Owners Wanted? Whick Spyderco Do I Buy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Clay,

I should have known that you knew what you were talking about. I’ve gathered that already. So, since I really like the looks of the Micarta handles, but am partial to the plain edged version & given the AUS-8 steel issue (which I also like OK but want G-10) I think I will not buy the Micarta serrated model available locally.

I have polled one other local distributor of Spyderco products to see if his supplier may still have a PE Micarta in stock or available to him; because this version I would be interested in. I also enquired about the full sized Calypso…Wow, does that knife ever look nice. It looks to me like a folding butchers knife! I realize they may have been discontinued for awhile, but it’s worth asking about. I’ve decided that I will own one of these someday; somehow.

So if I can’t find a Micarta PE Calypso Jr. then I will simply buy the “new style” w/ FRN handle which look great too. I suppose the other alternative here, is for me to look for one to buy (Micarta Calypso Jr. PE) by auction from ebay or elsewhere…but I haven’t yet ever done this and am not comfortable with the idea. Besides, hailing from Canada I am concerned that if I buy a knife this way I may never receive it; possibly being seized by Canada Customs on one of their infamous “bad day’s”.

Listen to me ramble. Aside from my desires for a G-10 Police model and a Harpy of some variety, I still want to get both a nice Calypso Jr. and a Native. If it were you, what blade configuration would you choose for these? The Calypso seems to naturally gravitate towards a plain edge in my
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

Jeff,

I'm not a good person to talk to about edge configuration. All my knives are plain edge as I find that suits my uses better. The only exception is my G10 Harpy which is my "on the water" emergency knife.

It is also possible to sharpen a plain blade with a coarse stone so that it performs well on fibrous materials. Have you seen Joe Talmadges FAQ on Sharpening and Serrated blades? Here is the link http://www.bladeforums.com/features/faqs.shtml.

BTW you may find one of the micarta Calypsos, large or small, in the For Sale Forum at Bladeforums.com. They come up from time to time.

Take care,
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow, in Australia it's tomorrow already.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Clay,

My last post was cut off somehow, probably for the best as I was truly rambling late last night. I'll have a look at that sharpening faq, thanks. I will also watch the "for sales" at Bladeforums.

I was going to ask you what kinds of cutting you ended up doing with your Harpy...besides it's emergency role you mention. I really want to get one but am wondering what I will cut with it. Who cares, I guess. I really am set on becoming a small time collector of Spyderco knives.

By the way, sorry to badger you about edge styles; I know you already answered that question several posts ago. I'm going to post for others here to inquire about their opinions of a serrated Calypso Jr. to see how different people use them. I think a plain edge is best for me too, probably as it just seems to "fit" with the Calypso blade design. I am interested in the opinions and experience of owners, however.

Cheers, Jeff/1911.
justin

Post by justin »

Gotta second the motion for Navigator. Owned the older Alimite version and the Grip is really good. The co-pilot is very similar and I haven't handled it so I cannot say for sure but the handle looks a little smaller. Also have a sharpmaker and use it for everything. A great system all around. Hope this helps. I want to get my hands on a cricket.
EXLONGARM

Post by EXLONGARM »

I own a POLICE, serated, and I love it. It's a little on the pricey side, but other than that it's a good knife. I've had for almost two years now and I've only had to sharpen it once, by an expert of course.
Walt2

Post by Walt2 »

Hey, Wolfsburgman, while you are taking a look at the number of Spydies available give the new version of the Viele (VG10 steel)a look. I recently purchased this new version and am well pleased with the plain edge. Personally I have been sharpening and using knives 50+ years and do not care for the serrated blades unless I intend to cut rope or something similar, however the serrated blades are surperior if you are in law enforcement or fire & ems for the purpose of having to cut seat belts in an emergency. You can sharpen a plain edge with a coarser stone and get good results also but I have tried both methods on the seat belts and have had better luck with the serrated versions.Good Luck!!

Edited by - Walt2 on 4/27/2001 9:57:56 AM
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

Etiquette questions please -- as a relative newbie to this forum, I'm not up to snuff on the etiquette of this forum.

There may be some duplication of a couple posts, but there are something like 16 posts in this thread that are partly or solely a conversation between 2 people on subjects not related to the opening post. Isn't that what is called "stepping on" someone else's post? Or is that okay here?

Stare
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Stare, actually we find it helps as it gives a full view on the subject in question. You get both sides of every subject when you have a few people sharing experiences.