Edgerati Prototype

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Edgerati Prototype

Post by kennethsime »

Love it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

They’re still prototypes. I would think the compression lock not having an obvious cutout, button, or other feature to allow for comfortable disengagement reflects that, rather than an intentional part of the design.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I believe they’re production prototypes, meaning what we’re seeing pictured is what’s slated for production. If there was going to be a cutout for lock access, I believe we would be seeing it on that sample.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:52 am
I believe they’re production prototypes, meaning what we’re seeing pictured is what’s slated for production. If there was going to be a cutout for lock access, I believe we would be seeing it on that sample.

But how is one supposed to use the lock as it is now?
I am sure there IS an obvious way and I just don t see it...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

The Edgerati handle is a bit hard to swallow at first glance. It may be racing inspired, but as for real use I'm only able to see innovations that will slow me down. Looking forward to be proven wrong, but so far the Bodacious sounds like the most interesting development based on the Shaman platform.

I wasn't expecting a PITS 2, so that one came from left field. Interesting knife indeed. I almost caved on the PITS 1 sprint, but while I really liked the concept, there were some elements of the design I wasn't sure I would be able to adapt to.
The PITS 2, while very different, seems to address most, if not all of my reservations with the OG. Won't know for sure until more details are released, e.g. size and weight. It appears to be somewhat smaller than the OG, which I wouldn't mind, especially if it's thinner and lighter as well. I also like the friendly / non threatening blade shape (and overall design), as unfortunately appearance makes a difference in some places and there hasn't been a whole lot of sheepsfoot-ish slip joints available since I got into Spyderco. Hope to see it make it to production and that EU price tags won't be impossible to justify.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

My prediction for the Edgerati is that it’s between 2.4 to 2.8 ounces or approximately half the weight of the current Shaman. It is thinner, but not too thin because the cutouts allow it to keep some thickness and the aluminum doesn’t need liners.
The aluminum PM2s were ~3.25 ounces with solid slabs.

It would be so easy to clean with a little water or air that I have zero worries about the cutouts, personally.

I’m really looking forward to learning more about it and hopefully a bit more about the intended comp lock set up.

Learning more about the car that inspired it has been pretty interesting.

I don’t know why it has captivated me as much as it has because this is not normally my style!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:41 am
Mushroom wrote:

I’m just speculating. The knife could still end up changing in the future.

That said, it’s still usable without a lock cutout or a button. So even if it doesn't change and what we’re seeing is the final form before heading to production, the lock can still be used. I’m guessing it’s just a little more difficult to access the lock lab than a knife with a lock cutout though.

Spyderco has done this with linerlock knives in the past and they’re still functional. The Gayle Bradley and Gayle Bradley 2 both have similarly limited access to the lock tab and are those often touted as some of Spyderco’s best knives. The Firefly, Vrango, and Burch Chubby are a few others that have limited access to the lock tab and were still functional.
-Nick :bug-red
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I love everything about the Edgerati, except for the noticeable lack of good chamfering which defined the Shaman's ergonomics.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Would you call that a 'bead-blasted' aluminum handle on the Edgerati? I wonder if it would show wear rather quickly? It's probably hard anodized aluminum, though. I see that Spyderco is sticking with S30V for this race-car knife.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:08 pm
Hi Robin,

Yes, Photographs re not permitted at the prototype case at our booth. The pictures shown were taken at the Awards case, and not the prototype case at our booth.

sal
Hi and thanks for the clarification ! If I ever find myself in a dark corner of the Internet and end up being shown knives from the prototype case, I'll know not to share them.

Funny thing is that I'm so used to see Spyderco knives in that display case (the Awards case), that I thought it was at your booth ! Winning awards that consistently is something really impressive.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:55 am
The Edgerati handle is a bit hard to swallow at first glance. It may be racing inspired, but as for real use I'm only able to see innovations that will slow me down. Looking forward to be proven wrong, but so far the Bodacious sounds like the most interesting development based on the Shaman platform.
I've read "Bodacious" a lot of times in messages from people coming back from Blade Show. Is it a knife design from Spyderco, still in the prototyping stage ? Or is it a mod someone made, a reblade or something like that ?

All I can find is a 2011 post explaining the naming ^^
sal wrote: Hi Mil-Dot,

Actually, the name "Bodacious" is being saved for a large Rescue model designed for the Rodeo market. "Bodacious" was the name of a very famous bull that was impossible to ride. He has a special weave for his harness. We had a replica made of the original weave of the harness tha we plan to use as the scale texture.

sal
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:50 pm
I've read "Bodacious" a lot of times in messages from people coming back from Blade Show. Is it a knife design from Spyderco, still in the prototyping stage ? Or is it a mod someone made, a reblade or something like that ?
The Bodacious appears to be the "production sample" Protoype (not sure the proper designation, appears to be production quality) of the Choiless Shaman. Blade stock about the same as the Manix 2. Scales are contoured at the edge, but not all the way up the scales. Pretty flat on the sides not causing any concern that you will pinch the knife out of your grip when you close it. Smooth G10 scales too.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:35 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:41 am
Mushroom wrote:

I’m just speculating. The knife could still end up changing in the future.

That said, it’s still usable without a lock cutout or a button. So even if it doesn't change and what we’re seeing is the final form before heading to production, the lock can still be used. I’m guessing it’s just a little more difficult to access the lock lab than a knife with a lock cutout though.

Spyderco has done this with linerlock knives in the past and they’re still functional. The Gayle Bradley and Gayle Bradley 2 both have similarly limited access to the lock tab and are those often touted as some of Spyderco’s best knives. The Firefly, Vrango, and Burch Chubby are a few others that have limited access to the lock tab and were still functional.
Plus, the little plaque bellow the knife says it is a "streamlined" comp lock. I'm pretty sure this is how the final version will look.

Holding my GB2 upside down shows me that disengaging this "streamlined" lock will not be difficult.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I like this design!
I'm looking forward to more information.

ASF
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:19 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:50 pm
The Bodacious appears to be the "production sample" Protoype (not sure the proper designation, appears to be production quality) of the Choiless Shaman. Blade stock about the same as the Manix 2. Scales are contoured at the edge, but not all the way up the scales. Pretty flat on the sides not causing any concern that you will pinch the knife out of your grip when you close it. Smooth G10 scales too.
Thanks Jeff, this description sure is appealing. I'm really looking forward to seeing pictures of it one day (I hope)

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Neat stuff. Not sure either of these will be for me, but always love seeing the envelope pushed with new designs and twists on old designs.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

S90V seems like it'd have been the obvious choice, though intriguing nonetheless. I feel that a "racing" version that's obviously going to come in at a premium price point could afford premium steel. It seems so many models either just make it to the 85% mark, or are so over the top that they are priced beyond reason.

I know this reads negatively, but that's not my intention, I'm just surprised with the choice of S30V given the use case and design.
So it goes.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Robin,

We've been saving the name "Bodacious" for many years and Eric decided he would like to use the name on this model.

Hey Airlsee,

An S30V intro model leaves the other steels free for demand to choose.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hard for me to not think of these two when the word “bodacious” comes up…

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Saw some ads for skinny Shaman scales. Guess this is the retaliatory anorexic zombie Shaman.