Upcoming P.I.T.S. 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Upcoming P.I.T.S. 2

Post by JRinFL »

I just wanted to spin this one out from the other thread. Hopefully we can get more information and more pictures.

Picture grabbed from the other thread. If it is yours, let me know so I can assign credit to you.
Attachments
pits2-screenshot.jpg
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Re: Upcoming P.I.T.S. 2

Post by JRinFL »

This is pretty radical departure from Mike Read's previous design. It also looks like a new slip joint mechanism as well. Did anyone get to handle it at Blade Show?
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:02 am
This is pretty radical departure from Mike Read's previous design. It also looks like a new slip joint mechanism as well. Did anyone get to handle it at Blade Show?
I agree, large departure from the previous design. In my opinion, this one leaves room for desire, especially in comparison to the original.

My biggest hang up is that the knife is intentionally missing the blade tip! It looks like it is pre-broken.

It’s an interesting handle design. I think it’s cool how it incorporates the locking mechanism into it.

One observation I had is that the slipjoint mechanism itself almost looks like an upscaled version of the original PITS slipjoint mechanism. Looks like it was upscaled and positioned in the center of the handle opposed to the top.
-Nick :bug-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I rather like the blade shape surprisingly, it did look a bit off to me at first. Upon zooming in and looking at the picture further my eyes adjusted better to the angle the knife is laying towards the camera and how that angled down tip of the spine on that reverse-tanto/leaf blade appears, it certainly has its function. Looks like a decently comfortable handle, never handled the 1 but I think it’s shape appears a bit more comfy to me. My biggest dislike is just the handle cut out, just not my thing, I liked round hole cutouts. Overall a cool piece imo
:bug-red-white
vanka

Post by vanka »

Code name is "Alien". First fifty pieces batch is being worked on by Mike and as far as I know all fifty are pre booked. I was too busy working and missed the "party". Blade length is 72mm to be compliant with the UK regulations.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

The P.I.T.S. sprint is one of my favorite knives. This one doesn't hold the same appeal. It'll definitely be worth checking out, but so far I can't get past the blade tip and the apparently less hand-filling handle, especially when the OG is so comfortable in hand.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ll be getting a PITS2 chiefly to see how the “locking” mechanism is even more genius than the original.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

Blade shape gives off a Techno 2 vibe, though some differences. This one looks pretty comfortable with the areas for your fingers to fall into. The P.I.T.S. is an awesome knife and one of my favorite "go-to's" as well as the Techno 2, so this knife upon 1 image seems to be right up my alley.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

To save some typing I’ll quote myself from the Edgerati thread:
I wasn't expecting a PITS 2, so that one came from left field. Interesting knife indeed. I almost caved on the PITS 1 sprint, but while I really liked the concept, there were some elements of the design I wasn't sure I would be able to adapt to.
The PITS 2, while very different, seems to address most, if not all of my reservations with the OG. Won't know for sure until more details are released, e.g. size and weight. It appears to be somewhat smaller than the OG, which I wouldn't mind, especially if it's thinner and lighter as well. I also like the friendly / non threatening blade shape (and overall design), as unfortunately appearance makes a difference in some places and there hasn't been a whole lot of sheepsfoot-ish slip joints available since I got into Spyderco. Hope to see it make it to production and that EU price tags won't be impossible to justify
I’ll admit the OG was better looking and @coastal might be right about the ergonomics. On the face of it, having the tension bar in the top of the handle also seems more secure, as force will be applied from the hand as well. Apart from that, to someone who hasn’t tried it, the OG seemed hard to justify for pocket time (not even considering the price at this point). By that I mean it seemed a bit over built for a slip joint. Admittedly my OCD also got caught up in the unsharpened heel of the blade. Just a few mm, I know, but seemed unnecessary. So while there was lots to like about the OG, I just wasn’t able to see a realistic use case for it. The sock drawer spots were already over booked.

The image of the PITS 2 makes me optimistic that it could be the PITS for me, but I won’t really know until more details are revealed.
It seems to be slightly smaller, hopefully lighter and preferably with a thinner blade stock. If all those stars align this could be a better Techno 2 for me (which was one of my initial thoughts, even before CLOK brought it up).
The Techno 2 has charming looks, practical size and a non-threatening blade shape, but it’s ridiculously overbuilt and sees hardly any pocket time because of it.
The PITS 2 hardly has the looks of a Techno 2, but it has that interesting tension bar design to make up for it. The leaf-foot blade shape maintains some of the non-threatening esthetics of the T2 and the non-locking nature of the design just adds to that theme.

I suspect EU pricing will be a mouth full, but if the specs adds up I can see myself letting go of both the Techno 2 and the HH Urban to help pay the bill.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:05 pm
I suspect EU pricing will be a mouth full, but if the specs adds up I can see myself letting go of both the Techno 2 and the HH Urban to help pay the bill.
I'll be there if that Techno 2 would happen to have trouble finding a new home :purple-devil :winking-tongue

I kinda feel the same thing about the PITS sprint run. There was a lot of things really making it special, ad it pulled me in almost to the point of buying it. However there's some stuff that I did not like (it's a given for any knife) and the price stopped me.

However, I really regret not buying one during the online 2nds sales ! It was my first 2nds sales and I never hoped for it to happen online after covid so I panicked and bought other stuff :woozy
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If I approach it the way I do the quirky Technos, then I find it appealing. If I approach it coming from the previous PITS, it is a bit less appealing. More pictures will help me get a better understanding of the design. I'm betting that it feels great in the hand.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cjk

Post by cjk »

It appears that the pivot is in the machined in "arm" in the middle of the scales and probably actually moves up and down when "unlocking"?

I'm very interested to see what the tang looks like and how that works exactly.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:56 pm
If I approach it the way I do the quirky Technos, then I find it appealing. If I approach it coming from the previous PITS, it is a bit less appealing. More pictures will help me get a better understanding of the design. I'm betting that it feels great in the hand.
Since you're a fan of both the P.I.T.S. sprint and the Technos, you might become my guinea pig for the P.I.T.S. 2. I admit that if I look at it from a Techno 2 standpoint, it's more appealing. If the the blade tip were rounded like the Techno 2's, I might have made that connection myself. A somewhat larger, thinner, sliplock Techno 2 would definitely get my attention.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cjk wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:03 pm
It appears that the pivot is in the machined in "arm" in the middle of the scales and probably actually moves up and down when "unlocking"?

You’re correct. The plaque underneath the knife states “Blade pivot is supported by integral split springs in the handle scales.”

I’m also very interested to learn more about this slipjoint mechanism! :nerd
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Tangentially related thread from a few years back. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69682. New lock mentioned, plus a brief reference to this model.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Wow, i like this bladeshape!
Sal, please tell us more.

Regards
ASF
cjk

Post by cjk »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:12 pm
cjk wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:03 pm

You’re correct. The plaque underneath the knife states “Blade pivot is supported by integral split springs in the handle scales.”

I’m also very interested to learn more about this slipjoint mechanism! :nerd
I was so intently staring at the knife that I completely missed that there were words to read. :face monocle Now that I've read them, hey, it's M398 too! :nerd
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I really like this. The PITS is one of the ones consistently in my rotation. I'll be very interested in this one and will probably get this if timing and funds align. I see there was a PITS 3 made at one time by the original maker...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The custom PITS is up to its 5th iteration.

I anguished about ordering the Alien when it’s order book was open but a combination of its cost (more difficult to machine, apparently) and uncertainty about handle fit (SPITS is cramped for me) held me back.
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Wait what? Want!