit and finish, lock strength tested well. 100% QC revealed some lock defeats (that were destroyed). Action was poor. This maker will need more attention. There are about 1000 or so on the market. They'll not be re-made as they are. If the "byrd" line is successful, they might have some collector value as being "early byrds".

Early Spydercos (1981) weren't all that great either.

We have another half dozen designs that we'll be offering in the next 6-12 months. All small production runs. MSRPs will be in the $25 - $35 range. We'll be using 440C, AUS-6 & AUS-8.

We will make sure that quality is in the "good" range for the price point. "byrds" are not Spydercos nor are they intended to satisfy the Spyderco aficianado.

They are being created to provide a good folder with attention to the important features like safety and performance. Aimed for the newer knife buyer or the knife buyer that appreciates better quality but simply can't afford the higher line Spyderco pieces.

They are not good enough until I say they're good enough so many of the same philosophies will apply.

On the Salsa model, we are fortunate enough to have a relashionship with a very quality conscious maker.

sal