Joy over function

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: Joy over function

Post by aicolainen »

For me it was going to be the Techno 2, but there’s not enough excess joy to justify the bulk. I struggle to sell it, as I had it on my radar for so long, way before it was revealed, hoping there would be a Spyderco version as soon as I learned about the Mouse 2.

I guess the KC DF2 in HAP40 and pakkawood is one that is in that territory and actually gets used. I don’t have any better reason to pick it over its FRN brethren than wanting to carry something a bit more fancy.

It’s also why I want to see another sprint of the Rookie. Though it may not be a fancy knife to most, to me it seems like a good enough balance of joy and practical to actually get pocket time. Joy in that it would allow me to enjoy a classic design. It doesn’t seem to sacrifice a lot of function as it’s a handy size and quite utilitarian design, but it doesn’t add anything I don’t already have except weight and more expenses, so certainly some joy over function going on.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Old photo, theres something about this knife that really compels me
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The Police 4 in K390 is probably my best example of a "joy over function" knife. I have no real use for a folder that big, and really only carry it around my place once in a while. But it never fails to bring a smile to my face when I use it.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I don’t think I’ve ever done joy over function with a Spyderco knife purchase. For me, the function is what brings the joy! Therefore, the joy over function relationship isn’t really possible for me.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

For me, functional beauty is a Spyderco attribute. To me, joy over function is represented by things like stag and handles made of other natural materials like snakewood, desert ironwood, etc.
ZenL

Post by ZenL »

I think my blue nishijin glass Cricket and Lil Lum are tied for the "I'll never carry but won't sell" category. After that, it would be the Introvert and Jot Singh Khalsa (sprint re-run) tied for "too goofy to sell".
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear ZenL:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

It's a very recent acquisition, but I already feel comfortable saying the Mamba is the most "joy over function" Spyderco. Between the lockbar access/tension and the blade grind, I really don't see myself using this knife.

It's also one of the most well-made knives I've ever handled, at any price point.

Edit: Since this thread got bumped and I just happen to have it in my pocket today, might as well add a pic:

Last edited by Giygas on Wed May 31, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Manix 2 and PITS give me both joy and function. I tend to avoid knives that are more fun than useful, but not always. I think the Techno 1, Techno 2 and the Sub-hilt are my most obvious exceptions.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

If it’s a Spyderco, chances are better than not it will bring me joy. If it’s a Spyderco, I trust it to function as a knife regardless of the design. I haven’t been let down yet. :bug-red

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:11 am
The Manix 2 and PITS give me both joy and function. I tend to avoid knives that are more fun than useful, but not always. I think the Techno 1, Techno 2 and the Sub-hilt are my most obvious exceptions.
I like the way you put it, “more fun than useful.” When I think about it that way, I’m actually the opposite and tend to prefer knives that are more fun than useful. Unique designs are often what pique my interest the most.
-Nick :bug-red
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

wheats wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:40 pm
Let’s talk knives you carry out of pure joy even when the functionality doesn’t justify it. My #1 here is the Vrango. Absolutely beautifully constructed, virtually flawless build, and probably smoothest action I own. Admittedly not the most functional for my uses but I’ll carry it anyways just because of the joy it brings. Based on pure function/need, I would carry a Delica every day without hesitation. I do realize that there are plenty of knives that bring both joy and high level function, just focusing here on the ones that you carry purely on joy even when it isn’t the most practical
Bringing back a necro thread for a couple of reasons: I found this thread when looking for peoples' thoughts on the Pattada, which is my personal 'Joy over function' Spyderco. I just can't find anything that other Spydies don't do as well. It opens incredibly easily and is a gorgeous knife that I'll never get rid of, but I only look at it and never use it.

But...I'm quoting your comments about the Vrango, and I have to say that I expect mine to be functional - it was designed by a fly fisherman (Michael Henningsson) to handle one-handed fishing chores, and while it's a beautiful EDC knife, I'm expecting to get some practical use out of it. I'm seeing this knife and my Siren as buddies this Summer.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I know this will be a boring answer but I find joy in function.

My M4 / Micarta Manix XL, blacked out Yojumbo and K390/Pakkawood Police 4 are awesome knives. Fun to use, admire or fidget with. Great performance and looks.

But I love carrying my Pacific Salts. They're light and thin and feel so out of the way until I need them. They impress the **** out of me with their simplicity and pure functionality.

I get more joy from carrying and using them than I did, say, my old Szabo folders. The Szabos are arguably cooler, much more distinctive looking, but carrying them felt burdensome in comparison.
:unicorn
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Vallotton Sub-Hilt & the Tropen. Taichung quality in beautiful designs.

Both bigger than I need most days, but as with all Spyderco knives the form still follows the function. I love heavy knives in hand, so that adds some joy to the carries. Just put the Sub-Hilt away after 4 days for the Siren, which seems so light it could float.
Brian
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't keep knives that are not practical for me to carry and use and I try not to buy them. However, the Pingo would sort of be it. I love the design and carry it because it makes me happy. However, it is not the best slicer. It is far too thick behind the edge for that. Still, I really like the knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

vivi wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:39 pm
I know this will be a boring answer but I find joy in function.

Right on, brother.
As a dirty, filthy, blue collar sort of guy, I derive great pleasure from building, doing, creating, using my hands, using my brain, using my tools. A tool that can't be used is a rock. No, it's lower than a rock. A rock can still be used as a hammer. When the knife in my pocket can be used to strip a wire, carve a piece of plastic, open a letter, and precisely slice my toasted cheese sandwich, it's the best thing ever. Joy is function. Function is joy.

Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

Wandering_About wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:00 pm
The Police 4 in K390 is probably my best example of a "joy over function" knife. I have no real use for a folder that big, and really only carry it around my place once in a while. But it never fails to bring a smile to my face when I use it.
That is my go to outdoors knife. If I’m hunting or backpacking that’s in my pocket.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Probably going to be my K2.

Its way to large to really carry in my area but well it brings me joy when i take it on my trips to the local little forrests.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

My M4 DLC Smock is my guilty pleasure - I literally just own it as it brings me joy. Not an especially out there choice I know, but when literally every other knife I own is used for my day job or a specific task it feels almost extravagant to have a knife I just have because I like it 🤷🏼‍♂️

Non-Spyderco wise it’s got to be my Collector Series Hogue SIG K320 Tanto 🤤 it’s basically an intermediate sized Manix with a tanto blade and CF scales. Do I use it much? No. Would I ever sell it? Also no.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

R100 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:57 pm
For me it's the Hungarian.
Also the Hungarian for me. Handle is beautiful and I love the history of the design but it's not the most utilitarian. I did tumble the scales and bolsters on mine to knock the shine off and give it more of a "working" finish. Little better grip on the scales, too.

Usually I go for an Endura for this size blade but the Hungarian gets occasional use. I've even dressed out and skinned a couple deer with it over the years and imagine it will probably do a couple more in the future. :)

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I want a stovepipe purely because it looks so cool. Definitely pocket jewelry for me