Question about the Native Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spetsdod

Question about the Native Lightweight

Post by Spetsdod »

Hello from Alaska;

I'm getting ready to buy my third Spyderco (one broken Endura Clipit clip and one lost) and I have a question about the Native Lightweight. I was looking at the Online Store and I can't tell positively from the description if the clip for the Native Lightweight is blackened metal or a plastic/nylon clip. I have traditionally used Endura's but a friend bought a Native LW at a Sportsman show up here recently and I really like it. Since my last one "disappeared" I am ready to replace it and the Native looks like a nice way to go.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, both on the clip and the knife itself. Gotta love the Spyderco. The knife is just plain incredible.

Thank you for your time.

Spetsdod

Anchorage, Alaska
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

The Native is a very good knife, but not my favorite. Had two sold both. Just didn't set
in MY hand very well. Suggest that you also consider the Calypso jr.lwt. An amazing
little knife! Both the Native and the Calypso are about the same size ,cut about the same.
The Calypso fits the hand so well it really is a "Hi performance" knife. Never to little,
never to much. Either way you'll have really good knife for everyday carry.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Spetsdod. Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

The clip on the Native is a black metal tip up left/right clip.

sal
Spetsdod

Post by Spetsdod »

Thanks for the replys, Tightwad and Sal. I'm anxious to get my new blade. I reach for the missing tool all the time, then remember it's gone and have to resort to my Leatherman Micra. =(

I looked at the Calypso and I think it's probably a bit too small for what I want. I have an authorized training knife that is a perfect size match for the Endura and I use it as part of my martial arts training, so I think I want to stick as close to that size as possible.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback.

Spetsdod-
Anchorage, Alaska
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sptetsdod. We also make an Endura "Trainer".

sal
toothed

Post by toothed »

The Native is a nice size for EDC; however, I don't carry mine because of safety concerns. The blade is oriented in the tip up position when clipped onto the pocket. The danger is that there is very little protection from the point of the blade by the handle. The locking spring on mine (might be an abberration on my knife only) is "fairly soft" and does not hold the blade closed securely enough for my comfort. To compound this situation, the point of the blade sits very close to the edge of the handle--just a few fractions of an inch travel and the point is exposed. Ouch. My recommendation is for Spyderco to either build up the butt area of the handle to cover more blade or modify the mechanicals to seat the blade deeper into the handle. (I think the reversable clip screw may preclude the latter option).

Edited by - toothed on 5/11/2001 8:00:36 PM
sal

Post by sal »

Hi PAT. Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal