Shouldn’t love it but do

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wheats

Shouldn’t love it but do

Post by wheats »

What is the knife that you shouldn’t love, but do? Not necessarily your favorite or go-to. I’m talking about the one that goes against what you’ve always looked for or had use for, something that at first glance checks off none of the typical boxes, but for whatever reason just works for you? For me, the McBee is the one. Too small, not something I would have ever expected to work. Bought it on a bit of a whim, collectors piece just for the quality and materials but is now for the last month my absolute office edc and find a use for it every day.
ladybug93

Re: Shouldn’t love it but do

Post by ladybug93 »

the only spydercos that fit this description for me are my smaller knives also. the roadie a smaller knife than i want to carry generally, but it's such a great little knife. i really like it. the squarehead lw is a knife i don't really even use as a knife. i carry more as a worry stone kind of a thing for the texture and tactile joy of a well-designed little liner lock knife. both of these are really amazing designs.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Mine are near the opposite ends of the size spectrum: The Rhino and the Hundred Pacer. Both feature trailing-point blades, and neither is very useful to me. Honorable mention to the Techno 2.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Techno 1 and Techno 2. Both have a charm that outweighs their shortcomings.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

K390 Dragonfly Wharncliffe - it’s a constant vigil to keep it rust free (I’m in the tropics), it’s tiny and it has no belly. My gosh though - it is a fantastic little knife for IWB carry, you can dig splinters out with the tip, tune your chainsaw carb with it, clean out your guide bar rails with the back of the tip, graft fruit trees, cut fruit for the kids and it patinas up beautifully.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Dialex Junior. Big belly blade that's difficult to use for many tasks, ingot VG10 steel, but an excellent feel in the hand and a shockingly large blade packed into the handle. Disappears into the pocket so very stealthy.

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

Some days I guess I feel a little silly preferring the Resilience to the Manix XL, Police or Military. All very fine designs. But the more I use it the more I appreciate having the edge come all the eay to the handle.
:unicorn
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

For me it's the Big Girls - Po Po 4, Stretch 2 XL, Manix 2XL, Native Chief, Tropen, and the Vallotton Sub-Hilt.

The Native 5 is the perfect knife for my needs, and I can legally carry it here in LA. The PM2 is about as large a blade as I can claim to *need* at home. I have many versions of both, as well as Para 3s, Sage 5s, Yo 2s, and Chaparrals. I love them all. I find the DFly 2 in K390 getting a lot of my everyday use. Smaller knives make more sense for me.

The Chief in XHP from Cutlery Shoppe was the first to break me out on a longer blade. I just have to take it out and show it to a cardboard box and the box falls to pieces. Same with the Police 4 in K390 & the Stretch 2 XL. Complete overkill, but very satisfying to use.

The Manix 2XL gets more love than the LW 2 that I've had for awhile. This is a perfect design for a slicey beast. And the Tropen is just pure insane fun. I pretty much use it when nobody is looking, with a big smile on my face.

The Sub-Hilt probably surprised me the most. No way I can claim to need it, but I love it. She's a chonky gal, but feels so solid in hand - and that blade with the compound hollow grind is ready for anything. Now that I think of it, a couple of decades of carrying a Buck 110 probably has something to do with why I love this one so much - 3.75" blades and a lot of junk in the trunk.
Brian
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wheats wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:36 pm
What is the knife that you shouldn’t love, but do? Not necessarily your favorite or go-to. I’m talking about the one that goes against what you’ve always looked for or had use for, something that at first glance checks off none of the typical boxes, but for whatever reason just works for you? For me, the McBee is the one. Too small, not something I would have ever expected to work. Bought it on a bit of a whim, collectors piece just for the quality and materials but is now for the last month my absolute office edc and find a use for it every day.

Good question, but for me it is... none.

I guess I am too much of a practical guy for actually loving a Spydie/folder that "checks none (or even too few) of the typical boxes".

I love and (still) own all of my Spydies mostly (though sure not exclusively) for rational reasons and right because they do check most boxes I came to like at this point of my "knife journey".

From the top of my head some of these boxes are: Thinner blade, SE if I can have it, FRN (or Micarta or wood), lighter weight, preferably backlock, not a comp.lock, and for a main EDC (!): Larger size, long blade/edge.

So just somewhat related to your "shouldn´t love but do" question

- Stainless steel Endura:

Cons: It is really heavy, the handle is very slick, and mine is not in SE.
BUT: On the flipside it is (aside from the weight) a dream to carry (very thin, hand slides by the slick handle in pocket extremely easy). And, being an older one, it has a nice hollow ground blade (not the sabre grind of the current versions)

Manix 2 LW

Also not in SE, not a backlock, and pretty short edge for the overall size.
BUT: Amazing REX 45 steel, perfect for what it is and for days when I don´t need a long cutting edge, great ergos, CBBL is almost as good as a backlock (and in some ways better) for me.

Chaparral FRN

Very small, no SE, and a bit "heavy" for the overall size
BUT: Great for whenever one WANTS to carry a small footprint, great lock, "heavy" in a good way as in extremely solid hard use small folder.

One that I don´t actually own:

Shaman

Cons: Heavy, short edge for the overall size and weight, too thick blade, comp.lock
BUT: Still a very nice knife (could handle one once), great handle, just a very cool design. I know that I´ll certainly have a Shaman eventually, but will not carry it a lot or have real use for that particular design.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

All this talk of dragonfly’s in K390 is making me want some. I’ve always liked the dragonfly but never tried that steel. The amount I use it day to day it would probably last 10 years before it would need to be sharpened haha.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:04 am
All this talk of dragonfly’s in K390 is making me want some. I’ve always liked the dragonfly but never tried that steel. The amount I use it day to day it would probably last 10 years before it would need to be sharpened haha.
I gave away my first k390 wharnie DF before I got to use it much, but after getting my replacement in April last year, it has hardly left my pocket. For work / day to day EDC it's the best I've ever tried, and can't really imagine how to improve upon it.
Mostly due to the blade shape and form factor, as I'd easily get the same knife in VG-10 if the k390 didn't exist, but k390 is just the icing on the cake.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

RugerNurse wrote:
It is a surprisingly excellent little knife. In between it and my SE H1 Dragonfly they’ve pretty much got all the small knife bases covered (although as a Brit the UKPK holds a special place in my heart in the small knife category). The only thing more ferocious a cutter than that SE H1 DF is a chainsaw!
- Al

Dream knives -
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Dragonfly Salt and Chaparral lw for me…little BIG knives that are perfect for edc, definitely need the k390 wharnie tho as I’ve come to appreciate that blade shape 👍
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Farid K2. I'm not a fan of metal handles in general, titanium really doesn't thrill me, and RIL/framelocks annoy me to the point that I actively avoid them. Yet somehow the K2 finds its way into my pocket, and I find myself looking for excuses to use it. Go figure.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:26 am
RugerNurse wrote:
The only thing more ferocious a cutter than that SE H1 DF is a chainsaw!
How do serrations do with everyday tasks? I’ve been curious about trying them but haven’t pulled the trigger on one
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

They do very well. You really need to.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:12 am

How do serrations do with everyday tasks? I’ve been curious about trying them but haven’t pulled the trigger on one
They make a bit of a messy cut compared to a plain edge, but they make it with extreme prejudice. I use SE knives for dirty jobs generally, like cutting old rope that’s covered in mud.
- Al

Dream knives -
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
RugerNurse wrote:

I´ve replied already to your question concerning Stretch XL SE vs Pac Salt H1 SE in the "Serrations" thread.

But generally: For me properly sharpened SE (easy to do with for example a Sharpmaker) SE does better in pretty much any "everyday task" than PE. You really should give it a try!

And if your goal is to experience that "SE is the better PE" thing: Go with not too "aggressive" serrations. My recommendation always is the Endela SE, the Stretch XL SE is also very good and the Caribbean SE must be amazing anyway from what I read (never tried one myself though).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Well said, and the Delica Wharncliffe SE, at least the one I have, is great also.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:42 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
RugerNurse wrote:

I´ve replied already to your question concerning Stretch XL SE vs Pac Salt H1 SE in the "Serrations" thread.

But generally: For me properly sharpened SE (easy to do with for example a Sharpmaker) SE does better in pretty much any "everyday task" than PE. You really should give it a try!

And if your goal is to experience that "SE is the better PE" thing: Go with not too "aggressive" serrations. My recommendation always is the Endela SE, the Stretch XL SE is also very good and the Caribbean SE must be amazing anyway from what I read (never tried one myself though).
I have some points with DLT so the stretch 2 would only be $55 haha. The stretch as an almost 4” blade which is really nice. I’ll grab one and give it a try.