M4 Bow River?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

M4 Bow River?

Post by kennethsime »

I was browsing my favorite vendor’s restock list and I saw they got he OD Green + Black blade Bow River back in stock. I’d love to try a Phil Wilson design, but the 8cr has been holding me back. A few minutes before, I was browsing their upcoming drops, and added the M4 Tenacious to my wishlist.

Now, I know that Spyderco uses a few different makers in China, but: if we’re getting an M4 Tenacious, does that open up the possibility of an M4 Bow River?

I can’t help but thinking this model would really shine with a tough, wear-resistant steel like M4.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Igi964

Re: M4 Bow River?

Post by Igi964 »

I like Your thinking. Very good idea. Bow River is worh some better steel.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I agree. To me it's one of the most instantly appealing Spydies, and it gets a lot of love on the forum and probably from knife people in general. I doubt an M4 version would sell as well as the 8Cr, because most buyers wouldn't care about the steel or, if they did, would prefer any stainless over any non-stainless, and certainly wouldn't pay more for the version they preferred less. Still, a lot of people would want one.

I have a Bow River that I bought for fishing, but then I found a Waterway, so I've only used it for food prep. Unfortunately, the handle doesn't work well for me. In my hand it feels almost as wide as it is tall, and doesn't index as well as a more slab-sided or less contoured design would. For that reason, I wouldn't buy an M4 variant. But I bet a lot of others would.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'd love to try M4, and getting it in the Bow River format would make it doubly enticing. That being said, I use my 8CR Bow River regularly without complaint. I would like to get a kydex sheath for it at some point though.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:35 am
I doubt an M4 version would sell as well as the 8Cr, because most buyers wouldn't care about the steel or, if they did, would prefer any stainless over any non-stainless, and certainly wouldn't pay more for the version they preferred less. Still, a lot of people would want one.
I’d bet they could do an S35VN version, too. If either of these came in under $100 it’d be a steal.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think, theoretically, it would end up right around $100 or a little more, probably not less.
The current Bow Rivers can be found on sale sometimes, however, and that would do the trick…

Regardless, I think it would be super sweet.
I missed the previous Phil Wilson collaborations in S90V, but an CPM-M4 or S35VN Bow River would be almost as good.

My Bow River is an excellent knife for the money. I just sharpened mine yesterday, actually. It already performs pretty well, so let’s supercharge it!

I think I would prefer M4.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:14 am
I was browsing my favorite vendor’s restock list and I saw they got he OD Green + Black blade Bow River back in stock. I’d love to try a Phil Wilson design, but the 8cr has been holding me back. A few minutes before, I was browsing their upcoming drops, and added the M4 Tenacious to my wishlist.

Now, I know that Spyderco uses a few different makers in China, but: if we’re getting an M4 Tenacious, does that open up the possibility of an M4 Bow River?

I can’t help but thinking this model would really shine with a tough, wear-resistant steel like M4.
I second this suggestion but polished
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Or LC200N or magnacut. Great Lake knife
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:15 pm
I would love an upgraded steel for the Bow River but would prefer a good stainless steel. Magnacut would be terrific, S30V, S90V, or any of the M390 class of steel would also be great.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I haven’t had issues with my Bow River. It’s a thin slicer, it’s not intended to be a hard use tool. If you don’t have one I recommend getting one and don’t let the steel hold you back. It’s a great knife.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:15 pm
I don't think the factory where the Bow River is made works with those steels. If ever they start, it'd probably be a long time from now.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I'd prefer a better stainless for a knife designed for use around water. But I probably wouldn't buy it anyway because the 8cr works just fine for me when I take it to the creek or river.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

A M4 Bow River would hit the spot SO hard. Even S35VN would be an instant buy.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

A key aspect of my question, as Toucan pointed out, is that we know that Spyderco is doing M4 in China. We also know that they do S35VN in China. I’d be into either.

I should probably just buy that black + green one.

Coastal

Post by Coastal »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:25 pm
A key aspect of my question, as Toucan pointed out, is that we know that Spyderco is doing M4 in China. We also know that they do S35VN in China. I’d be into either.

I should probably just buy that black + green one.
Oh, I just realized you don't have one at all. Then you must pick up that black + green. :cheap-sunglasses
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

thread could use a pic of this great knife design.
Attachments
bowriv.jpg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

To keep the cost down and give the knife more edge retention and very good corrosion resistance I wouldn't mind this knife in Sandvik 14C28N. This would also give the knife superior toughness.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
olywa

Post by olywa »

Wouldn't turn my nose up at BD1N either.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Yes. We need an upgraded steel choice for the Bow River.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:44 pm
To keep the cost down and give the knife more edge retention and very good corrosion resistance I wouldn't mind this knife in Sandvik 14C28N. This would also give the knife superior toughness.
I'm with the Doc on that one :winking-tongue

I LOVE every steel, but a 14C28N that is really well treated is even better than LC200N when it comes to toughness. For that kind of knife I find it to be an excellent match.
I've tried many 14C28N production blades, and heat treated it myself a good dozen of times now and it is really a cool steel IMHO.

In production I even bought a civivi just to test their HT and for now it's the best one I've had. Even resist very low pressure on ceramic plates while eating (and there isn't many steels able to do that)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds