Knife maintenence tip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
baszerkawits

Knife maintenence tip?

Post by baszerkawits »

I was told by the owner of a knife shop that some people spray a thin coat of WD40 on the blade of the knife and let it dry. He said that this prevents rusting and will make the blade last longer.

I don't know if I should trust him, or that it is a useful tip. I would like to know before I do anything stupid to a new knife.

Maybe all of you know this already and I'm stupid?
ramlanrafie

Post by ramlanrafie »

with due respect to the company that produce WD40, i don't think the main function of this product to make the BLADE LAST LONGER

i think there's more better products for your particular need

anybody have an idea so that i can share with. who know NEW PRODUCT just come out
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Well Ive never heard that BUT, I personally always cover my entire blade and all metal parts with a good "lubrication system" like Dura Lube or the likes, let it lie over night so the metal can "absorb" it then wipe it clean, I may be wrong but Ive found my blades dont need any oiling in the locking systems and never get any form of rust on them, they always stay in gr8 shape.

Seeya l8tr

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
cerulean

Post by cerulean »

You really don't have to oil stainless steel blades, unless you live in an extremely humid enviroment and/or use your knife consistently in a way that would promote corrosion. Just cleaning the blade with soap and water on a regular basis should be enough to prevent any serious rust from forming.

Living in Colorado, it's so incredibly dry that I can carry carbon steel knives and get by without oiling them.

If you do want to oil the knife though, I'd personally recommend mineral oil. You can find it at any grocery store and it's non-toxic, unlike WD40 and similar oils. Or, if you're really concerned about rust prevention, Sentry Solutions' "Tuf-Cloth" and "Marine Tuf-Cloth" are the way to go.
LethalWeapon

Post by LethalWeapon »

I've always been partial to BREAK FREE myself. Alas most of my experience has been with pistols not knives.
cutler34

Post by cutler34 »

I use White Lightning for the pivot and a Marine Tuf cloth for the blade. WD40 is Stoddart Solvent and is designed to evaporate away.If it didn't evaporate it would cause corrosion of the metal.

Regards
Ricki
info@outdooredge.com.au
Spyderco Club Member
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Why use WD40? It's because it's a water displacment thing. If you spray your blade, any moisture will actually dry up(try it on a bike frame, and see what I mean). I put gun blueing oil on my knives, and it works fine... does the same thing, and doesn't soak in or anything...

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...