Atlanta Blade Show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Atlanta Blade Show

Post by ladybug93 »

jeff, you're a champ, bro. thanks for all the shared intel.

i'm going to have to try and go next year. all of this excitement is just too... exciting.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

pits 2, mini siren, new paras.....yeah, glad I didn't make the trip :rofl

Waiting on the Chief LW DLC and Military 2 DLC to hit retailers. Those are more my style.
:unicorn
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:19 pm
jeff, you're a champ, bro. thanks for all the shared intel.

Seconded! "Our man in Atlanta reporting." Thanks Jeff!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

riclaw wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:54 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:09 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:14 am
MINI SIREN ?!? :O
Picture the Siren salt scaled down to a three finger grip and you've nailed it. Not sure how rough the G10 was but it had the beautiful blue liners.

Thanks!

Sounds really cool, but to be honest also not like the size I usually prefer (which is pretty much exactly the larger, "original" Siren size).

I am just amazed that they disco´ed the Siren, but still will release a mini version of it... ?
And wonder, why this could be the case: Less competition in the Salt series in that smaller size range? Don´t think so - Native Salt, Salt 2...?

Anyway: I do hope the Mini Siren is a genuine Lance Clinton design and he´ll get some credit for it
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It is definitely worth the trip if you can make it. Such an enthusiastic bunch down there.

Each year gets busier and busier, so you can see from that small sample how the knife industry appears to be exploding. Bunch of young people too.

Friday is the day to get there if you want to pick up something popular. Popular models sell out fast. It is a mad house, so you just have to use patience. Saturday gets better, and Sunday some vendors have all but sold out. With the much smaller crowd on Sunday you can find more time to talk to the designers and owners of some of these cool companies.

Sunday was the day I got to meet Eric by the prototype cabinet. Some makers may show you a prototype or two, but what we have access to in the prototype cabinet is really incredible view behind the curtain that no one else is doing. I did ask Eric what is appropriate to share on this forum. The example he brought up that was a bit too far, is somone once had pen and paper and was taking inventory and notes on everything there. Obviously, no video or photos and there are signs posted all over for that. They do want people's opninions because it provides some good market feedback. Any info I can share from memory within reason, I am happy to. I am sure it adds to the excitement and anticipation of the future which can only help Spyderco's outlook.
Last edited by JSumm on Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Jeff, the posts you made here were very informative and your knowledge of knives is impressive to say the least…one of my biggest takeaways is next year I’m going to focus on what’s in my hand and not be like a kid in a candy store wanting to hold everything I see…also I’m going on Friday and Sunday…it was my second year going and last year it seemed overwhelming as we just wandered around aimlessly 🤣…the crowds were insane and a lot of stuff was already sold out…if you can swing it your best bet is Friday for actually getting what you want and Sunday to enjoy talking with the makers…I realize this isn’t possible for everyone because of logistics and work but worth a thought anyway…I happen to be one of the lucky ones as I live 20 minutes away so it’s much easier to swing, but y’all can always take off a Monday 🤔…well done my friend 👏
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:06 am

Anyway: I do hope the Mini Siren is a genuine Lance Clinton design and he´ll get some credit for it
The mini Siren is indeed Lance's design, that he submitted to Spyderco after the release of the original.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

While learning about all these mini’s that might materialize down the line is music to my ears, it could possibly trigger an avalanche of sell and replace that’s unlikely to be very profitable :woozy

Wartstein is quite correct that Spyderco does indeed offer smaller knives already, but it’s equally true that I’ve stepped outside my size preference quite a few times to get my hands on other interesting designs. The Siren being just one of them.
Bring ‘em on!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm really excited about several of these, but I fully realize it will be a while before they are available. Thanks for the scoop.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:12 pm

Waiting on the Chief LW DLC and Military 2 DLC to hit retailers. Those are more my style.
Well they did have the Chief LW in the cabinet. It has been there for a few years. And a large neutral grip lockback named after a large tree.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:54 am
vivi wrote:

Well they did have the Chief LW in the cabinet. It has been there for a few years. And a large neutral grip lockback named after a large tree.
What ? Lockback named after a tree ? You have my attention ! Thanks for information Jeff , mini Siren is a disappointment for me wanting a XL version , but it will be a great smaller folder . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I only made it over to the Spyderco booth once during the weekend. I had a pleasant talk with Mike Janich though.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
cjk

Post by cjk »

Larrin wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:11 am
I only made it over to the Spyderco booth once during the weekend. I had a pleasant talk with Mike Janich though.
It was super cool to meet you in person. Thanks much for signing both of my books!

All the best,
Christian
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:18 am
JSumm wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:54 am
vivi wrote:

What ? Lockback named after a tree ? You have my attention ! Thanks for information Jeff , mini Siren is a disappointment for me wanting a XL version , but it will be a great smaller folder . MG2
I'm guessing this would be the "Sequoia" (~4" Jumper variant).
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sequoia definitely has my attention, but with how little we've heard about it I figured it was still 2-3 years off. i like the looks of the rockjumper handle and how the edge comes further back than the delica, just been waiting for the vivisized version!
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:39 am
sequoia definitely has my attention, but with how little we've heard about it I figured it was still 2-3 years off. i like the looks of the rockjumper handle and how the edge comes further back than the delica, just been waiting for the vivisized version!
Sounds like my cup of tea ! Look forward to see a picture sometime . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Was the straight razor shown?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:30 am
Yes it was!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:44 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:30 am
Yes it was!
Really? You'd think that I didn't spend 2 hours at the prototype booth. :woozy
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

:rofl Bottom middle!

You never know who is going to show up at that booth that starts up an interesting conversation. The knives are the 2nd coolest thing at the booth. Easy to be distracted. I probably distracted you.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005