Dozier Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dynaryder

Dozier Delica?

Post by dynaryder »

Wonder what the inspiration for this was:

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_make ... older.html

At least the hole isn't round. I've got one of his other Ka-Bar folders. They're nice knives for the price.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, I see a lot of "infuences" here. I'm kind of weak on the history of knives but someone hundreds, perhaps thousands, of years ago had to be the first to build a knife that featured a blade which rotated in the vertical plane around a horizontal pivot pin, that idea has inspired and influenced knifemakers ever since. Someone was the first to come up with the lock back mechanism which, despite having been refined and relocated in various ways, must certainly be considered an inspiration and influence for all of them. Someone was first to think of the idea of a one piece handle molded out of reinforced plastic, many have been inspired and influenced by that since. The idea of a hole in the blade as an opening device has similarly inspired, influenced, and been adopted, in one shape or another, by many since its introduction. Finally, out of all the possible shapes a folding knife's blade could possibly take, there are probably less than a dozen that get used over and over again. This is the fate of good ideas, once one person thinks of it, others see the benefit and adopt, adapt, refine, and even occasionally improve upon it. Ideas like <A HREF='http://www.1strateknives.com/crmadoblfikn.html'> this one</A>, on the other hand, will probably, thankfully, remain unique.

But to answer your direct question dyanrider, I really don't see enough of the Delica in Dozier's design to think it was a direct inspiration for him. If there really is a "direct" Spydie inspiration here, I'd bet on the Goddard lightweight.

Paul
sal

Post by sal »

I would guess that both Bob Dozier and I were influenced by Blackie Collins and his FRN handled Gerber model.

Spyderco introduced an integral clip back in '90 but we could never come up with a reliable cross section to avoid breakage so we went back to the metal clips.

sal