Questions on Crystalized Titanium

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SilverDragon

Questions on Crystalized Titanium

Post by SilverDragon »

On one of my random web searches for knives, I bumped into the brand, Boker.

They apparently have a few knives with blades made with this substance, Crystalized Titanium.

I saw a few picks and it looks like a cool mosaic of blue-ish crystals.

Does anybody know anything about Crystalized Titanium? How practical is it? How hard is it? Is it really sharp? How long does it stay sharp with normal use?

Can anybody please help me out here? -Thanks

-Silver Dragon
pyrguy

Post by pyrguy »

I've got one of those. I used it for normal day to day stuff. Kept the edge OK but it is softer than steel. Easy to sharpen more or less. But the cool factor for the non-knuts is WAY up there. They "like the pretty colors".

There's a fine line between
druid

Post by druid »

I think jet turbo fan blades made of a singel ti cyrstle latis,i have no point...........
SilverDragon

Post by SilverDragon »

Thanks for the info guys! I do think it looks 'purty' but I was wondering about the performance.

I see some Boker Utility fixed blades with this feature, going for clearance at some websites. I might pick one up for novelty.

-Silver Dragon
dialex

Post by dialex »

You may check also missionknives.com, they deal a lot with titanium and there are some interesting articles there.
Nowadays there are titanium precipitate alloys that are comparable to the ATS-34 (or 154 CM if you preffer) in terms of edge retention, which is great (for titanium). Yet far from the S30 or even the VG-10 Spyderco currently uses.

<a href="http://users.pcnet.ro/dialex"><font color=blue>(my page)</font></a>