Are you going to Blade Show ATL June 2nd-4th?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Are you going to Blade Show ATL June 2nd-4th?

Post by JSumm »

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

OMG ! Jeff is up to something! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I just want to say, we are incredibly blessed to have Ed Schempp and Michael Janich as a part of this community. Both their knowledge and who they are add a lot to this community. Thanks Mike and Ed for taking the time with us at the booth today. Appreciate the both of you!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:09 pm
I just want to say, we are incredibly blessed to have Ed Schempp and Michael Janich as a part of this community. Both their knowledge and who they are add a lot to this community. Thanks Mike and Ed for taking the time with us at the booth today. Appreciate the both of you!
Seconded!! Thanks so much Ed and Michael!!!
cjk

Post by cjk »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:12 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 8:04 pm
The prototype cabinet is definitely my favorite! You find some really cool people there.
Getting a glimpse of that prototype cabinet is one of the primary reasons why I want to make it to a Blade Show one of these of years! :respect :bug-white-red
It's SUPER cool!!! Highly recommended!! You also get to chat with whoever is working the cabinet which is a huge bonus.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Going to the Blade show tomorrow morning. Pics soon to follow.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cjk wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:48 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:12 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 8:04 pm
The prototype cabinet is definitely my favorite! You find some really cool people there.
Getting a glimpse of that prototype cabinet is one of the primary reasons why I want to make it to a Blade Show one of these of years! :respect :bug-white-red
It's SUPER cool!!! Highly recommended!! You also get to chat with whoever is working the cabinet which is a huge bonus.
I might have to make it happen next year. The show itself sounds like a lot of fun but that prototype case would be one of the best parts! :bug-white-red

I would imagine it varies year to year but do you do know many knives are in the prototype case? Only a handful, like half of a dozen, or is there more than that? Are they prototypes from Spyderco (Sal and Eric) and collaborator's? Are they for display only or are show attendees allowed to handle them? I could ask a thousand and one questions, so I’ll just stop there. :rofl I appreciate any info you’re able to provide! :respect
-Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

We show Prototypes and Concept Models at shows and meets to get feedback from attendees. We want to know what you think.

sal
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Floor Plan: Spyderco 101 lower lefthand corner.
Last edited by mongo1958 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:09 pm
I might have to make it happen next year. The show itself sounds like a lot of fun but that prototype case would be one of the best parts! :bug-white-red

I would imagine it varies year to year but do you do know many knives are in the prototype case? Only a handful, like half of a dozen, or is there more than that? Are they prototypes from Spyderco (Sal and Eric) and collaborator's? Are they for display only or are show attendees allowed to handle them? I could ask a thousand and one questions, so I’ll just stop there. :rofl I appreciate any info you’re able to provide! :respect
There's a lot. Maybe 40 knives.... Maybe more.

Both in house and collaborations. Not sure how much we are allowed to share. Photos and videos of course are not allowed. They had some models from the last reveal. You can handle all of them and talk to the guys working the prototype case. Always a highlight of the show. I plan on going back Sunday and handling some more.

Edit - a lot of models that get brought up here are displayed. A little something for everyone. There is something special that will make Gernot very happy. 😉
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:19 am
There is something special that will make Gernot very happy. 😉
Now you got me curios as well :thinking
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:58 am
JSumm wrote:
What is small gray with teeth all over?
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

KnifeCenter show coverage

https://youtu.be/9MfEHFbvxLs
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rusty_Shackelford

Post by Rusty_Shackelford »

Yesterday was a lot of fun. It was a real pleasure meeting and briefly speaking with Mr. Janich. For anyone who hasn’t made it to the show, it’s well worth the trip.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:33 am
aicolainen wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:58 am
JSumm wrote:
What is small gray with teeth all over?
Ooo.. that's swe..
..OHHH MY, Austria will surly tremble :D

I was under the impression I was well covered in the SE department, but I think another on was just added to my list.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The Bodacious is what I was most excited to see. It is the choiless Shaman. We thought it was going to come with the same blade thickness, but they ended up thinning the stock quite a bit while maintaining the thicker tip. It is Awesome! Smooth G10 scales, but they are not contoured as heavily as the current Shaman. What that means is you have a great flat spot to pinch to close the compression lock. No more complaints about slipping. Even with the smooth scales. I think the contouring is the greatest contributor to the slipping complaint you hear about. Fingers right up to the edge of a Golden Made great model!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SMKW posted a video with Spyderco from Blade Show ATL 2023 - https://youtu.be/wwX4Zs4W1Z0?t=414

6:54 - 22:54 is the Spyderco coverage.

The camera work seems like it pushes the boundaries of what is allowed to be photographed in the prototype case. :zipper I spotted about 5 unmistakable prototypes that probably shouldn't have been shown. They’re mostly distant and relatively difficult to make out but they're still visible enough to tell what they are. Some are easily distinguishable though. :face-clouds
-Nick :bug-red
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Yeah, I initially messaged them on Instagram, but deleted my message because I just wasn’t sure what the right thing to do or say was.
I didn’t really want to comment publicly to spread attention, either.
Something similar happened last year, but the video quality was much worse, the channel was much smaller, it was also probably unintentional, and I don’t think anyone else noticed, so I didn’t bring it up.

It seems unintentional, but maybe they could re-upload the interview with the classified parts of the background slightly blurred or something.

SMKW would probably honor Spyderco’s request if they are made aware directly by Spyderco.

I don’t think it’s a huge deal because there’s no malicious intent in this case. Everybody has cameras pointing all over the place at an event like that, so there’s bound to be some accidental leaks.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I watched the whole thing and didn't notice. I might if I watch it again and look even harder, but I don't have the patience.
My thinking is that whatever outlines of a knife that camera was able to catch from that angle and distance, can't be all that secret.
Intentional detail photos is something else entirely, and probably what they don't want.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I noticed pretty quickly and some knives are very clearly visible and close in the video.
It’s not like you have to zoom in or inspect the furthest corner. They’re just casually in the background.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: