Atlanta Blade Show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Atlanta Blade Show

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:15 pm
Just like you would imagine. LW Manix with yellow (think Native 5 Salt) scales.

I didn't see that one coming.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:37 pm
Bolster wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:29 am
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:42 am
…we went straight to the prototype section in the corner and the Manix 2 lw salt was the first knife I held and it was SWEET, then the Para 3 lw salt caught my eye as well as the mini Kapara and Chad Kelly Piute…the Bodacious was off the charts good too…wasn’t allowed to take photos but still an Awesome time 👏👏👏

Wait...the Piute has made it to the Spyderco prototype stage??!?
Yup - I put it in my outstretched hand to take a quick pic and that’s when I was informed there were no photos allowed…he was super nice about it tho 🤷‍♂️
Wow, cool! I didn't even consider that it might be there. I bet you would have taken a great looking photo too. It's almost surreal for me to hear about my knife being in that case. That's been my edc for over a year. If I had realized it might go to the show I would have at least cleaned the scratches off the blade. :hushed-face

It sounds like you had a good time at the show. Thank you for your reports.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

mongo1958 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:14 pm
It would be hard to beat the Manix 2 with a CL, it is a fine knife. The Caribbean is also a good choice but it has the comp lock. Any of the salt series, the Salt 2 or the Pacific salt 2 have the back lock that you desire and are very popular.
The Caribbean and the salt series have a high resistance to corrosion making them a good outdoor choice.
The Tenacious SE (liner lock) and the Native 5 SE (back lock) are my go to yard knifes.
What ever you get, I hope it serves you well.
Have a blessed day.
I believe we're on a tangent here, so I'll make it quick ;)
I appreciate all the kind advice, but I'm not trying to satisfy a real need. I'm looking to satisfy a disease :)
Of the knives you mention, the Caribbean is the only one I don't have. Not for not liking it, but I believe it's a bigger package than I'm likely to reach for in most situations.
In conclusion, I'm very well covered as is. To an embarrassing degree. Just looking for opportunities to do incremental improvements as I learn more about my own preferences (i.e. the disease part).
Enjoy your day, my friend!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I wasn’t able to get there until Sunday mid-day so I only had a couple hours…we went straight to the prototype section in the corner and the Manix 2 lw salt was the first knife I held and it was SWEET, then the Para 3 lw salt caught my eye as well as the mini Kapara and Chad Kelly Piute…the Bodacious was off the charts good too…wasn’t allowed to take photos but still an Awesome time 👏👏👏
Mini Kapara !!! Do tell…
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I hope the manix 2 lw salt will have translucent yellow frcp like their blue they used to have!.....
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Solid yellow like the Native 5 Salt.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Halfneck wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:45 pm
Is that a larger Chaparral LW? Nope, it's a Sage LW - Let me see that.

The Sage LW has my interest. It's like a slightly bigger Chaparral LW with a compression-lock. Same pattern on the FRN too. I believe the steel on the prototype was Maxamet? About the same size as a Para 3 LW, but felt slightly better in hand to me.

I am not sure I understand: Prototype? There IS a Sage 5 LW (comp.lock) already in production (just in S30V, not Maxamet) - ?
And a Sage 1 in Maxamet of course.

Regarding "larger Chaparral LW" :Depends on what one feels is subjectively defining about a Chap:
Just for me it is the thin blade (Sage blade is 50 % thicker), thin overall profile and the unique (for Spyderco) backlock.
So the Sage 5 just can´t be a "larger Chap" for me (but sure can for you or others!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:56 am
Halfneck wrote:

The Sage LW has my interest. It's like a slightly bigger Chaparral LW with a compression-lock. Same pattern on the FRN too. I believe the steel on the prototype was Maxamet? About the same size as a Para 3 LW, but felt slightly better in hand to me.

I am not sure I understand: Prototype? There IS a Sage 5 LW (comp.lock) already in production (just in S30V, not Maxamet) - ?

Regarding "larger Chaparral LW" :Depends on what one feels is subjectively defining about a Chap:
Just for me it is the thin blade (Sage blade is 50 % thicker), thin overall profile and the unique (for Spyderco) backlock.
So the Sage 5 just can´t be a "larger Chap" for me (but sure can for you or others!)
--> :beaming-face <--
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:09 am
Wartstein wrote:
Halfneck wrote:

--> :beaming-face <--
" :beaming-face " - referring to which part of my post? :thinking :smirk
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:22 am

" :beaming-face " - referring to which part of my post? :thinking :smirk
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Xplorer wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:19 am
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:37 pm
Bolster wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:29 am
…we went straight to the prototype section in the corner and the Manix 2 lw salt was the first knife I held and it was SWEET, then the Para 3 lw salt caught my eye as well as the mini Kapara and Chad Kelly Piute…the Bodacious was off the charts good too…wasn’t allowed to take photos but still an Awesome time 👏👏👏

Wait...the Piute has made it to the Spyderco prototype stage??!?
Yup - I put it in my outstretched hand to take a quick pic and that’s when I was informed there were no photos allowed…he was super nice about it tho 🤷‍♂️
Wow, cool! I didn't even consider that it might be there. I bet you would have taken a great looking photo too. It's almost surreal for me to hear about my knife being in that case. That's been my edc for over a year. If I had realized it might go to the show I would have at least cleaned the scratches off the blade. :hushed-face

It sounds like you had a good time at the show. Thank you for your reports.
Hi Chad, your welcome and yeah if I could have taken a photo of the Piute I would have but I understand their reasoning…it looked great to me especially seeing as how it was your edc for over a year…had an awesome time considering the short window we had and I’m really glad I went straight to the prototype section of the Spyderco booth and saw your knife…I would have spent more time there but it was kinda busy…I didn’t see Eric but I was literally right next to the guy from SMKW doing an interview with Mr. Janich or I would spoken to him…it was so loud I could barely hear what he was saying…Great time 👍
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
I think he just meant it was in the prototype case. Not announced or released. Maxamet LW Sage 5 it appeared to be. Similar or same color LW scales as the Chap, so at first glance you may think it was a larger Chap. But once you see it, it is just a Maxamet LW Sage 5. But in the protoype case.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:12 am
Wartstein wrote:
I think he just meant it was in the prototype case. Not announced or released. Maxamet LW Sage 5 it appeared to be. Similar or same color LW scales as the Chap, so at first glance you may think it was a larger Chap. But once you see it, it is just a Maxamet LW Sage 5. But in the protoype case.

Thanks! :smlling-eyes
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

elena86 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:30 am
I wasn’t able to get there until Sunday mid-day so I only had a couple hours…we went straight to the prototype section in the corner and the Manix 2 lw salt was the first knife I held and it was SWEET, then the Para 3 lw salt caught my eye as well as the mini Kapara and Chad Kelly Piute…the Bodacious was off the charts good too…wasn’t allowed to take photos but still an Awesome time 👏👏👏
Mini Kapara !!! Do tell…
Well picture a Kapara only smaller 🤣… seriously tho it was so cool I would have bought it on the spot had it been for sale because I’ve always wanted a chopped Kapara after seeing Metal Complex’s review of the chopped Smock and Kapara by Bladechops on YouTube…Kobe?(I’m horrible on remembering names) showed me all the knives I wanted to see and he was great despite being very busy…toward the end of our time there I went to see if the Spyderco booth had slowed down any but that was not the case… the mini I held had carbon fiber I believe but it felt grippy, not peel-ply or anything just perfect…the size and rest of the small details I can’t really say because it was being passed around and I didn’t hold it long…it looked to be smaller than the one on YouTube but hard to tell w/o holding that one…and to be honest I was waiting to get my hands on the Manix 2 lw Salt…again!!!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:31 am
elena86 wrote:
Mini Kapara !!! Do tell…
Well picture a Kapara only smaller 🤣… seriously tho it was so cool I would have bought it on the spot had it been for sale because I’ve always wanted a chopped Kapara after seeing Metal Complex’s review of the chopped Smock and Kapara by Bladechops on YouTube…Kobe?(I’m horrible on remembering names) showed me all the knives I wanted to see and he was great despite being very busy…toward the end of our time there I went to see if the Spyderco booth had slowed down any but that was not the case… the mini I held had carbon fiber I believe but it felt grippy, not peel-ply or anything just perfect…the size and rest of the small details I can’t really say because it was being passed around and I didn’t hold it long…it looked to be smaller than the one on YouTube but hard to tell w/o holding that one…and to be honest I was waiting to get my hands on the Manix 2 lw Salt…again!!!

Locking or slipit ? The blade had the same shape ? Come on Salty ! Focus !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

elena86 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:47 am
elena86 wrote:
Mini Kapara !!! Do tell…

Locking/same shape but you may wanna verify that with riclaw 🤔
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Hi elena, let me make a call to my nephew because he held it too and I’ll get back with you
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:59 am
elena86 wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Mini Kapara !!! Do tell…

I remember seeing two models. Both satin blades but one dressed in G10 and the other in carbon fiber. The carbon fiber scales had more contouring. They were lying on their show side, but they could've been a slipit or compression lock. I remember the blades being more sheepsfoot'ey than pointy. Both had a 50/50 finger choil.
- Richard
cjk

Post by cjk »

riclaw wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:51 am
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:59 am
elena86 wrote:

I remember seeing two models. Both satin blades but one dressed in G10 and the other in carbon fiber. The carbon fiber scales had more contouring. They were lying on their show side, but they could've been a slipit or compression lock. I remember the blades being more sheepsfoot'ey than pointy. Both had a 50/50 finger choil.
Yep, one was a compression lock and the other was a slipit. The slipit was carbon fiber of some sort. I was particularly enamored with the slipit one.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

My nephew said the one we handled had a compression lock but he was infatuated with the mini Siren🤷‍♂️