Reverse Grip: Edge-In (Pikal)/Forward Grip: Edge-Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr.Skin

Reverse Grip: Edge-In (Pikal)/Forward Grip: Edge-Up

Post by Mr.Skin »

On MDTactical.com is listed a DVD called ShivWorks DVD training video. If you haven't heard of ShivWorks.com check out their site. They list themselves as "A collective mind-trust for alleyway solutions" and currently have 10 .pdf files demonstrating different confrontational situations/solutions, but I degrees.

The DVD is titled "Reverse Edge Methods" and it covers using a blade in reverse grip with the edge-in (Pikal) and in forward grip edge-up. The primary action for both is thrusting (or a knife jab). If the primary action is fowled the secondary action is to hooking/sheering the obstacle. The DVD is straight forward, clear and contains solid material. Methods of carry and specific tools are also covered (ShivWorks has several knives designed for edge-up and edge-in use). If thrusting to the body doesn’t fit into your self-defense arsenal the hooking/sheering is still worth looking at. ShivWorks has the only real media I've seen on Pikal Grip and edge-up methods.

What does this have to do with MBC? First Luvbug pointed out (in Grips and Yojimbo thread) that Pikal was gaining popularity. I’ve to agree. The same week I got the "Reverse Edge Methods" DVD I also picked up the May ’04 Tactical Knives magazine. The cover article (by Mike Janich) was on the Nealy-Pick Tactical Knife, which has a Pikal flavor. In the same issue a different article points out that the Syderco Ronin can be used in edge-in. Second "Reverse Edge Methods" is usable by anyone who carries double edged blade. And finally even if you it’s not something you'd use, it's nice to see what the other guy might have seen. "Absorb what is useful..."-Bruce Lee

Gavin D.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

Hey Gavin! How have you been? I, too, commend this DVD.