River's Edge Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dull&blunt

Re: River's Edge Exclusive

Post by dull&blunt »

I’ll probably bite on one of these. Probably going with DLC because my other Para 3 is a satin Rex 45. But then again, a nice patina is cool.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

So, newb question. What's the attraction of 10V? Is it Florida humidity approved? Thx...
- Richard
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

riclaw wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:00 pm
So, newb question. What's the attraction of 10V? Is it Florida humidity approved? Thx...
Define approved? Will it rust to oblivion? Likely not. Will it corrode over time. Likely yes depending on how you live, indoors in A/C or full time outside. DLC would help but probably not completely. I'd say Magnacut is a much better choice or something Stainless. Alternative would be to disassemble and treat all metal parts with a few coats of Eezox allowing it to dry/evaporate between coats. This is actually pretty amazing and almost negates the need for stainless steel in most applications.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:52 pm
riclaw wrote:
Define approved? Will it rust to oblivion? Likely not. Will it corrode over time. Likely yes depending on how you live, indoors in A/C or full time outside. DLC would help but probably not completely. I'd say Magnacut is a much better choice or something Stainless. Alternative would be to disassemble and treat all metal parts with a few coats of Eezox allowing it to dry/evaporate between coats. This is actually pretty amazing and almost negates the need for stainless steel in most applications.
Thanks for the response and recommendation! I've been checking out this video by Knife Steel Nerds comparing 10V and K390. A lot of it's over my head, but still pretty enjoyable.
- Richard
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Larrin wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:11 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:03 am
Ehhhhi I liked the green ones, but then so did everyone else. I don’t much care for their YouTube presence. I’m good on this one.
I haven’t been watching. What is so bad about their YouTube?
To be fair, I haven’t watched their channel for a few months, but my experience is that it’s kind of like the blind leading the blind. For similar channels, from similar businesses, David C. Andersen at Knife Center and the new guy at BHQ both seem to be much more well-informed.

Anecdote time: when I was selling knives, I took pride in getting to know my product. When I started out, I kind of knew that 440C was good, and that knives made overseas tended to be lower quality, and that was about it. During my two years at the knife store, I learned about particle metallurgy (admittedly, not to the same extent as some of us ;) ), the basics of sharpening, the history of the pocket clip, and more. I ultimately started buying Spydercos because after my first year of geeking out on knives, I felt that Spyderco had the best product in the price range I was interested in. I still think so today.

Now, I’m not saying the REC guys don’t take pride in their YouTube work - but I don’t see it, where I do with their competitors.

There’s also some weird drama about the owners and a certain minor YouTube celebrity. I won’t elaborate on that one.

Anyway, back on topic: I hope folks enjoy this knife. I sure enjoy my K390 Para 3.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

riclaw wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:41 pm
riclaw wrote:
Thanks for the response and recommendation! I've been checking out this video by Knife Steel Nerds comparing 10V and K390. A lot of it's over my head, but still pretty enjoyable.
I actually see little reason to go for this unless you just like the design and color. To me I'd rather have 2 of the Para 3 LW in BD1N than this one even though I like the color. There's just not as big a difference in steel performance in real life that you will actually be able to distinguish and anything you may could easily be a product of other influences (sharpening, cutting materials, technique, geometry at the edge). BD1N is a very solid choice for the money and I would like it to become more of a fixture as it's very well rounded. SPY27 may also be a good choice there but I've no experience with it.
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

riclaw wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:41 pm
riclaw wrote:
Traditional.Sharpening makes some good points. But it should be mentioned that 10V is a well rounded steel when corrosion resistance is not a huge issue. Plus it's been awhile since Spyderco produced any 10V models. Decent impact resistance, great edge retention, and high hardness are attributes which grab a steel nerd's attention, and 10V has all of those. But you can find those same attributes in other Spyderco regular production steels like K390, Cru-wear, or M4. So this is not a 'must have' knife, but I'm sure you can understand why some people might be excited. And I will say this: I doubt you would regret buying one if you're looking to buy a new knife (assuming you like the Para 3). The DLC coating will help with corrosion issues as long as you clean it after use.
sal

Post by sal »

K390 is one of the steels that Spyderco introduced to the production knife industry. From the first time I saw the chemistry, we had to; convince the foundry to make some for us, make a Mule and test it, get more made, work with some of our off shore makers to learn how to work with it, bring it into the market. The rest is history, but the initial effort took years. We are appreciative to all involved to be able to bring this to you, and we especially appreciate Larrin who brings us easy to understand information that we steel junky's seek.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

It’s one of the things that makes Spyderco special,, always looking for and pushing the limit of steel. Plus amazing customer service…. I for one and very excited for this PM3 in 10V. I am just going to hold out for a satin ones, with any luck I can get one when ever they put them up for sale.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

We know you want one of these with a satin finish, you've mentioned it 3 times in this thread already :rofl
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:30 pm
We know you want one of these with a satin finish, you've mentioned it 3 times in this thread already :rofl
😅😂 glad I’m not the only one who noticed that!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

That’s funny, I did not realize it, sorry. Guess I am just excited about this one.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:06 pm
It’s one of the things that makes Spyderco special,, always looking for and pushing the limit of steel. Plus amazing customer service…. I for one and very excited for this PM3 in 10V. I am just going to hold out for a satin ones, with any luck I can get one when ever they put them up for sale.
I say go for it , and enjoy . Let us us know your opinion and pics after you have had it for a while . Lot’s of opinions, but at the end of the day it’s what you want that matters . If it had been a Manix model I would have jumped on the DLC . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:15 pm
That’s funny, I did not realize it, sorry. Guess I am just excited about this one.

Don’t be sorry! It’s just funny is all 😅, no bad vibes here!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Kind of silly to see these going for $250-300 over on the Knife Exchange for those who snagged one (or more?) at Blade Show :hand-over-mouth. Looks like the satin one (which I believe was listed at $250) has sold.

Never had, nor held a Para 3, but this one has me most tempted. I'll be awaiting the satin drop (and pricing) to see if that temptation is worth the reservation of funds.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Hehehehe........ 🕷 🕸 🕷 🕸 🕷 🕸 🕷 🕸
Ya gotta ❤️ it!! 😃
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:38 pm
Hehehehe........ 🕷 🕸 🕷 🕸 🕷 🕸 🕷 🕸
Ya gotta ❤️ it!! 😃
https://i.postimg.cc/cLqCyLTw/Screensho ... cebook.jpg
:rofl That’s too funny!
-Nick :bug-red
kerkit11

Post by kerkit11 »

Last weekend, I picked up the DLC para3 at blade show. I have a couple of knives from another maker with 10v, I'm excited to try this steel in a Spyderco model. Independent of comparisons based on edge retention or toughness, I've found this steel to be straight forward to sharpen and easy to maintain at a keen edge. Plus, I like the color scheme.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear kerkit11:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wow, 10 minutes later and the knife is still available. Must have had quite a stock with this exclusive.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet