SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mongo1958

Re: SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Post by mongo1958 »

WyoJon wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:58 pm
Two serrated enduras. One serrated delica. One serrated tasman. One serrated dragonfly. One serrated police. And i still cant get enough serrations.
Nice
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I keep seeing praises sung to the Spyderco Spyderedged knives and I feel like I'm finally breaking (lifelong plain edge lover). What model would You suggest getting knowing that:
- I'm a steel snob
- love larger knives
- already own the P4 LW K390
- love thin geometry (got the P4 above reground to 0,010" BTE, now it's a laser)
- like knives I can flick for fun, but as You can see with the P4, it's not mandatory
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

horzuff wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:49 am
I keep seeing praises sung to the Spyderco Spyderedged knives and I feel like I'm finally breaking (lifelong plain edge lover). What model would You suggest getting knowing that:
- I'm a steel snob
- love larger knives
- love thin geometry (got the P4 above reground to 0,010" BTE, now it's a laser)
- like knives I can flick for fun, but as You can see with the P4, it's not mandatory

Cheapest and most risk free way to get that in SE is to just buy a Z Cut. It won't satisfy the steel snob part but will at least give you an idea, and if you don't think you'd like it in a folder then you still have a kitchen beater.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

The Z Cut serrations are more like victorinox 6.7831 (I own or owned plenty of these) and the geometry is kitchen-knife-like, something I won't be able to experience in a folder. Ah, I forgot to mention it has to be a folder with a tip-up, right hand pocket clip
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Next would be a getting a Salt in H1/H2 or LC200N. It's worth having at least one fully rust proof knife and the steel is easy to reprofile.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

horzuff wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:49 am
- I'm a steel snob
- love larger knives

Delica wharnie SE K390... ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:13 am
I don't think they have released the wharnie K390 in SE. At least I have looked and couldn't find it anywhere. That was my top choice to start with.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
I don't think they have released the wharnie K390 in SE. At least I have looked and couldn't find it anywhere. That was my top choice to start with.

You´re right, thanks for correcting me! :smlling-eyes

Delica wharnie K390 just in PE... yet.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:50 am
JSumm wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:36 am
Wartstein wrote:

You´re right, thanks for correcting me! :smlling-eyes

Delica wharnie K390 just in PE... yet.
Listen, I sure hope they release the wharnie with K390 in SE. I think the Delica is a great model to have a wharnie option on. K390 is quite special. To add teeth to that model would be irresistable.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
olywa

Post by olywa »

I have, and can recommend, both the Delica and Endura K390 SE. I also have the Native Salt in Magnacut SE. It is quite aggressive. I think the Delica is the Goldilocks in the bunch, and the best slicer.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I only now noticed that the delica has a 1/3 thinner blade stock :O. I always thought the whole delica>endela>endura family has same spine thickness. But I also see, that the P4 LW is between the two, might consider that to have a comparison as I much prefer larger knives and the Delica is a tad too small for my tastes
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Byrd Harrier 2 serrated Wharnie. :winking-tongue Spyderco makes many good serrated blades, but this one will amaze you.
olywa

Post by olywa »

+1 on the Byrd Harrier 2 SE Wharnie! It's a beast on general yard work, and cardboard parts like the Red Sea whenever it comes near.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Looking at the serrated Stretch 2 XL or serrated Pacific Salt H1 for my first around the house/yard work knife. Any thoughts on which is a better bang for your buck?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:06 pm
Looking at the serrated Stretch 2 XL or serrated Pacific Salt H1 for my first around the house/yard work knife. Any thoughts on which is a better bang for your buck?

I have both of the mentioned knives (in SE).

To me the Stretch XL SE pattern is clearly better for an all around, "better PE" option!!

The Pac Salt SE though might beat it when it comes to yard work (like cutting branches).

I´d certainly go with the Stretch XL SE though, if your goal is to see why people like me came to prefer SE in pretty much any folder task over PE
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You won't go wrong with either.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've got the Stretch but I prefer more of a beater for yard work. I mainly use either a Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill or a Byrd Cara Cara orange Rescue. The Byrd SEs take a licking and just ask for more.
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Well, this thread certainly has me rethinking my attitude. I've never owned an SE but am weirdly somehow now thinking about it...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:28 am
Well, this thread certainly has me rethinking my attitude. I've never owned an SE but am weirdly somehow now thinking about it...

Just do it, you won´t regret!
Endela SE or Stretch XL SE (just two examples I can recommend) are really not that expensive (and worth every cent anyway!) and have really good serrations imo.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:45 am
Murphy Slaw wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:28 am

Just do it, you won´t regret!
I second this.