Strops & diamond emulsions or compounds

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Strops & diamond emulsions or compounds

Post by olywa »

I've been using strops for years, generally with the standard green or white compounds. I've got a pretty good handle on when these strops are getting loaded up, and how to clean them when they do.

Last year I decided to try some Venev diamond compound and picked up their chapstick dispensers in both 10 and 20 micron. I also picked up a new Beavercraft double-sided paddle strop with smooth leather on both sides. It's been working well for me, but unlike my rough or smooth strops using green/white compound, I have a hard time determining when and how to clean and/or reapply fresh diamond compound. The Beavercraft leather surface is dark and very smooth so it's hard to get a visual cue as to when it is loaded up. Any tips on when to reapply and how to clean this combo would be most welcome.

I'm also going further down this rabbit hole with some Gunny Juice (1 & 3 micron) headed my way. It never ends...
jmj3esq

Re: Strops & diamond emulsions or compounds

Post by jmj3esq »

I've run into the same problem with diamond emulsions. I have no idea how long the applications last or really how much to use. Watching.
HolySteel

Re: Strops & diamond emulsions or compounds

Post by HolySteel »

I just used 1 micron Gunny Juice for the first time. I stropped a blade, waited over an hour, then stropped another just as successfully. With the Bark River compound I tend to keep stropping without re-applying until the leather looks like it's getting exposed in areas, or my results aren't so great.

But I think I'm now hooked on Gunny Juice - got fantastic results. The first knife I sharpened with all three Spyderco stones, stropped with BR on rough leather, then used Gunny Juice on smooth leather. The second knife was a slightly dull Maxamet blade - just stropped with Gunny Oil, and got very noticeable improvements.