Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2010 Report - Prototype Pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I like that, I definitely would like to try out a Caly 3.5.
Mr Blonde

Bob Lum Chinese Folder Carbon Fiber

Post by Mr Blonde »

Sal had been dropping hints on the forums about a carbon fiber Chinese Folder, and the prototype did not disappoint. This is a wild CF pattern but the surface is glossy and shiny, which doesn’t really come across in these pics.

Sal had an interesting story about this carbon fiber. It is unknown how this CF is made, but it is suspected that it was made with a special rotary weaving machine at Toyota. IIRC, Toyota started out making sowing machines, and they also made industrial versions to weave laminates for their cars. A youtube clip was release some time back that showed such a rotary weaver at work, making a carbon fiber weave, but it was pulled shortly after by Toyota. It is a proprietary method.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Bob Lum Large Chinese Folder

Post by Mr Blonde »

For someone like me, who is obsessed with Chinese Folders, this was quite a change. It’s big! At least for a Chinese Folder. The blade length was about 4,5 inches. Both the handle and linerlock have been beefed up to support this blade. The clip can be mounted on all 4 positions. The main purpose of this design must have been a folding camp knife. It did feel a bit clunky in the hand, the balance wasn’t quite what I would like. Perhaps the liner will become skeletonized to create a slightly blade-heavy folder. I’m kind of curious to see what the outdoor crowd will think of this knife.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Super Leaf

Post by Mr Blonde »

From the Lums it’s a small step to the successor of the Super Hawk, the Super Leaf. Now this knife may look a bit clunky and boxy, but the grip and balance is just right. This was one sweet handling folder. Don’t change a thing, I’ll take it as is. It’s kind of like an improved original large Manix. The edges on the handle are nice and rounded. The construction looked pretty good; thick blade, compression lock, thick liners and thick G10 slabs. It looked like a tough folder, but it was a lightweight in the hand.

I kind of hope that a serrated version will be made. It is possible. The Super Leaf was made because of customer requests when they saw the Super Hawk, which in turn was made because of customer requests on the forums…

Wouter
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Great review as always Wouter :cool:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Oh boy, I know what else is coming *hint-check Wouter's website*. Wow Spyderco! Can I use my college tuition to buy knives? What a great surprise!
Mr Blonde

Sage 3 – Black Collins

Post by Mr Blonde »

I absolutely did not expect to like this knife so much as I did. The same went for many of the attendees I talked to about this knife. This is one sweet handling, slick opening/closing folder. The Bolt Action Lock is very smooth and positive, no blade play in any direction. Furthermore, it’s completely ambi. I was operating the lock with two fingers, like a bolt lock, but a fellow spyderknut showed me that it works just as well when you operate only one of the knobs. You don’t even ‘force’ the action to the opposite side of the handle, when you operate the lock one-handed in this fashion.

The knife was originally designed by Sal, who was going for a mix between a Native and a Caly 3. It is a very practical design, and since this is the first true ambi lock it’s going high on my wish list. I really recommend this Sage.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

UKPK Slipit FRN

Post by Mr Blonde »

The goal of this line of FRN UKPK slipits is more or less to put quality spydies in the hands of people all over the world who will actually use it. Oddly enough, there aren’t many people who use their e.g. Howard Viele Phoenix knives as hard as they should ;) . This FRN slipit really reminded me of the original Delica 2. It’s very –very- lightweight, very pointy and an edge that’s ground thin and sharp. The stonewash finish is similar to the Manix 2 and the surface finish on the FRN handle comes close to actual G10. This is definitely a working folder.

I love my burgundy drop point version, that I found in my goodie bag. The action is not as tight as on my G10 UKPKs, so that is something to take into account when considering this folder. The UKPK slipit FRN is easier to open…and to close. The choil prevents any cuts, but personally I’d like to see the action a wee bit tighter. I’ll experiment with some tightening of the pivot in the next few days. The smooth action makes playing around with this knife a very addictive though.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

UKPK Slipit Titanium

Post by Mr Blonde »

Yeah! Let’s get some NASA-type action on these UKPKs! The titanium is thicker and heftier than I expected. The opening and closing action is just right for me, not too easy and not too tight. The ti handle makes the UKPK feel like a ‘serious’ knife. The knife seemed a bit thicker than the regular G10 versions.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

UKPK Slipit Carbon Fiber

Post by Mr Blonde »

A more ‘classy’ interpretation of the UKPK was this CF version. The CF is more shiny than the CF we’ve seen on the ZDP Caly 3 or the Native 4, but it’s still not as shiny as my sprint run Delica 3. The dimensions and feel seemed exactly the same as my G10 UKPKs. I need more paper for my wish list!

To be continued.... (I think I'll about two or three more days to finish all uploads)

Wouter
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

thanks for the beautiful pictures Wouter! :D

man.. the sage 3... as a lefty, i am so excited to hear that it performs with one finger closer :D may i ask if it had an open back? :D
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Mr Blonde wrote: To be continued.... (I think I'll about two or three more days to finish all uploads)

Wouter
My question is: where is the money for all these extraordinary knives going to come from? Every day, Wouter posts another picture/s that shoots holes in my budget!

Post by 224477 »

Thanks Wouter, Caly 3.5 , Big Chinese and Superleaf got my attention from the latest.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

This is going to be a great year for Spyderco. I can't believe that there are 2 or 3 more days to go for pictures, that is a lot of Prototypes! Out of all of the prototypes, the Super Leaf and Sage are the two that I will buy.

Interesting that the TI and CF UKPKS have no choil jimping, I hope it stays that way in final production.... the TI UKPK is another one topping my want list right now. There are so many good models though... TI UKPK, Caly 3.5, Breeden Rescue and Balance. The Sage and Leaf though... sexy sexy knives!

Thanks again for the great pictures, we are lucky to have you!
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

Holy cow, I don't even need to call the bank to get the answer they'd give me. "No, we don't offer 3rd lien home loans to buy knives!"
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Great report! Thanks again for including us!

I'm very excited about the new Sage, I actually hunted down an old Gerber Bolt Action last year because I like the lock so much.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I just need two Caly 3.5 and I will be happy camper. Any ideas when it will be out? I need it badly.
Lums and superleaf also look very interesting, especially CF Lum.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Exceptionally excellent. Congrats to Sal & Co., and thanks for posting this!

The Lum folders...gives me this feeling of, ahem, deja vu ;) all over again???
Mr Blonde wrote:From the Lums it’s a small step to the successor of the Super Hawk, the Super Leaf. Now this knife may look a bit clunky and boxy, but the grip and balance is just right. This was one sweet handling folder. Don’t change a thing, I’ll take it as is. It’s kind of like an improved original large Manix. The edges on the handle are nice and rounded. The construction looked pretty good; thick blade, compression lock, thick liners and thick G10 slabs. It looked like a tough folder, but it was a lightweight in the hand.

I kind of hope that a serrated version will be made. It is possible. The Super Leaf was made because of customer requests when they saw the Super Hawk, which in turn was made because of customer requests on the forums…

Wouter
araneae

Post by araneae »

Ah the Sage 3. I had not expected to see that pop up so soon, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I really think this is going to be a surprise hit for Spyderco. Lots of folks have never handled a bolt action knife so I think they're in for a treat. I am sure this will far surpass the old Gerber I sent in. I have a feeling we'll see this lock on other future Spydies.

Looks like gobs of UKPKs are coming our way. The big Caly looks cool. The Lum is kind of getting old for me. Although its about time a G-10 version appeared.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Quite frankly I'm overwhelmed by this. I'm really starting to think Spyderco's only real competition is themselves.

Not that I'm a Youtube fanatic but when the top reviewers get a hold of these knives and information the world's gonna go crazy. If they only came out with the Manix2 FRN I would have been thrilled let alone everything else. The UK fans are going to riot! :D

I mean no disrespect to other companies. I'm just in the process of making Spyderco.com my Homepage. :p