Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HolySteel

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by HolySteel »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:09 pm
HolySteel wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:20 pm
Stas wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:03 pm
I’m planning to pick up CF s90v Military 2 sprint in 2030 :winking-tongue
I'm grabbing the forest green CruCarta Sprint this Fall. But...not canceling my KC waitlist.
Ok excuse my ignorance, but is this a thing?
Haha-just a stupid new guy trying to be part of the conversation. I’ll try again in a year or two when my cred has built up :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:44 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:31 am
But, I sure want to hear more about how the Military2 performs, and particularly how it compares to the original. In other words, what separates the Military2 in the right direction?

The problem with the Military 1 is "satisfaction is the death of desire". If you actually manage to make something perfect, even subjectively so to those who believe it is indeed perfect, they no longer need to buy it because they already have it and it's perfect so why would I need more? And so there goes your profits on that thing. There is a need for improvement or progression or some kind of change even in something that is perfect.

I think if they did nothing else but give it a 4 way clip option, they would have seen sales jump. Changing the lock is a calculated risk, there are a lot of loyalists but it's safe to say the Compression Lock has a solid following so even if we only assume that there's equal popularity for both locks, the change in locks shouldn't hurt sales, and I suspect it'll be quite the opposite. I think the most controversial change may actually be the ergonomics, because to me that really is the defining characteristic of the Military, even less so than the lock design (I know, dare I say it). I am most concerned about how different it might feel in hand.
The “perfect” thing must be quite burdensome to Spyderco’s in-house designers, but, hey, they lured us in, so it’s on them….

But I won’t fault Sal and Eric for going with the comp-lock when it could have been a power- or stop-lock. At least I have the latter ones in other models, and I know the former to be excellent. I am surprised though that the Military2 seems like just a scaled-up PM2. Perhaps the ergos will prove otherwise.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Razor G43

Post by Razor G43 »

I can't wait to get a SE military!
Blades

Post by Blades »

Razor G43 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:06 pm
I can't wait to get a SE military!
Yep! That was my pick from the revel.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Evil D wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:31 am
But, I sure want to hear more about how the Military2 performs, and particularly how it compares to the original. In other words, what separates the Military2 in the right direction?
I hope they keep the Military 1. Imagine all the Military 2 owners years in the future asking for the original model, if only to compare against the standard.

The problem with the Military 1 is "satisfaction is the death of desire". If you actually manage to make something perfect, even subjectively so to those who believe it is indeed perfect, they no longer need to buy it because they already have it and it's perfect so why would I need more? And so there goes your profits on that thing. There is a need for improvement or progression or some kind of change even in something that is perfect.

I think if they did nothing else but give it a 4 way clip option, they would have seen sales jump. Changing the lock is a calculated risk, there are a lot of loyalists but it's safe to say the Compression Lock has a solid following so even if we only assume that there's equal popularity for both locks, the change in locks shouldn't hurt sales, and I suspect it'll be quite the opposite. I think the most controversial change may actually be the ergonomics, because to me that really is the defining characteristic of the Military, even less so than the lock design (I know, dare I say it). I am most concerned about how different it might feel in hand.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Evil D wrote:
Changing the lock is a calculated risk, there are a lot of loyalists but it's safe to say the Compression Lock has a solid following so even if we only assume that there's equal popularity for both locks, the change in locks shouldn't hurt sales, and I suspect it'll be quite the opposite. I think the most controversial change may actually be the ergonomics, because to me that really is the defining characteristic of the Military, even less so than the lock design (I know, dare I say it). I am most concerned about how different it might feel in hand.
I don't have a Military yet, due to lack of funds currently :grin-sweat But yeah, when I get one, I'll definitely try to hold the Military 2 in person before deciding. It looks like it might not fit my hands as well as the original. Of course there's always aftermarket scales though... and I really love compression locks, so that might settle the question regardless of ergonomics.
JackRussell

Post by JackRussell »

Just read the May edition of Spyderco Byte and enjoyed the Military 2 article. However, it didn't say if a left-handed model would be forthcoming. Anybody (that means you Sal) know?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The May 2023 Issue of Spyderco byte has a long section on the upcoming Military2.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JackRussell wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:29 pm
Just read the May edition of Spyderco Byte and enjoyed the Military 2 article. However, it didn't say if a left-handed model would be forthcoming. Anybody (that means you Sal) know?
As a lefty I would not expect one for quite some time . I have the first lefty run Military and the PM2 . If you check Spydiewiki of both models both took years to go into production. So it could be a while and would not expect one with the Military 2 release . Sorry , I would like a lefty myself . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I'm curious to see how the Millie2 feels in hand. I have a love/hate thing with the compression lock. Don't feel it at all in the Shaman. HUGE hotspot in my palm in the Caribbean.

Time will tell..
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Hopefully the recent Byte means we're getting closer to the actual release :pleading . Been a while since I've last been so excited for a Spydie ^^
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

horzuff wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:51 pm
Hopefully the recent Byte means we're getting closer to the actual release :pleading . Been a while since I've last been so excited for a Spydie ^^

Usually, it’s a very good indication that the new knife is very close to release once it appears in the byte. It doesn’t mean all 8 new Military2 production models. I’m guessing we’ll see the first one below first.

1. Military2 CPM-S30V Satin Blade PlainEdge Black G-10 C36GP2 (USA) - Reveal 12 (JAN 2023)
  2. Military2 CPM-S30V Satin Blade ComboEdge Black G-10 C36GPS2 (USA) - Reveal 13 (MAY 2023)
  3. Military2 CPM-S30V Satin Blade SpyderEdge Black G-10 C36GS2 (USA) - Reveal 13 (MAY 2023)
  4. Military2 CPM-S30V Black DLC Blade PlainEdge Black G-10 C36GPBK2 (USA) - Reveal 13 (MAY 2023)
  5. Military2 CPM-S30V Black DLC Blade ComboEdge Black G-10 C36GPSBK2 (USA) - Reveal 13 (MAY 2023)
  6. Military2 CPM-S30V Black DLC Blade SpyderEdge Black G-10 C36GSBK2 (USA) - Reveal 13 (MAY 2023)
  7. Military2 CPM-S30V Satin Blade PlainEdge Digital Camo G-10 C36GPCMO2 (USA) - Reveal 13 (MAY 2023)
  8. Military2 CPM-S30V Black DLC Blade PlainEdge Digital Camo G-10 C36GPCMOBK2 (USA) - Reveal 13 (MAY 2023)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Justintoxicated

Post by Justintoxicated »

Too bad it's not in another steel like Spy27, seems like a missed oportunity.
I'll pick one up eventually, but might wait for something other than S30V, not that there is really anything wrong with S30V.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hope the DLC versions come out before too long. I'm sure satin will be first but I'm gonna hold out for the extra corrosion resistance.
:unicorn
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Nice to see CPM S30v get some love in the Byte.

The Lefty version would be nice but I have come to like the Righty compression lock just fine. I’ll buy a Lefty to support the effort though, if they make one.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

RamZar wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:38 pm
The May 2023 Issue of Spyderco byte has a long section on the upcoming Military2.
That was a great read, thanks Ramzar.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

it's obvious they still have plenty of love for S30V. And for good reason IMO. Consistent, with great performance across the board.

They're also very confident in this model. Coming right out the gate with 8! variations.
:unicorn
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I could be misremembering, but I don’t think Eric kept it much of a secret in various interviews that there will be more than what has been revealed.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:13 am
I could be misremembering, but I don’t think Eric kept it much of a secret in various interviews that there will be more than what has been revealed.

I've speculated a lot over the years on this forum, but I think I can say with absolutely certainty that there are either sprints and/or exclusives of the Military 2 either in planning or in production already. More likely in planning or in the production cue, but without a doubt they are coming. The only questions are what and when. We know that oftentimes these models can be a year or more in the making, for example my 4V Military was nearly a year old when I finally got it in my hands, but we also know that the Military 2 was far enough into production this time last year for Eric to have a production sample to show at last year's Blade Show, so who knows what they've cooked up in the last year. I'd suspect some major bomb drops in the coming months.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:17 pm
it's obvious they still have plenty of love for S30V. And for good reason IMO. Consistent, with great performance across the board.
I think you're right. I'm guilty of dismissing S30V for quite some time simply for being so common. In recent times I've realized that I have no business acting as a knife snob. My use simply doesn't qualify. And as I've relaxed my imaginary steel requirements, I've found S30V to be more than good enough. It may be bland, but as they say in my line of work; boring is good.