How salty is Manix LW s110v IYO?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stas

How salty is Manix LW s110v IYO?

Post by Stas »

While many of us are patiently waiting for Manix 2 in Magnacut to come, I’m in need for a LW hot or rainy summer days carry right now and thinking of Manix LW in s110v. I know blade steel is very much corrosion resistant, so more concern is a pivot, hardware, lock spring etc.

How close this model comes to salt knife in your experience? Is it rinse-and-forget kind of knife for you, or not so exactly so? If not, I’ll stick to my Siren and Pacific Salt 2 ;)
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
JSumm

Re: How salty is Manix LW s110v IYO?

Post by JSumm »

BD1N on the standard LW is a very stainless steal as well. Right up there with S110V. I have the SPY27 version that is one of my go to's for camping and outdoor work. Hot summers in Georgia. Honestly, I think you will be fine with any of them as long as you are not going in salt water. If it gets soaking wet, I would wipe down and let it air dry.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

:grin-big eyes I was trying to remember who posted that and could not. That was the first picture that came to my mind. Forgot that was you Abba. Definitely a great experiment of worst case scenario. Cleaned up great too!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thank you for the replies! I remember I also saw those pics from abbazaba, but forgot where exactly:)

I would personally hate to clean the rust from a pinned construction knife with all those hard to get areas :D Now despite a great corrosion resistance of the current Manix 2, I want a Salt version even more!
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
attila

Post by attila »

I have taken my S110V Manix LW swimming in the Atlantic on multiple occasions with only a hint of rust from between the scales and lock housing back spacer and a tiny bit in the plunge grind of the blade after it wasn’t rinsed thoroughly once.

The ball and spring have no discernible corrosion.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I just read about an existing Salt version at the blade show, so it is coming.
Stas

Post by Stas »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:03 pm
I just read about an existing Salt version at the blade show, so it is coming.
Now this is nice! Yellow Magnacut or green lc200n?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It's in the Atlanta Blade Show thread. It just says Manix LW Salt with yellow scales, but doesn't specify the steel. I assume Magnacut because of the yellow, but I'm not positive on that.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thanks!!!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

👍
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Magnacut
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Stas

Post by Stas »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:07 pm
Magnacut
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in happiness. I fear something amazing has happened.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Not yet, but hang in there.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have a S110V UKPK that it use sometimes in the garden here in sunny, hot, humid, sweaty Florida. No complaints from either me or the knife. It only gets a cold water rinse after use. Most of the time, anyway.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

S110V is about as good as it gets in terms of corrosion resistance short of Vanax, LC200N, H1/H2 and MagnaCut. If you want a stainless steel with excellent edge retention it’s a great choice.

Chart from Knife Steels Rated by a Metallurgist – Toughness, Edge Retention, and Corrosion Resistance

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I have the Manix 2 lw BD1N blacked out version and it rides in my wb on occasion and we sweat our rear ends off on a daily basis, all I do is rinse the dried up salt off and go on about my day…I held the Manix 2 lw Salt in magnacut at the Blade Show and it’s sweet, just around the corner before we can all have one…I’ve never owned S110v but I’m sure you’d be ok with it
Stas

Post by Stas »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:59 pm
S110V is about as good as it gets in terms of corrosion resistance short of Vanax, LC200N, H1/H2 and MagnaCut. If you want a stainless steel with excellent edge retention it’s a great choice.

Chart from Knife Steels Rated by a Metallurgist – Toughness, Edge Retention, and Corrosion Resistance

Thank you! I study Larryn’s charts religiously and confident about the blade steel itself. My OP was more about corrosion resistance of a pivot, hardware, lock spring etc of the particular knife. Great to hear about your good experience with s110v!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Stas wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:22 am
My OP was more about corrosion resistance of a pivot, hardware, lock spring etc of the particular knife.

I don’t know how well those components will stand up against saltwater. I’d be specially concerned about the lock spring. That’s why most people recommend you thoroughly rinse it with tap water and dry it completely (hair dryer works great) after each use.

Very few folders go the extra mile to make all components saltwater resistant. The only such one I know of and have is the Quiet Carry Drift with Vanax Stainless Steel. If you look up the specs you’ll see what they used for the various components to make it “thrive in extreme saltwater environments”. You’re only as strong as your weakest link!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln