How does your Para cut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

How does your Para cut?

Post by gull wing »

How well does it cut? Has anyone put their Para to the test? I have one on the way and am wondering, does it slice as well as my Calypso Jr. Although, with that 5/32" blade they may not have ground the blade as thin as the Calypso.

Can't wait to grasp mine.
timlara

Post by timlara »

gull wing: Funny you should mention the Calypso Jr.! I've been carrying my Paramillie every day for a couple of weeks now, and I actually feel like it is more of a burly version of the Calypso Jr. than a smaller version of the Military. The Calypso Jr. was my favorite EDC (and still is for a lighter option), so that probably has a lot to do with why I like the Paramillie so much.

While the blade grind is not as thin, it does still have that "laser like" precision when cutting and makes cardboard feel like paper. I have also found that the Paramillie works great as a portable paring knife for cutting up fruit, etc, which is something I did a lot of with my Calypso Jr.

So far, after 2 weeks of breaking down cardboard boxes and cutting up just about everything else in sight, the Paramillie still shaves and side cuts paper without a touch up. Not bad! I think you'll like it.
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

I agree that the Para almost feels like a burly Calypso Jr. Mine cuts like a champ.
Matt
pvr4

Post by pvr4 »

The para cuts so well. What has been odd for me is that it feels like I am holding a Military and so I try to cut as if I had the Military in my hand and the action isn't quite the same. It's like the Para tricks me a bit. It has kept an edge and has been one part of my EDC since I got it. The other part being an SE Dodo.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thank you for the great reports. This is most encouraging. I too eat a lot of apples and Calypso is usually hard at work.