Atlanta Blade Show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cjk

Re: Atlanta Blade Show

Post by cjk »

cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:22 am

" :beaming-face " - referring to which part of my post? :thinking :smirk
There is a serrated Chaparral FRN in the prototype cabinet. I thought that was what Jsumm was saying would interest you. That's why I kept posting teeth. :grimace :beaming-face
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:02 am
cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:22 am

" :beaming-face " - referring to which part of my post? :thinking :smirk
There is a serrated Chaparral FRN in the prototype cabinet. I thought that was what Jsumm was saying would interest you. That's why I kept posting teeth. :grimace :beaming-face
:rofl That is hilarious. I think I mentioned that in another thread that there was something that would interest Gernot and that is exactly what it was.

Sage 5 Maxamet just snuck in there.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:14 am
I remember seeing two models. Both satin blades but one dressed in G10 and the other in carbon fiber. The carbon fiber scales had more contouring. They were lying on their show side, but they could've been a slipit or compression lock. I remember the blades being more sheepsfoot'ey than pointy. Both had a 50/50 finger choil.

My nephew said the one we handled had a compression lock but he was infatuated with the mini Siren🤷‍♂️
MINI SIREN ?!? :O
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Any new info on the Shawn Houston (BBB[DeadBoxHero]) 15v collaboration knife??
•• Beau
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:09 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:14 am
I remember seeing two models. Both satin blades but one dressed in G10 and the other in carbon fiber. The carbon fiber scales had more contouring. They were lying on their show side, but they could've been a slipit or compression lock. I remember the blades being more sheepsfoot'ey than pointy. Both had a 50/50 finger choil.

My nephew said the one we handled had a compression lock but he was infatuated with the mini Siren🤷‍♂️
MINI SIREN ?!? :O
Picture the Siren salt scaled down to a three finger grip and you've nailed it. Not sure how rough the G10 was but it had the beautiful blue liners.
- Richard
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:27 pm
Takes a lot of design influence I think from his trapper fixed blades if you have seen those. Micarta scales. Liner lock with the thumb hole hiding in the scales similar to how the Spydiechef hides away when closed. Very efficient footprint.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

The Spyderco booth was super busy all weekend as usual. Talking with Michael Janich at the prototype booth was a huge highlight for me. The Microjimbo is an amazing folder. The handle is not micro, fits very well into the hand. The blade is just scaled down, but perfect for those preferring the smaller knives. Mr Janich showed me his personal Yojimbo carry and explained the history and design behind the blade. The knife that really grabbed me in the prototype counter was the Night Flight by Patrick Van Bilji (not sure I got the spelling correct). A scale-less fixed blade. Excellent size and thickness of the handle has me hoping it’ll make the lineup one day. McNees had a Dixion folder that was solid. The spider graphic & reverse S curve Para 2’s were great. A red handled Canadian pen knife looked great. Several salt folders I can’t remember specifics. There was a Waterway in the proto counter that looked identical to the model sold in the past, not sure if it has a new design or steel. Spyderco’s booth is always a priority visit, but one of many outstanding through out the show.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:11 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Takes a lot of design influence I think from his trapper fixed blades if you have seen those. Micarta scales. Liner lock with the thumb hole hiding in the scales similar to how the Spydiechef hides away when closed. Very efficient footprint.
Thanks Jeff. You and the other Blade Show reporters have been Amazing after this show! :beaming-face
•• Beau
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Hearing that a mini Siren and a BBB folder were spotted is very exciting news to me! Both are knives I look forward to carrying!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Lots of other cool things with previous designers as well, but my mental image of the cabinet if fading fast.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

From what I'm hearing/reading, it seems I have to set a side money for that entire proto case. Tough times ahead.

There was a photo floating around here of an Alistair Phillips slip joint, that looked amazing. Very Kapara-esque indeed, but with subtle differences that really won me over. If that makes it to production without much alteration, I'm so sold.
Probably the one observation that makes me the most hopeful.
And that's saying something, as there were quite a few surprises that sounds very promising.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

This is one of those times when I’m both glad and tortured that I have a vivid imagination.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:11 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Any estimate for blade length?
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Maybe 3 - 3.5". Seems much smaller. It is an very efficient clever little design.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Halfneck wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:45 pm
Para 2 LW - pretty cool
Para 3 LW Salt - Good addition
I can’t wait for these two. I hope a PM2LW Salt isn’t far behind.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Was BBB’s folder in the case last year? If so, could anybody say if they noticed any changes between the two?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

A.S. wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:35 pm
The Spyderco booth was super busy all weekend as usual. Talking with Michael Janich at the prototype booth was a huge highlight for me. The Microjimbo is an amazing folder. The handle is not micro, fits very well into the hand. The blade is just scaled down, but perfect for those preferring the smaller knives. Mr Janich showed me his personal Yojimbo carry and explained the history and design behind the blade. The knife that really grabbed me in the prototype counter was the Night Flight by Patrick Van Bilji (not sure I got the spelling correct). A scale-less fixed blade. Excellent size and thickness of the handle has me hoping it’ll make the lineup one day. McNees had a Dixion folder that was solid. The spider graphic & reverse S curve Para 2’s were great. A red handled Canadian pen knife looked great. Several salt folders I can’t remember specifics. There was a Waterway in the proto counter that looked identical to the model sold in the past, not sure if it has a new design or steel. Spyderco’s booth is always a priority visit, but one of many outstanding through out the show.
Reverse S PM2 you say??
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:22 pm
Was BBB’s folder in the case last year? If so, could anybody say if they noticed any changes between the two?
It was in the case last year. I don't fully recall last year. I had the opportunity to listen to Sals stories which was way cooler than the prototypes. This year had the opportunity to meet Eric. It did not jump out to me that it really changed. Still seems like it may be in prototype stage and not production sample. My guess would be they are waiting for the expansion to move forward for capacity reasons, but that is just a guess.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

wait, did someone say there was a Maxamet Sage 5 lightweight in the prototype cabinet? I totally missed that one.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:54 pm
wait, did someone say there was a Maxamet Sage 5 lightweight in the prototype cabinet? I totally missed that one.
🤣 Bottom right towards the end. At first I thought it was a Chaparral XL, but upon further inspection it twas not.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005