Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Foehammer

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by Foehammer »

I emailed blades Canada and asked if they have any plans to stock these; they said that they have a batch on order but don’t know the eta. It’s also not an option to put a deposit and pre/order. So for Canadians interested, best option they said is to monitor the latest arrivals page on their website.

I always wanted a Military1 (and may still get one) but man does this knife look perfect for me. The pm2 can be a bit small in the usable blade length department for me sometimes, this should be perfect.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Im pretty sure I know of at least 3-4 variations that have been directly named or implied, but I’m being kinda vague because I feel weird speculating about things that haven’t been made known “officially”.

I feel the same way about BBB’s collaboration knife and that blurry photo of it from the Spyderbyte.
It’s like a teaser, but it’s easy to over analyze.

Maybe this is due to my “background” or “involvement” in the scientific community. I’m just an enthusiast myself, but I often have access to new research and and see lots of speculation about teased discoveries in paleontology circles. Sometimes things get out and are talked about before authors would have liked or even while a study is still a preprint.
Stuff like embargoes are common, but sometimes aren’t honored or are unintentionally undermined.
Preliminary research is presented at academic meetings or some public venue (equivalent to trade Shows), but authors sometimes request details to be kept secret and don’t want any pictures to be taken or their talks recorded.
It seems like Spyderco does something similar at shows.

Often stuff that we know to expect isn’t properly published for many years. If you think the lag between knife reveals and the product shipping tests your patience, the amount of time it can take for some relatively significant scientific discoveries to be published would drive you crazy. Sometimes things don’t get a proper look and sit in museums for decades to centuries.

A personal example of a discovery that I’ve been following closely for a while, is a pair of incredibly preserved dinosaurs found in Montana.
They were discovered and excavated in 2006, when I was about 4 years old, made public and became known to me around 2013, remained in limbo for a number of years due to various circumstances, we’re acquired by a museum in 2020, and now in 2023 a new building and exhibit is under construction to house and display the fossils as research is being conducted. I think the new building is due to be complete by the end of the year, but research will likely be published later and continually for many years into the future. Some big questions about those dinosaur specimens may not be answered for a long time.

Sorry, this is not really all that relevant, but my experiences like this definitely affect the way I view other things.
Some people even argue over the name of the dinosaur specimens just like people have with the Military 2 name.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:26 pm
Im pretty sure I know of at least 3-4 variations that have been directly named or implied, but I’m being kinda vague because I feel weird speculating about things that haven’t been made known “officially”.

I feel the same way about BBB’s collaboration knife and that blurry photo of it from the Spyderbyte.
It’s like a teaser, but it’s easy to over analyze.

Maybe this is due to my “background” or “involvement” in the scientific community. I’m just an enthusiast myself, but I often have access to new research and and see lots of speculation about teased discoveries in paleontology circles. Sometimes things get out and are talked about before authors would have liked or even while a study is still a preprint.
Stuff like embargoes are common, but sometimes aren’t honored or are unintentionally undermined.
Preliminary research is presented at academic meetings or some public venue (equivalent to trade Shows), but authors sometimes request details to be kept secret and don’t want any pictures to be taken or their talks recorded.
It seems like Spyderco does something similar at shows.

Often stuff that we know to expect isn’t properly published for many years. If you think the lag between knife reveals and the product shipping tests your patience, the amount of time it can take for some relatively significant scientific discoveries to be published would drive you crazy. Sometimes things don’t get a proper look and sit in museums for decades to centuries.

A personal example of a discovery that I’ve been following closely for a while, is a pair of incredibly preserved dinosaurs found in Montana.
They were discovered and excavated in 2006, when I was about 4 years old, made public and became known to me around 2013, remained in limbo for a number of years due to various circumstances, we’re acquired by a museum in 2020, and now in 2023 a new building and exhibit is under construction to house and display the fossils as research is being conducted. I think the new building is due to be complete by the end of the year, but research will likely be published later and continually for many years into the future. Some big questions about those dinosaur specimens may not be answered for a long time.

Sorry, this is not really all that relevant, but my experiences like this definitely affect the way I view other things.
Some people even argue over the name of the dinosaur specimens just like people have with the Military 2 name.
still off topic but ur point is synonymous with the music business too. submit a finished project to a label and depending on a ton of factors you could be looking at a release date in 2 or 3 months all the way to TBDs. imagine a spydie that u designed and is definitely going to be produced and released so u have talked about it and even shown it to ppl and months after u've sent in the final design there's still no official or even ballpark date of it's release.

this among other reasons is y so many musical artists r going independent. these days it's literally easier and more cost effective to find a publisher/distributor to distribute the album or single or wutever and do the promotion urself. with 10,000 (probably more) different social media platforms it's incredibly easy (altho time consuming).
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems like a little suspense never hurts sales either, the longer a model is anticipated the stronger the desire for it seems to brew. This particular model has probably been brewing for 10+ years at least in speculation and rumor, or at least since the Para 2 came out and people started asking if the Military was next for an update. You definitely drive sales more with suspense than with surprise.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Military2 certainly will have at least a few things going for it.

• It gives people the Compression Lock for those who wanted it.
  • The Satin Blade version of the Military2 has a street price which is $42 less than the Satin Blade version of the Military.
  • The ability to carry it tip up.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:22 am
Seems like a little suspense never hurts sales either, the longer a model is anticipated the stronger the desire for it seems to brew. This particular model has probably been brewing for 10+ years at least in speculation and rumor, or at least since the Para 2 came out and people started asking if the Military was next for an update. You definitely drive sales more with suspense than with surprise.
But it's possible to overdo the hype-up as well. Though I'm not there yet ^^
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

horzuff wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:43 am
Evil D wrote:

People seem to use "hype" as a way of saying something isn't as good as it was made out to be, like with MagnaCut for example which has more than proved itself IMO. I think the Military 2 will be the same for all but those who just can't live with the lock change, but I think the Military design in general will gain more followers than it loses because of it.
~David
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I didn't mean it in this way, just that if the "tease" part is too long, one might loose the "enthusiasm" by the time it's finally released, so to speak ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

horzuff wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:46 am
I didn't mean it in this way, just that if the "tease" part is too long, one might loose the "enthusiasm" by the time it's finally released, so to speak ;)

Yeah I think there should be a concern that people will lose interest and that money burning in their pockets will get spent on on something else. I know that's already happened with MagnaCut.
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

magnawhat?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

for real though... i'm still really excited about magnacut. i hope i can buy it in a manix soon. more to the topic, i'd be happy to buy a magnacut military 2 as well. i think that would be a really great knife and, again, it wouldn't have to be a full salt... give me stainless liners and a magnacut blade and i'll be more than happy.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I don't mean to go off topic but I really wish they would update the Manix xl like they have the military
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:09 pm
I don't mean to go off topic but I really wish they would update the Manix xl like they have the military
What updates do they need to do to the Manix XL?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

My ideal Military 2 would be BD1N or LC200N in linerless aluminum scales like a those PM2s.

It would be lighter like a lightweight, potentially less money (the PM2s were good deals imo), and very corrosion resistant.

I think the texture of the aluminum could be more similar to what we saw on the Salt PM2 at Amsterdam, rather than the aluminum PM2s that apparently are pretty abrasive on pockets.

I’m really dreaming here!

I’m still waiting for the right MagnaCut model.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:22 am
horzuff wrote:
Evil D wrote:

People seem to use "hype" as a way of saying something isn't as good as it was made out to be, like with MagnaCut for example which has more than proved itself IMO. I think the Military 2 will be the same for all but those who just can't live with the lock change, but I think the Military design in general will gain more followers than it loses because of it.
Is it fair to say the original military was different enough to be its own separate beast and now the new military 2 is basically just a larger paramilitary 2?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

A little bird told me , Military2 sold out at BLADE Show today . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TomahawkT10 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:47 pm
Evil D wrote:
horzuff wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Is it fair to say the original military was different enough to be its own separate beast and now the new military 2 is basically just a larger paramilitary 2?

Well, some of us have dared to say this and it brought the wrath of others so be careful what you say 🤫
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Also if any of you have gotten a printed copy of the latest reveal catalog, it has the Military 2 on the cover and it's very very close to being actual size, close enough to lay a Military 1 on top and compare them.
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Did anybody watch the Knife Center video? Eric was saying something about a groove being cut into the tang area for the detent ball. So like a detest ramp? Interested to see some pics when it comes out.

https://youtu.be/9MfEHFbvxLs
TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:18 am
TomahawkT10 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:47 pm
Evil D wrote:
horzuff wrote:

Well, some of us have dared to say this and it brought the wrath of others so be careful what you say 🤫
Yes I can imagine that happening, but I’m open to having my mind changed… I would also add, my main issue once you go larger than a PM2 is you start to enter “pocket sword” territory or the fact a fixed blade would just be a better choice for the job… I think this is the same reason why I have looked at the subvert a few times now and not bought it… Size is a funny thing though as when I first got the shaman I thought it was very large and now it looks normal to me… the manix xl I recently got still feels very large though. Seems like it’s mainly aimed at people with larger hands though... Any reason the military 2 would be better than the manix 2 XL? I think the ball lock is very good and the handle ergos on the Manix XL… Military 2 is £100 more expensive in the U.K than a manix XL and I can’t work out why apart from it being the latest release…