I had enough of Seki ''hiccups''

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

I had enough of Seki ''hiccups''

Post by elena86 »

When you pay 200¸+ euros(dispatch included) for a knife you don't expect to see these ''grooves'' on the edge. The new released C07S Police was one of my most anticipated spydies in years and when I saw this I was so pissed. I said it before, Spyderco should do something about the QC in that Seki plant. I understand the concept of loyality as much as the next guy but I guess the customers should come first. After all you would expect a higher level of quality when it comes to machining and attention to details when you purchase a ''made in Japan'' item.

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Re: I had enough of Seki ''hiccups''

Post by JRinFL »

Looks like your serrations are serrated! While that would not bother me, I can see how it could bother others. Especially if you have to pay so much more to get one.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I wonder how those perform? Even more snaggy than the typical serrations, or do they just shred through even more efficiently?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Those look intentional. The serrations are micro serrated. I would imagine it would contribute to longer life for the factory edge.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cut something and see how it goes.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

That would take all of 90 seconds to smooth out on a sharpmaker.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:48 am
That would take all of 90 seconds to smooth out on a sharpmaker.
all the more reason to be upset about it, i suppose.

i'm not sure this edge would bother me on a serrated knife personally, but i know what it's like to bring up a concern (especially about one of the seki factories) and have everyone justify it or treat the bug like it's a feature. i haven't had any problems with the standard seki line, but i have had, and have seen, problems with many of the non-standard seki knives, like the ayoob, the cruwear stretch xl, and let's not forget about that cf dragonfly that came out a little while back. kind of crazy that these issues are just ignored.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

eh, I look at it like a loose clip screw. should the knife come like that from the factory? no. does it take longer to complain about it here than fix it? definitely.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Bluntly, you have no legitimate reason to complain. Pictures were posted, as early as October 2021, showing the edge on the SE K390 Police 4 lightweight to look exactly like that and, up until now, no one has suggested it is a manufacturing flaw.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90767&hilit=K390+Po ... Serrations
elena86

Post by elena86 »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:20 am
Bluntly, you have no legitimate reason to complain. Pictures were posted, as early as October 2021, showing the edge on the SE K390 Police 4 lightweight to look exactly like that and, up until now, no one has suggested it is a manufacturing flaw.
Really ?! I read that thread so what ? Did you ? Those comparative pics speak on my behalf . I am a 62 old mechanical engineer and I could teach you a thing or two about grinding and machining. This has to do with the cutting wheel they use and the way they do it. It's all about consistency. Oh and yes I have ''the legitimate reason'' to complain because I spent 230 to purchase this knife and all the other (older) 4 C07S that I own have clean grinds with no ''grooves'' so it can be done.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I'm sure you know more about machining and grinding than I do. My point is you knew, or should have known, what the serrations were going to look like before you purchased the knife.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:45 am
Cut something and see how it goes.
I own four more older C07S and none have this ''issue''. I did some comparative cuts and it you can feel a difference. It doesn't snag but it's not as smooth as the others.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:08 am
eh, I look at it like a loose clip screw. should the knife come like that from the factory? no. does it take longer to complain about it here than fix it? definitely.
the more expensive a knife, the more irritating things like this are. the more rare a knife, it's exponentially worse. you can't just return a sprint or exclusive for a replacement (and when spyderco themselves suggest this, it's just insult to injury). those, specifically, should be given the strongest qc inspection of all because of that. but i digress...

the number of issues happening in seki should be addressed. if people just shrug off the problem, as you are suggesting, spyderco might not know the extent of the problems. they need to know so they can deal with it. of course, from what i've seen, it looks like they are more interested in making excuses for seki than holding them accountable, and that's made worse by forum members dismissing problems as no big deal. even if it's an easy fix for you, it might not be for everyone, and no one should ever have to do anything with a $200 knife before they can stick it in their pocket and go.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

We all like to be the white knight in shining armor coming to the rescue, but let us at least try to be polite about it. That said, Spyderco doesn't need anyone to be a white knight for them as they are fully capable of defending and/or explaining product issues.

Those grinds* make the knife look unfinished, IMO. Sure it probably performs as intended, maybe slightly better, but it looks bad. Humans are visual creatures, so looks matter to varying degrees depending on the person.

The Japanese makers need to up their game, IMO.

* Yes, I understand that K390 is more difficult to finish versus many other steels in use.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:12 am
dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:20 am
Really ?! I read that thread so what ? Did you ? Those comparative pics speak on my behalf . I am a 62 old mechanical engineer and I could teach you a thing or two about grinding and machining. This has to do with the cutting wheel they use and the way they do it. It's all about consistency. Oh and yes I have ''the legitimate reason'' to complain because I spent 230 to purchase this knife and all the other (older) 4 C07S that I own have clean grinds with no ''grooves'' so it can be done.
i think what he's getting at is that the machining they use on k390 is different from what they use with vg10, which makes sense. that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be more rough, but that's the way these edges were produced and we've known about it for a long time now. that doesn't mean that you don't have a leg to stand on in your complaint... it just means that consistency might not be the best argument between two steels that perform vastly different because of vastly different properties.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:25 am
I'm sure you know more about machining and grinding than I do. My point is you knew, or should have known, what the serrations were going to look like before you purchased the knife.

What are you talking about ??? Two weeks ago I bought a SE Stretch XL and the edge is silky smooth. We are talking consistency here ! Those ''grooves'' shouldn't be there ! It's not a feature, it's a grinding flaw.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:12 am
I am a 62 old mechanical engineer and I could teach you a thing or two about grinding and machining.

It seems that you're pretty upset about this.
What would you tell the machine operator so that he could make knives that met your exacting standards?
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:34 am
Those ''grooves'' shouldn't be there ! It's not a feature, it's a grinding flaw.
And you know this was not a deliberate decision, made by Spyderco and the manufacturer in Seki, how? Did you check with Sal and the Spyderco crew?
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:29 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:08 am
the more expensive a knife, the more irritating things like this are. the more rare a knife, it's exponentially worse. you can't just return a sprint or exclusive for a replacement (and when spyderco themselves suggest this, it's just insult to injury). those, specifically, should be given the strongest qc inspection of all because of that. but i digress...

the number of issues happening in seki should be addressed. if people just shrug off the problem, as you are suggesting, spyderco might not know the extent of the problems. they need to know so they can deal with it. of course, from what i've seen, it looks like they are more interested in making excuses for seki than holding them accountable, and that's made worse by forum members dismissing problems as no big deal. even if it's an easy fix for you, it might not be for everyone, and no one should ever have to do anything with a $200 knife before they can stick it in their pocket and go.
Every sprint run Chief I bought, I purchased two.

I'd inspect them both and sell off the one that had the lock release sticking out from the handle the most.

I kept the better ones, but they're not 100% perfect.

It's the nature of mass produced knives.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The latest Ladybug Hawkbill I received (online only because my local shop has none) was hands down the worst of the previous 3 I have owned. The tip is a bit wonky and the serrations aren’t near as “new” feeling as others. That said, it’s my ocean/pool knife so I am letting it go. Probably hit the sharpmaker eventually but seems like a good thread to add slight dissatisfaction on a Seki knife.