small backpaker by G. Sakai

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
satherton

small backpaker by G. Sakai

Post by satherton »

I am interested in purchasing the small backpacker by G. Sakai, but I've never handled a sample. How does its quality compare to the rest of the Spyderco lineup? I'm looking for a more "traditional" pocketknife without the hole and clip. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

I can't really help you as I've never owned one. However I just checked them out on the website and noticed that the blade is AUS6. The knives in the Spyderco range have superior steels like AUS8, ATS55, VG10 and CPM440V. As much as I like traditional patterns, in the long run it is the ability to cut and hold an edge which really matters and the steel is the most imprtant consideration for me. Why not have a closer look at the Spyderco range, clips can always be removed and there are knives like the Native without a hump so that the hole is not so obtrusive. My favourites are the knives with flat ground blades like the Dragonfly, Calypso Jr, Chinese Folder and Military.

Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow, in Australia it's tomorrow already.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

The fit, finish, and lockup on the Backpacker folders from G. Sakai is excellent. I will admit that the price seems a LITTLE high for a knife with AUS6 steel. To a certain degree I think that all the hoopla over steel types is somewhat overrated. AUS6 will probably not hold an edge as well as some of the new wonder steels, but it will be a heck of a lot easier to sharpen in the field. Another aspect of the Backpacker that concerns me is the kraton inlays. In general I have tried to avoid kraton on folders as it tends to come loose after a while. On the other hand, Spydercos with kraton tend to hold up very well, much better than some other companies. There is a distinct possibility that those Spydercos with kraton were made by G. Sakai.

So, I will ask you--How do you feel about edge holding vs. ease of sharpening? How do you feel about kraton rubber for a handle material? Otherwise the Backpacker is a very well made lockback.
Paul
satherton

Post by satherton »

I would like to thank everyone for their input. Actually, I have 3 spydercos--Old Delica (AUS-8), New Delica (ATS-55) and Wegner Jr. (ATS-34). I also have 2 Benchmades--330 (ATS-34) and AFCK (ATS-34). I should have mentioned that this knife is a gift for a young man (age 10). I thought it would be better for him to start with a lockback knife which had steel that was easier to sharpen. Since I have always been impressed with Spyderco's quality, I thought that the G. Sakai line would have equivalent quality. This might give a little more perspective on the decision making. Thanks.
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

Opps, humble apologies for the "newbie" answer. I think the knife in question would make an ideal first (?) knife for a youngster. I believe G. Sakai is one of the most respected makers in Seki City. I have a "Firefly" made by them and it is a very nicely made little knife.

Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow, in Australia it's tomorrow already.
sal

Post by sal »

The Backpackers are very nice models, and more traditional than most Spydercos. They are well made and have an excellent service record. Kraton is a nice touch and holds up well in our models.

AUS-6 (6A) is a good steel. It is held in lower regard by we "steel snobs", but when compared to most of the other "general knife steels", it delivers well. 6A has about .6% carbon, holds and edge fairly well, resists corrosion well.

In the world of Autos, 6A is your basic Chevy, Ford. Exotics like CPM and VIM VAR BG-42 are in the Ferrari, Aston Martin area.

6A is also easier to heat treat correctly than the exotics, so the chances of consistancy is greater.

sal
satherton

Post by satherton »

I would like to thank everyone, especially Sal, for their contributions. I will definitely give the small backpacker a shot!