Edgerati Prototype

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Edgerati Prototype

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:49 am
Yay, a grammar thread morph! Notice how close Ramonade was to being correct, however: If the sentence were changed slightly to either: "...maybe some of whom..." or "...maybe someone who..." then it would be The King's English, either way.

So, back to the Edgerati: Is this an officially announced item...for sure it'll go into production? Or is it just a prototype to gauge interest? If official, through what venue was this announced?

How will this be for dirty/gritty environments...better or worse than a "full scaled" knife?

Any idea the weight?

I think the bird cage is an exciting concept. I can also imagine it gives a really good grip...the skin of your fingers would press slightly into the voids.
It looks like it might have won an award. :thinking It has a label at the bottom of the first photo “Most Inno…”, which I’d assume reads “Most Innovative.” I’m guessing it will still need to be featured in a Reveal catalog before it’s “official” but it appears to be it’s past the prototype stage, at least.

I also had the same concerns about working in dirty/gritty environments. There’s a window directly over the lock, which provides a cool view of the lock in action but it also provides easy exterior access to the inner workings of the lock and even then pivot. It might just be something that requires a little bit more cleaning and maintenance than the average knife but with the open scales it shouldn’t be too much of a hassle to clean out.
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:58 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:32 am
It’s… interesting. Looks a lot like a home modified Shaman to me, using custom made scales and a slightly reshaped blade. I would’ve preferred the original Shaman blade shape over the straight spine, personally.
I think so too concerning spine . I suppose it is to give it a look of its own or maybe a better fit of blade to scale ? Not sure . MG2
It could be because definitely has it a look of it’s own. It doesn’t exactly scream “Shaman” at first glance, and that could be the point. Still similar but just enough difference to differentiate it as it’s own knife, maybe.

The straight spine gives it a more acute tip, so I have a feeling it was primarily done to improve peircing performance.
-Nick :bug-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:02 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:54 am
whom* : hate this word, I'm sure I shouldn't have used it here, I never know when to use it !
Here it should have been 'who.' If it helps, who is always a subject of the sentence. It is a pronoun like I. What's more it is a WH word and often signifies a question: Who will help me with this?

In your sentence it pairs with someone and is the subject: Maybe someone who saw it... Just like: Maybe he saw it.

Whom is always the object. It is a pronoun that gets acted on by a verb or has a preposition. To whom shall we write? I wrote that letter to the person to whom it was meant.

A better way to look at it is that if you can replace he or she with a word then use who. If you can replace him or her with the word, then use whom.

This is the one who wrote me. (It is he/she who wrote me)

Four of us went to Blade Show, one of whom was the driver. (Four of us went to Blade Show, the driver was one of us).

Sorry.
It was actually a clearer explanation for me ! French is a language that took from every language that was "hype" at the moment of its creation. Its grammar became very, very complex for that reason. What you described seems to be what we'd call a passive voice sentence. That, I can understand :grin-big eyes .

Anyways, online must not be the best place to type this kind of sentence. Since people often have trouble understanding each other while they are using simple and direct sentences :exploding-head :squinting-tongue

Ok, let's close this parenthesis (thanks everyone). I humbly suggest to go back to the Edgerati, a knife for whom the designer was Sal Glesser.
(It was a test, I don't think I passed it)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mushroom wrote:
It’s… interesting. Looks a lot like a home modified Shaman to me, using custom made scales and a slightly reshaped blade. I would’ve preferred the original Shaman blade shape over the straight spine, personally.
I thought photographing the prototypes was verboten. Whatever, it’s way easier for me to see a Native5 rather than a Shaman in the Edgerati’s pedigree. But if this is Sal’s “racing Shaman”, I’m not going to argue. I’m still wondering how the straight-spine Stretches are Stretches.

ETA: With a Shaman in hand, I now get the “racing Shaman” idea and am starting to like it.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:55 am
Mushroom wrote:
I thought photographing the prototypes was verboten. Whatever, it’s way easier for me to see a Native5 rather than a Shaman in the Edgerati’s pedigree. But if this is Sal’s “racing Shaman”, I’m not going to argue. I’m still wondering how the straight-spine Stretches are Stretches.

Since pictures of it and the PITS 2 were everywhere I thought it wasn't a problem. If it is, I apologize to the crew for making a whole thread about it :grin-sweat

For both the Edgerati and Stretches, the handle are the strongest similarity (well, on the SS Stretch 2 it's the same handle...). I have to admit that perimeter of the Edgerati's handle looks more like the shaman handle than the Native 5.

For the blade profile though, it's basically a bigger Native 5 blade with the swedge cleanly removed on a grinder ! Makes me want to try and do the same with one of mines :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
I thought photographing the prototypes was verboten. Whatever, it’s way easier for me to see a Native5 rather than a Shaman in the Edgerati’s pedigree.
I believe Spyderco entered this model into the Blade Show and subsequently allows photos of it to be taken. Similar to last year when the Military 2 won American Made Knife of the Year, it was shown off and photographed but had not yet been officially revealed in a catalog yet. I believe the Edgerati won the “Most Innovative American Made knife” award.

I have also seen a photo of a PITS 2 that appears to have won the “Most Innovative Imported Knife” award.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:18 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
I thought photographing the prototypes was verboten. Whatever, it’s way easier for me to see a Native5 rather than a Shaman in the Edgerati’s pedigree.
I believe Spyderco entered this model into the Blade Show and subsequently allows photos of it to be taken. Similar to last year when the Military 2 won American Made Knife of the Year, it was shown off and photographed but had not yet been officially revealed in a catalog yet. I believe the Edgerati won the “Most Innovative American Made knife” award.

I have also seen a photo of a PITS 2 that appears to have won the “Most Innovative Imported Knife” award.
PITS2!? Got a link?

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:23 pm

PITS2!? Got a link?
I will oblige :

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

wrdwrght wrote:
PITS2!? Got a link?
I have only seen one photo on Instagram -

Account - spydiearch - https://instagram.com/spydiearch?igshid ... BiNWFlZA==

Photo -
[img] - provided by Robin! ;)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtExoYtuGYz ... BiNWFlZA==
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:29 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

PITS2!? Got a link?
I will oblige :

Thanks, Robin

BTW, my comment about photographing prototypes was not aimed at you, nor was it a criticism. I was trying confirm that awards are Spyderco’s new way of revealing what’s coming. Seems so, with the Military2 last year, and now the Edgerati and PITS2 this year. I’m sure in for the Military2 and PITS2. I’m too confused by the “racing Shaman”.

ETA: Much less confused now that I have a Shaman in hand.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:31 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
PITS2!? Got a link?
I have only seen one photo on Instagram -

Account - spydiearch - https://instagram.com/spydiearch?igshid ... BiNWFlZA==

Photo -
[img] - provided by Robin! ;)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtExoYtuGYz ... BiNWFlZA==
Thanks, Nick.

Dayem. Spydiearch’s image now has me interested.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:38 pm
Thanks, Robin

BTW, my comment about photographing prototypes was not aimed at you, nor was it a criticism. I was trying confirm that awards are Spyderco’s new way of revealing what’s coming. Seems so, with the Military2 last year, and now the Edgerati and PITS2 this year. I sure in for the Military2 and PITS2. I’m too confused by the “racing Shaman”.
Oh no worries, I just don't like to be part of the problem (when there is one), so sharing pictures that shouldn't be shared would annoy me.
But Mushroom comment talking about the fact that these knives are displayed because they won an award does confirm that there is no issue talking about it.

By the way, congrats to Sal for his new design getting an award and for a (I hope) future collaboration with Mike Read aka PITS :grin-smiling-eyes

PS: Thanks for providing the source, I tried to find it but on facebook groups they tend to overshare, it's hard to find who did what !

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like this. Some old school Spyderco quirkiness. I wonder if the blade stock is gonna be thinner than the standard shaman?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

looks like it might be a button lock. i see comp lock design, but no cut out for lock access.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

OK, OK. I’m in. Well done, yet again, Spyderco. I see there is no end to my seduction.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Robin,

Yes, Photographs re not permitted at the prototype case at our booth. The pictures shown were taken at the Awards case, and not the prototype case at our booth.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm surprised to see the PITS2 in M398! And what an interesting blade shape. At first my eye saw a leaf blade with something covering the tip....ha ha, wrong!

It's a Wharnleaffe!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Both are super interesting to me and definitely seem worthy of the awards.
The machining of the “Edgerati” looks really clean, the blade has a straight spine and is full flat ground. Maybe the only knife with so many cutouts that I have have ever been seriously interested in. It’s doesn’t look flimsy to me. I bet it would be simple to clean out actually.

The PITS2 is equally interesting. The mechanism looks really robust and the blade is very nice too. It looks like pretty good geometry.
Based on the reflection it also has an interesting new pocket clip.
I really want it.

I just thought of some cool mods you could do with the Edgerati’s handle too.

Congrats on the awards!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I'd love to see the handle anodized blue like the KnifeJoy exlcusive Spydiechef. When the Edgerati is closed we'd see the contrast between the satin blade and anodized scales. :star-struck
- Richard
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Like it! Style and also the ffg probably both thinner blade and pointier tip (than the original Shaman).
But I am pretty sure that it will come with a more "conventional" handle too ?

Then: Call me silly, but at first glance I can´t really see how to conveniently operate the comp.lock? I am sure I am missing something, perhaps someone can enlighten me?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

Both interesting! Glad to see new designs! Congrats on the awards, Sal and Spyderco!