USA Made Keychain Micro Spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you interested in a USA Made keychain sized Spyderco?

Yes
57%
No
34%
Not Sure
9%

Total votes: 56

Buddafucco

USA Made Keychain Micro Spydies

Post by Buddafucco »

If you go to the USA Made section on Spyderco.com and tick the box for the 1"-2" Blade Length filter... I'm going to spoil it for you... There are no results.
This made me wonder what the smallest knife to come out of the Golden factory is... the Lil' Native? Or am I forgetting about something?
It also made me wonder if there is even any interest in a USA made keychain sized matter separator? I didn't realize that I wanted one until today.
Perhaps it would be too pricey? Or maybe the other factories have this size range covered well enough?
I know there is no more room on that magical assembly line treadmill that spits out Spydies. Just throwing out a topic for conversation.
•• Beau
Mushroom

Re: USA Made Keychain Micro Spydies

Post by Mushroom »

Yes, absolutely.

I love micro knives. Something about the miniaturized form factor that really appeals to me. Could just be the novelty of them that I like but none the less, it’s a size category that has always greatly piqued my interest.
-Nick :bug-red
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

If I wanted a knife like that, I'd get a ladybug or a manbug and be done with it. Every Seki knife I've ever had has been great. Spyderco is a 'murican company, so the profits go to 'muricans.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

A micro compression lock. Like a mini para3.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Ric

Post by Ric »

+1
Lil native lightweight compression lock might be it.

The lil native is unfortunately too overbuilt and heavy.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Depends on the size, weight, steel and price.

My ManBug Salt H-1 Sheepfoot SpyderEdge resides on my keychain and it’s very handy & useful.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

No,,, aint that what a Lady Bug Is?
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Is the Cricket smaller?
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I mean Grasshopper? The bug names get me confused
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:11 pm
No,,, aint that what a Lady Bug Is?
The Ladybug is made in Japan. There are already a handful of Spyderco models that work as keychain knives but none that are made in the US. :usflag
-Nick :bug-red
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I personally like nothing on my key ring except my car and house keys. A ladybug or a small flashlight would be to much added clutter. And new cars with the big FoB sucks.

I do have one of these http://www.swisstechtools.com/proddetail.aspx?pid=5 might be useless but its like its not there
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I like keychain sized knives although I never actually carry them on my keychain. I like to put them in my various backpacks as little handy tools to use when you’re out and about and something just needs cutting, but whipping a regular knife out would scare the locals. There’s something distinctly unthreatening about a little H1 ladybug SE (although ironically I’m sure it could still deliver some ferocious damage if you were so inclined).
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
vivi

Post by vivi »

Unless its a pocket multitool like a Leatherman Micra, I have no interest in folders smaller than an Endura. Voted no.

Where I live whipping out a Resilience to trim a thread is a complete non-issue. :usflag
:unicorn
jdw

Post by jdw »

I just don’t see the need for it. I don’t buy PRC Spydies but between Ladybugs, Manbugs, and the McBee the field is pretty covered for me.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I went with not sure. I really, really, like the Ladybug. That little thing packs so much into so little. If it came on shore? Yeah, okay, but I don’t have a problem with it being made off shore. In fact, I really like what Spyderco does with their off shore partners. That’s a decision for Spyderco to make, where to make their knives, that is. They make ‘em. I buy ‘em. That’s the deal.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I like to encourage US manufacturing, but I have no interest in anything smaller than a dragonfly or lil native regardless of where it's made. I'm always carrying a knife and I don't see how a tiny knife with a ball of keys attached is going to make my life easier (your mileage may vary).

If I'm hanging out with people who get nervous around a pocket knife, I need to reexamine my social circles, not my knife collection.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

With the ladybug and manbug, especially in H1, I have no need for other models. If anything, I’d like for them to do what they have been doing, which is giving us options on blade shapes. I carry a se hawkbill LB and the sheepsfoot se manbug. They fill their roll great and I don’t have a need for anything else.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I voted 'yes', but only as long as they are a new and unique design. I would have little interest in models that are very similar to the existing models.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Hard to beat the Ladybug, but I'm all for a Golden made micro knife. I think a Military1 Micro would be a fun send off? I've had some tiny liner locks.

Danke

Post by Danke »

Really like this combo. Not being in the USA seems to mean it's a lot easier to look past the country of origin.