Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by Doc Dan »

I think that a better way to look at it is that the Millie 2 is a Military but Spyderco used some things that they learned in designing the Paramilitary. Of course, I can always be wrong, it's just what I think. I do know I prefer the Military choil to that of the Paramilitary.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Like I said it's one thing to say the Military 2 draws inspiration from Para 2 design cues. That much is obvious.

It's another to tell Sal he named his knife wrong. Not sure why that's controversial here. Normally you guys are more respectful towards him.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:42 am
Like I said it's one thing to say the Military 2 draws inspiration from Para 2 design cues. That much is obvious.

It's another to tell Sal he named his knife wrong. Not sure why that's controversial here. Normally you guys are more respectful towards him.

I think you and Mushroom are the only ones offended by this and it really seems to me are the ones making this into more than it is. I've got an equal lack of give-a-crap for what me or anyone else calls it as I do anyone who cares what I call it.

This is the stupidest thing I've seen debated on this forum. It truly does not matter either way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I just think it's a bizarre reaction. I think I've been here since 2008 or so, and I can't remember anyone ever trying to say a knife is named wrong, and it should be called something else. If you think it's stupid when I point that out, I can live with that. I see things here I think are dumb, but shiny footprints and all. I just move on to the next thread.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:55 am
I just think it's a bizarre reaction. I think I've been here since 2008 or so, and I can't remember anyone ever trying to say a knife is named wrong, and it should be called something else. If you think it's stupid when I point that out, I can live with that. I see things here I think are dumb, but shiny footprints and all. I just move on to the next thread.

Probably could do that too when people don't like the name. And I do agree it's a weird reaction, even though I've said literally the same exact thing, I do see it as what would be a PM2XL, but after all a Military is a Paramilitary XL so that's not at all a wrong thing to call it.

Military 2 🟰 Paramilitary 2 XL

It's technically the exact same thing. The Military 2 IS a bigger XL version of a Para 2, just the same as a Para 2 is now a smaller version of a Military 2. It's like verbal kung fu.
~David
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Some people more hung up on this point than my 4wheeler in deep mud ! 😂

I’m relatively new to here but this is the silliest thing I’ve seen here yet. Yes David you make a very good point: the Millie 1 is essentially a scaled up pm2 (or vice versa) so why wouldn’t the military2 be the same ?! Just cause it now has the same lock as the actual pm2; it’s still a separate knife!

Like the native 5 and the native chief are basically scaled up or down versions of each other, yet they’re totally different knives. Both have native in their name though, same as (gasp) the military2 and the Paramilitary2.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well what's really happening here is they made the same or similar changes to the Military to make a Military 2 as they did with the Paramilitary to make the Para 2. The funniest part about this is nobody would think twice if you called a Military 1 a Paramilitary XL because it literally is that. I never dreamed any of this was disrespectful but I guess I'm just crass. It's not like anyone is calling up Sal and blasted him over the phone about how wrong his naming is. People are just passionate about what they love, it's a much smaller issue when you see it that way.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

But I will say this, I'm gonna buy one and have it engraved with "I'm a Military 2 but I identify as a Para 2 XL" and I'm gonna pee my pants laughing every time I open the blade.
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:50 am
vivi wrote:

I think you and Mushroom are the only ones offended by this and it really seems to me are the ones making this into more than it is. I've got an equal lack of give-a-crap for what me or anyone else calls it as I do anyone who cares what I call it.

This is the stupidest thing I've seen debated on this forum. It truly does not matter either way.
Hello Pot, meet kettle! - Don't bring me into it, if you don't want me in it.

I’ve said, just as much as you Evil D, that I could not care less what anyone, personally, wants to call this knife. It’s genuinely laughable that you assume I’m offended by that.

The fact of the matter is, it’s a “Military 2” according to Spyderco. That really should be easy to understand.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:23 am
Evil D wrote:
vivi wrote:

I’ve said, just as much as you Evil D, that I could not care less what anyone, personally, wants to call this knife. It’s genuinely laughable that you assume I’m offended by that.

The fact of the matter is, it’s a “Military 2” according to Spyderco. That really should be easy to understand.

Right it's a matter of not understanding, we're just too dumb to get it.

Oh wait let me put that in a tone you can relate to

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

To be fair maybe I'm misremembering who else it was that got all pissy about it, maybe it was you maybe not. I don't honestly care enough to search for it.
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:29 am
Mushroom wrote:
Evil D wrote:
vivi wrote:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

To be fair maybe I'm misremembering who else it was that got all pissy about it, maybe it was you maybe not. I don't honestly care enough to search for it.
You’re acting like a child.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:38 am
Evil D wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Evil D wrote:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You're right, I mean YOU would never reply to anyone like this. Surely not.

🤣
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:45 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:38 am
Evil D wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You're right, I mean YOU would never reply to anyone like this. Surely not.

🤣
Dude… what is going on right now?

This is even more out of the ordinary than debating about the Military 2 name.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:49 am

Ok ya know what, I'll tell ya.

You and Vivi both have been getting under my skin in the last few months. Maybe it was only a couple posts, like I said I don't even care enough to search and sift through it but you at least are always either shitting on ideas or making smartass comments. People may be naive to your 🤣 but you're telling them what they posted is stupid without actually saying it. I guess today I'm just having a hard time scrolling past it all. You're one of maybe 5 people in 13 years that I've put on ignore but I think maybe it's time I put myself there. You can't change the people around you, but you can change the people around you.
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

For those interested, Spyderco was selling the Knife in question at blade show. It has been thinned out a bit (not as tall in parts of the handle). They also kept the incredible negative blade angle. I had my St. Nick's Military on me to compare.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:24 pm
For those interested, Spyderco was selling the Knife in question at blade show. It has been thinned out a bit (not as tall in parts of the handle). They also kept the incredible negative blade angle. I had my St. Nick's Military on me to compare.
Did you do it ? Please Jeff tell me you had no self control and came back with one ! :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:56 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:49 am

Ok ya know what, I'll tell ya.

You and Vivi both have been getting under my skin in the last few months. Maybe it was only a couple posts, like I said I don't even care enough to search and sift through it but you at least are always either shitting on ideas or making smartass comments. People may be naive to your 🤣 but you're telling them what they posted is stupid without actually saying it. I guess today I'm just having a hard time scrolling past it all. You're one of maybe 5 people in 13 years that I've put on ignore but I think maybe it's time I put myself there. You can't change the people around you, but you can change the people around you.
I had a feeling it was just something personal about me. Probably best that we don’t turn this into a soap opera though. We should bring it back to discussing the Military 2.

My refusal to protest the Military 2 name and call it a “PM2XL” should not be mistaken for me not understanding why some people want to call it that - I get it, that’s what it basically is and it’s what the Military Model always has been in relation to the Paramilitary. I just don’t, personally, feel the need to call it that for the same reason I don't feel the need to call the Native Chief, the Native 5 XL. That’s just me though, I’m unaffected by what others want to call it.

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:33 pm
JSumm wrote:
Did you do it ? Please Jeff tell me you had no self control and came back with one ! :winking-tongue
Hopefully! I really want to see some comparison photos. Sounds like they sold a bunch at the show though, so I’m sure some comparison photos will pop up soon enough.

:respect :bug-white-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
JSumm wrote:
I did not. I bought a rather pricey "other". I was with another forum member and he snagged the last one they had, so maybe after some time with it he can give us some thoughts.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:52 pm
Ramonade wrote:
JSumm wrote:
I did not. I bought a rather pricey "other". I was with another forum member and he snagged the last one they had, so maybe after some time with it he can give us some thoughts.
I was focused on my own obsession, I'm sure you chose well ! I'm looking forward to reading people's experience on the Military 2 :grin-smiling-eyes
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I think the Military 2 feels like a PM2 on growth hormones.
And i think they made a military 2 because we have been asking for a military with a compression lock for years and a four way clip. They made one.
Now we have two models. If the military 2 sells well they will probably retire the Military one ( or keep him in the inventory for years in very low production) . That sadly is how the story goes. If you like the Military 1 buy a lifetime supply of them. Or the Military 2 becomes a complete flop and Spyderco decides to retire the new offspring due to bad sales and continues to sell the M1 in it's original configuration.
Remember that we basically have almost nothing to say about why what model is named or what decisions are made why. I handled the M2 and decided i liked it. I will try to buy the plain vanilla one when they hit Europe .
Lets try to stay calm and not make a fight about who said what when. I know seeing your perfect knife beeing replaced with something else is difficult but it's still a question whether it will ever happen. The forum has been a civilised place for a long time and Apparently this new Military stirrs up a lot of emotions.
Let's try to keep our cool head.