Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by James Y »

I might come out of my retirement from knife-buying and get an M2 someday. Preferably in Magnacut, and in full SE. I am aware that nowadays, the name 'Magnacut' is to some people what garlic is to vampires, but that's OK. If it ever happens in that steel/configuration, everyone isn't obligated to buy one.

😉

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Leave aside all our wishes, wants, and dreams for the Military2, consider that Eric just told Knife Center at Blade that the Military Model used “old systems, outdated processes” (read slower and costlier production). What’s the bigger need? Our wants or Spyderco’s needs?

Make no mistake. Spyderco is all the while modernizing and the Military Model has just been modernized, that is, made cheaper and faster to produce. That’s the real story here.

Our desires for a new kind of Military2 may have inflected what the Military2 now is, but they did not start the whole thing rolling in just the way Eric wanted.

Whether or not the Military2 is actually an extended PM2, and should be called that, amounts to a testy conversation that disregards what actually birthed the Military2 .
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Eric did tell us in Amsterdam that the Military 2 would be 50 USD cheaper then the Military due to enhanced/faster/ easier manufacturing.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Jim Malone wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:20 am
Eric did tell us in Amsterdam that the Military 2 would be 50 USD cheaper then the Military due to enhanced/faster/ easier manufacturing.

US Street Prices:

Military Satin Blade: $238.00
Military 2 Satin Blade: $196.00

Satin Military 2 is $42.00 less.

Military Black DLC Blade: $252.00
Military 2 Black DLC Blade: $231.00

Black DLC Military 2 is only $21.00 less.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

James Y wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:36 am
I might come out of my retirement from knife-buying and get an M2 someday. Preferably in Magnacut, and in full SE. I am aware that nowadays, the name 'Magnacut' is to some people what garlic is to vampires, but that's OK. If it ever happens in that steel/configuration, everyone isn't obligated to buy one.

😉

Jim
:rofl Thanks, I needed a laugh just now.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The price reductions are pretty big news in this day and age.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I assume that since the Military uses old systems and outdated processes, it will be discontinued at some point in the not too distant future. Those that love them, get a couple soon.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone has a guess as to when the Military 2 is coming out? I paid my $5 to BHQ back in January and while I'm happy to wait, it would be nice to have an idea as to when. Thank you
ImHereForTheMilitary2

James Y wrote:

😉

Jim
Sorry Im new to knife collecting. Whats wrong with Magnacut?
ImHereForTheMilitary2

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:58 am
Leave aside all our wishes, wants, and dreams for the Military2, consider that Eric just told Knife Center at Blade that the Military Model used “old systems, outdated processes” (read slower and costlier production). What’s the bigger need? Our wants or Spyderco’s needs?

Make no mistake. Spyderco is all the while modernizing and the Military Model has just been modernized, that is, made cheaper and faster to produce. That’s the real story here.

Our desires for a new kind of Military2 may have inflected what the Military2 now is, but they did not start the whole thing rolling in just the way Eric wanted.

Whether or not the Military2 is actually an extended PM2, and should be called that, amounts to a testy conversation that disregards what actually birthed the Military2 .
Are you concerned about a degradation in quality?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I think at some point in 2024, we may see a Military2 Salt CPM-MagnaCut Black Grooved G-10 like the upcoming ParaMilitary2 Salt CPM-MagnaCut Black Grooved G-10. No coating necessary.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear ImHereForTheMilitary2:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:03 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

Are you concerned about a degradation in quality?
I am not.

We talk a lot about Glesser designs here, but the reference is usually to knives.

Yet Glesser designs also extend to the how and the where of sourcing and production. The thought put into these activities is nothing short of genius. Degraded product is precisely what this genius will not permit.

James Y

Post by James Y »

Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:02 pm
James Y wrote:

😉

Jim

Nothing, as far as I know. But in my observation, there are some people in the knife hobby who are tired of other people wanting knives in Magnacut. So they don't want to hear or read anything to do with it. I think someone even made a thread about it not too long ago. Which is very strange, IMO, since most haven't even tried it yet. And yet, there are other steels that are mentioned all the time as being highly desirable, and no one complains about those.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:02 pm
James Y wrote:

😉

Jim

Absolutely nothing is wrong with Magnacut ;) - it is an uber-amazing steel if one is looking for the best balance of the "big three" corrosion resistance, toughness, edge retention.

I think what Jim meant is that SOME people might be a bit overfed by the fact that MANY people want to "magnacut" everything, just because it actually and unarguably IS a great steel. And I am sure he was talking a bit with tongue in cheek ;) .

If one does not care for high corrosion resistance for example though, other steels, especially tool steels like K390, can be an even better choice for those.

EDIT :To be clear: I am not talking from personal experience with MC, but just from what I read up on it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

About the engineering behind the Military2’s gentle self-close (new!), see Eric’s comments starting about 2m42s in https://youtu.be/9MfEHFbvxLs.

Gotta say, Eric’s presentations of new or CQI’d models are getting really, really informative.

horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Sounds like the "reverse detent ramp" I thought of in the "compression lock with close bias" thread. Wonder if by any chance I was the inspiration or just thinking along the same lines

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88788&p=1711598#p1711598
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Can’t know for sure until we see it apart.
I assume the knives were designed or already made to have the detent, which is a critical part of operation and engineering design, well before April.
It’s probably a CQI thing that’s been in the works for a while.

Hopefully Eric does another YouTube video breakdown of the Military 2 so we can get more of his detailed insights into the design and engineering.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

On the other hand, there was no mention of it on the Shot Show coverage (or Blade Show 2022 for that matter). And it would just be an addition, not an overhaul of a conventional detent hole system.

One can dream ;)
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

wrdwrght wrote:

I'm a designer, Industrial Engineering is my background. I've had oodles of Para 2s, a few Para 3s, and oodles of Militaries. Looking at a CQI Military and the Military 2, the only 2 differences in production I can see are the clip and the lock. Every other design feature is similar - the pivot bushing, nested steel liners, distally tapered full flat grind. I'm sure that using the same mediocre clip (mediocre because they always seem to loosen up, something I never have happen on my Military) as the other Para knives is better for the factory, and I'm sure that fitting a Compression lock is easier than a liner lock.

While this works out well for Spyderco, I don't see them making these changes for their own reasons - I don't believe that the greater market appreciates what the Military offers anymore.

That said, it seems like Spyderco's dealers sell every Military they get in stock. Plain edged black handled models are unavailable for months at a time between production runs. As long as they're selling I imagine Spyderco will continue to make them, and if the Military 2 replaces the original in sales I still believe that Spyderco will do sprint runs of the real Military.

I'm sad to see it happen but this is a good time to stock up on spares if you like the original. I wish I could go back and pick up spares for several discontinued great knives whose end was coming.