paramilitary

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gunorthopod

paramilitary

Post by gunorthopod »

Just got my para with serrated edge.Love the light weight.Opening was rather rough and gritty at first,but I lubricated it and played with the central allen screws(is this ok?) and now the action is much smoother and allows for inertial opening.

It seems less solid than my Chinook II and I wonder if the compression lock is as strong.Seems rather flimsy to me.Am I wrong?

illegitimi non carborundum
The Cool

Post by The Cool »

I don't know about the Paramillie's lock , as I'm still awaiting to receive mine, but the Compression Lock is anything but flimsy.

The Compression lock is one of the strongest locks Spyderco makes. The same lock is on the Gunting and Lil'Temperance and they are both MBC rated (Spyderco's highest strength rating).
Ted

Post by Ted »

The compression lock is a very reliable lock. I don't know of any cutting-movement that would possibly unlock it.
The lock itself in the Para is 'less' strong then on the Chinook II (which is one of the strongs on planet Earth)

The Chinook II is approx 1000 lbs/inch (Chinook I was MBC = 800 lbs/inch)

The Para was just below MBC from what I've heard.

So in summary, it's very reliable, and just below MBC (heavy duty?!)

Spyderco puts a lot of work and testing in their locks. Even when a model is in production, they continue to break a model on a fixed interval, to check if all the materials still behave the same. If a model would break at a lower or higher rating, they will find the component that caused it and fix it if required.

Ted