Dodo as Krambit

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cdf

Dodo as Krambit

Post by cdf »

I wonder if the dodo is in fact the thinking man,s krambit . Around here the krambit would excite the local Gendarmes quite a bit, a dodo is wellbelow radar ,& looks cute ,plus it has a lot of utility potential. I,ve always been a lover of long handles & shorter blades . 2.5 to 3 inches is ok by me (except for bread slicing).

Any chance of MBC training sites in Canada? If it ever happens count me in.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear CDF:

You're a man after my own heart.

I mentioned on a previous thread that I have been playing with the Dodo a lot lately and find it to have many of the advantages of the kerambit without the disadvantages. I am also working on modifying a Dodo to make it a bit more "kerambbalicious."

Many traditional kerambits did not have rings, and they worked just fine. The presence of a ring may also cause other problems, but I'd rather not comment on that in an open forum.

Dodo on!

Stay safe,

mike j
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

Hi Michael,

Are you willing to share your thoughts on how you are modifying your Dodo? I am quite taken by the knife thing myself. It certainly holds well in the thumb-on-spine grip.

Also, do you have any idea of the strength rating for the lock? I imagine it should be reasonably high.

Clinton
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Clinton:

Once I've got one tuned the way I want it, I'll post details and pictures. I'm waiting on some raw materials from a knifemaking supply house to finish the job.

Stay safe,

mike j
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

The Dodo certainly wears many hats, and is a wonderful little knife.

Though it might not be my first self-defense knife choice, I'd certainly not feel unarmed if it was all I had.

And yes, I agree with using it as a karambit; with that wicked, little blade jutting out the bottom of a fist, it would be a major force multiplier to a jab punch.

I love the Dodo's handle, and believe it's the key to the knife's success and appeal.

And, as was already pointed out, the Dodo, especially in it's blue handle decor, doesn't scream "weapon". Rather, it looks kind of like a....carpet cutter or something.

Sniper -- One Shot, One Kill Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Sure looks darn cute to me, think its gonna knock the Cricket off in that catagory.
I cant wait to feel mine in my grubby lill paws, I got a feeling it will make a wonderful fist load with that lill blade popping out.

Cheers

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

Hi Mike,

>Once I've got one tuned the way I want it, I'll post details and pictures.

I am looking forward to seeing the results.

>I'm waiting on some raw materials from a knifemaking supply house to finish the job.

I had mine apart over the weekend to tune up the lock a bit. As received, it was just *barely* locking up. Some work with the diamond stone and spyderstones to smooth up the tang and it is looking pretty good. For the tinkerer in me, this is a really interesting design. Simply buying two slabs of G-10, a bit of careful drilling and some shaping, and one can have a completely different handle shape using the basic BB lock frame and blade. It almost invites modification!

Best regards

Clinton
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

A little computer nerdling last night. Now, if I can find a welder to put some metal on the hump of the dodo... ;-)

Clinton