Atlanta Blade Show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

Re: Atlanta Blade Show

Post by Larrin »

cjk wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:13 am
Larrin wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:11 am
I only made it over to the Spyderco booth once during the weekend. I had a pleasant talk with Mike Janich though.
It was super cool to meet you in person. Thanks much for signing both of my books!

All the best,
Christian
Always fun meeting people
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:12 pm
pits 2, mini siren, new paras.....yeah, glad I didn't make the trip :rofl

Waiting on the Chief LW DLC and Military 2 DLC to hit retailers. Those are more my style.
Most of the seconds deals were gone when I got there Saturday. There were still a few Chief LW seconds for sale, Micheal showed me two of them. One had a broken tip and the other one had a bent tip. I passed on both.
Still, it reinforced the desire to want a Native Chief in the future. It truly is an awesome knife.
I'm currently holding out for the Military 2. The next knife Micheal demonstrated was the MicroJimco. It's nice and if it hits the market soon then...
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:44 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:30 am
Was the straight razor shown?
Yes it was!
Well, how was it? I am dying to see it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:28 pm
JSumm wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:44 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:30 am
Was the straight razor shown?
Yes it was!
Well, how was it? I am dying to see it.
I'm not much of an expert on those, but it appeared to have a hollow grind. Looked like a straight razor. :winking-tongue
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I got to handle the Bodacious, when they release it I believe I will finally be retiring my Military models for good. It was as confidence inspiring as the Shaman, but without the choil and was far thinner in both blade and handle thickness. It looks like it will carry very flat in the pocket. If they leave the G10 smooth that would be fine by me, it seemed like it would stay put in my hand without any texture.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Eric did confirm the Bodacious was a production prototype or production sample. Can't recall which. Basically it was production quality and the smooth G10 was the final product. It has extremely contoured edges, but not contouring on the entire face of the scales. Basically flat scales. Because of this, you do not have that pinch to close shoot out your hands that some complain about on the Shaman (also the Kapara).
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Larrin wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:11 am
I only made it over to the Spyderco booth once during the weekend. I had a pleasant talk with Mike Janich though.
Hey, Larrin:

Thank you very much for stopping by and taking the time to chat. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Stay safe,

Mike
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Also, not in the prototype case, but CJK pointed out to me while at the Spyderco Booth that there something definitely different about the Endela VG-10 serrations (deeper) that's different than most. Specifically, I compared the Leaf Jumper K390 serrations to the Endela in VG-10. Sure enough, the Endela was deeper, so presumingly more acute an angle? I know Gernot has been a champion of that model for some time.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:44 am
Eric did confirm the Bodacious was a production prototype or production sample. Can't recall which. Basically it was production quality and the smooth G10 was the final product. It has extremely contoured edges, but not contouring on the entire face of the scales. Basically flat scales. Because of this, you do not have that pinch to close shoot out your hands that some complain about on the Shaman (also the Kapara).

Michael was the guy that handed me the Bodacious, he didn't mention when it would make its debut. Honestly, I was so mesmerized by it, I lost my train of thought. I should have taken notes. Did Eric mention a roll out date?
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
cjk

Post by cjk »

mongo1958 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:07 am
JSumm wrote:

Michael was the guy that handed me the Bodacious, he didn't mention when it would make its debut. Honestly, I was so mesmerized by it, I lost my train of thought. I should have taken notes. Did Eric mention a roll out date?
It's best not to ask when. :smlling-eyes
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cjk wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:34 am
mongo1958 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:07 am
JSumm wrote:

It's best not to ask when. :smlling-eyes
Or take notes. May be a bit too far.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:54 am
vivi wrote:

Waiting on the Chief LW DLC and Military 2 DLC to hit retailers. Those are more my style.
Well they did have the Chief LW in the cabinet. It has been there for a few years. And a large neutral grip lockback named after a large tree.

Cool!

There was a lot of talk about the Sequoia, but not lately...

A scaled up Leaf Jumper could pose a real challenge to my still favorite platform, the Endura 4... :smirk

Hope that 4" (?) blade fills the handle more than the Leaf Jumper blade does (fill the LJ handle)
In case of the Sequoia though not primarily cause I want the longest possible cutting edge, but actually vice versa: I´d hope for an as compact as possible HANDLE for that long blade (it, the handle, has to be still very roomy in any case).
Just for a convenient carry.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:01 pm
JSumm wrote:
vivi wrote:

Well they did have the Chief LW in the cabinet. It has been there for a few years. And a large neutral grip lockback named after a large tree.

Cool!

A scaled up Leaf Jumper could pose a real challenge to my still favorite platform, the Endura 4... :smirk

Hope that 4" (?) blade fills the handle more than the Leaf Jumper blade does (fill the LJ handle)
In case of the Sequoia though not primarily cause I want the longest possible cutting edge, but actually vice versa: I´d hope for an as compact as possible HANDLE for that long blade (it, the handle, has to be still very roomy in any case).
Is the Sequoia the one labeled "Cliff Jumper" in the prototype display? If so, I remember thinking the handle was pretty long. Comfy, but long.
- Richard
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:08 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:01 pm
JSumm wrote:
vivi wrote:

Cool!

Is the Sequoia the one labeled "Cliff Jumper" in the prototype display? If so, I remember thinking the handle was pretty long. Comfy, but long.

Yes, this model has been discussed alternating as "Cliff Jumper" and "Sequoia" (basically a Leaf Jumper XL) indeed.

And the handle has to be pretty long, right, in order to house the long (4"??) blade ? - What I meant is that I hope that it is not even longer than it has to be - so not much gap between tip of the blade and handle end when the knife is closed.

I don´t mind wide knives in pocket at all, but am not too keen on very long ones - in pocket, not in use! (the Manix is a perfect and actually small carry for me for example)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

riclaw wrote:
🤔 Could there have possibly been two different versions? I could have sworn it said Sequoia, but now, I'm questioning myself.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:28 pm
riclaw wrote:
🤔 Could there have possibly been two different versions? I could have sworn it said Sequoia, but now, I'm questioning myself.
I know I held one labeled "Cliff Jumper" with a long (~4") satin wharncliffe blade and black G10 handles. The handle shape was modeled on the Rock/Leaf Jumper but longer. This was Saturday afternoon.

Sadly, I didn't recognize the Bodacious as being the "choil-less Shaman" and didn't ask to hold it.

I also saw a true button lock with a funky blade shape that nobody's mentioned yet. :thinking
- Richard
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:31 pm
JSumm wrote:
riclaw wrote:
I know I held one labeled "Cliff Jumper" with a long (~4") satin wharncliffe blade and black G10 handles. The handle shape was modeled on the Rock/Leaf Jumper but longer. This was Saturday afternoon.

Sadly, I didn't recognize the Bodacious as being the "choil-less Shaman" and didn't ask to hold it.

I also saw a true button lock with a funky blade shape that nobody's mentioned yet. :thinking
Ohhhh.....

Cliff Jumper is to Rock Jumper
as
Sequoia is to Leaf Jumper

Now I remember.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:31 pm
JSumm wrote:
riclaw wrote:

It looked like if a cartoonist had drawn a Yojimbo 2 into a Batman cartoon. It had linerless carbon fiber scales and was very light. It was very cool.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I definitely want a CliffJumper and maybe a Sequoia too.

Sounds like a lot of interesting knives were at the show. It’s got my creative ideas flowing!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

It's incredible getting a "glimpse" (for those of us non-attendees) of the upcoming Spyderco "pipeline". Puts it into a different perspective (from the layman), just how much goes on behind the scenes. For some reason I thought much of this was off-limits for discussion, but alas, it was only the photography. Thanks for sharing, all.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.