leafjumper v delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hobbyist

leafjumper v delica

Post by hobbyist »

What’s the main difference? They seem pretty similar to me.
Wartstein

Re: leafjumper v delica

Post by Wartstein »

hobbyist wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:23 pm
... They seem pretty similar to me.

Honestly?

To me they are really different knives in several aspects:

- SIZE:
The Leaf Jumper is a lot bigger: In edge length (roughly 10% more), in weight (roughly 20 % more), and in width/footprint

- ERGOS:
Really different concepts:
The Delica has that finger grooves that some like (I do), but some feel they get in the way of a good grip.
It also has a narrow like in "not tall" handle.
The Leaf Jumper on the other hand has a very neutral plus more handfilling handle. Probably a design more people can agree on ergowise

- HANDLE FORWARD VS RICASSO
Obvious difference. The LJ places the hand really close to the edge, the pronounced exposed Delica ricasso hinders that a bit - unless one is like me and likes to choke up on the ricasso

- EDGE CURVE
The Leaf Jumper has, well, a leaf blade with a pronounced continuous curve in the edge.
The Delica tends more towards a straight wharnie like edge (not totally of course) with not much belly
Both approaches have their pros and cons, but are certainly different.
-
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

when the leafjumper and rockjumper came out, i honestly thought it was the end of the delica. i'm one of those that thinks the delica ergos are not as good as they could be because the first bump falls right under my middle finger. what i failed to realize until i wanted something in that size range is that the delicate's smaller footprint in pocket would make it more desirable to me in the end.

i chose a delica wharncliffe over a rockjumper for a few reasons. 1. the delica is available in better steels. 2. the delica has the slightly smaller footprint. 3. the delica is under 3" in blade while the rockjumper is just over 3" and i needed to stay under that line. 4. i realized that for the type of cutting i would do with a knife this size, i wouldn't be as likely to be bearing down hard enough for the ergos to bother me. 5. the delica has aftermarket upgrade options that were important to me and the rockjumper does not. 6. i wanted to try thinner blade stock, which the delica has.

i still think that the ergos are better for the rockjumper and leafjumper. i plan on buying that k390 leafjumper when it's released and i think it will make an outstanding edc knife. if it weren't for the reasons listed above, i would've chosen the jumper series over the delica hands down.

all that to say, they are fairly similar, but they have some very important minor differences that can make or break a model for some people. i've really learned to appreciate the delica over the past few weeks since i got my wharncliffe, and i think the jumpers are a brilliant design by sal that will hopefully catch on and get the attention they deserve. either choice is a good one though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:08 am

all that to say, they are fairly similar, but they have some very important minor differences that can make or break a model for some people....

Completely respect your opinion of course, but as my first post here already makes clear: I have to disagree.

I only had the Rock-, not the Leafjumper, but in pocket and hand it felt much more like a Manix LW, a Stretch or a Tenacious to than like a Delica (talking footprint, not construction of course)

As a matter of fact, the Leafjumper has the same closed length as a Tenacious or a Stretch 1 (113 mm) and is in between a Manix LW (118mm) and a Delica (108 mm) in closed size length.
But imo a lot closer to Manix LW or Endela in overall footprint and weight. For me the Leaf Jumper is roughly in THEIR category, not so much in the Delicas (which is noticeable lighter and has that thinner blade)

Just to me: If the Leafjumper was a substitute for a Seki FRN folder, it would be rather for the Endela than for the Delica.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Here’s a good thread about the Rockjumper with lots of comparisons and discussion.
viewtopic.php?t=87727
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 6:25 am

Referring to my post?

If so, I honestly can´t quite follow you - ? :thinking

In my subjective real life experience and directly referring to the question of this thread the Leaf/Rockjumper platform just IS quite different to a Delica, also, but not only, by its size, and certainly (to me) more different to a Delica than to let´s say an Endela.

No offense, but is something wrong with that (honest question!)?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never had the pleasure of holding a Leaf Jumper. However, I am a Delica fanatic. It is very slender and the blade is thin and not too long. This is my favorite knife by any maker in this size category. I have large, thick hands and a great many knives simply don't fit, but I can get a good grip on a Delica by choking up on the finger guard.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 9:12 am
ladybug93 wrote:

Referring to my post?

In my subjective real life experience and directly referring to the question of this thread the Leaf/Rockjumper platform just IS quite different to a Delica, also, but not only, by its size, and certainly (to me) more different to a Delica than to let´s say an Endela.

I think he is just joking around.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:41 am

But imo a lot closer to Manix LW or Endela in overall footprint and weight. For me the Leaf Jumper is roughly in THEIR category, not so much in the Delicas (which is noticeable lighter and has that thinner blade)
Agree. They feel different in use and when carrying them. Therefore, we all need BOTH a jumper and a delica! :bug-red-white
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

Referring to my post?

yes. it was referring to your post. you quoted me as saying they are fairly similar, but have minor differences that might be important. i also made it clear why i chose the delica due to some of those differences. just because you think an endela is more similar doesn't mean that the delica isn't similar at all. the delica blade length is closer to the rockjumper than the endela blade length. the thickness is the same as the endela though, so maybe it really just depends on which features you prioritize. if you need a 3" knife, for example, the endela isn't even a consideration at all, but the rockjumper and delica are. you could even say the delica and the endura are fairly similar, since they share the same design language, materials, and have very similar ergonomics, and then specify that the endura is quite a bit longer.

the point is, what i said wasn't incorrect, but you felt the need to correct me anyway. i specified differences, despite acknowledging the knives are similar. your post comes across as argumentative just for the sake of arguing. i probably should've just rolled my eyes and scrolled on though.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 9:15 am
I think he is just joking around.
frustrated, but certainly tongue in cheek.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

spydergoat wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:39 am

Agree. They feel different in use and when carrying them. Therefore, we all need BOTH a jumper and a delica! :bug-red-white
Rockjumper, Delica Wharncliffe, Endela Wharncliffe, Leafjumper, standard blade Delica and Endela... all in plain and serrated. That way you're covered for every scenario.

(If we can get more people to buy Rockjumpers maybe we can get a K390 version of it too to match the Leafjumper)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Seems completely different to me; and not Delica similar. But I am a ginormous Delica fan and ever so slightly biased.

I wonder if the Delica was stretched … about 1/4” when closed and about 1/2” when open … if it would go over well? This I would consider similar to the Delica.

I’ll eventually get around to handling a Leafjumper …. But doubtful I will take to it, I had a rockjumper for a while and let it go.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

They seem quite different to me, even considering the Delica Wharncliffe. I suppose there is some similarity in most mid-sized Spyderco backlocks though, depending on how closely one looks.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:42 am
Wartstein wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

Referring to my post?

yes. it was referring to your post. you quoted me as saying they are fairly similar, but have minor differences that might be important. i also made it clear why i chose the delica due to some of those differences. just because you think an endela is more similar doesn't mean that the delica isn't similar at all. the delica blade length is closer to the rockjumper than the endela blade length. the thickness is the same as the endela though, so maybe it really just depends on which features you prioritize. if you need a 3" knife, for example, the endela isn't even a consideration at all, but the rockjumper and delica are. you could even say the delica and the endura are fairly similar, since they share the same design language, materials, and have very similar ergonomics, and then specify that the endura is quite a bit longer.

the point is, what i said wasn't incorrect, but you felt the need to correct me anyway. i specified differences, despite acknowledging the knives are similar. your post comes across as argumentative just for the sake of arguing. i probably should've just rolled my eyes and scrolled on though.

Hey Ladybug,

My honest apologies since I obviously came across in a way I did not intend to!

But also honestly: I still don´t really understand why and how? If you read my post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94947#p1719922:

- I quoted you correctly ("fairly similar but minor important differences") and made literally clear that I completely respect that opinion
- Then, in a thread discussing how much Delica and LeafJumper differ from each other I voiced my different subjective opinion: To me personally and subjectively (and actually in line with the opinions of some others who replied), they feel not fairly similar, but really different. So much, that I feel they are not even in the same size category, but the LJ is rather a "step up" and could be better compared to models like the Endela or Manix LW.
- So in a thread just about THAT you voiced your valid opinion and gave reasons for it, and so did I.
No "correcting" you at all, just a constructive exchange of opinions and reasons on a discussion forum...

If this already offends you, I am honestly not sure how I should have conducted myself so that I could have avoided that.
But I certainly did not mean to offend you at all and most certainly not to correct you, cause your opinion is as valid as mine, no doubt.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I really want to love the Delica, but every time I hold one it just doesn’t fit. I’ve thought about buying the Lynch NW mod scales.

The Rock Jumper, on the other hand, is a slam dunk. I bought the first one I handled immediately: it’s that good.

I do agree with Gernot that the RJ takes up more pocket space - definitely more in league with the 3”+ plus folders.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Definitely give those Lynch NW handles a try. Casey did a remarkable job with this design, and it takes the Delica to a whole 'nuther level. Also effectively adds a working choil to the design.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

olywa wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:12 am
Definitely give those Lynch NW handles a try. Casey did a remarkable job with this design, and it takes the Delica to a whole 'nuther level. Also effectively adds a working choil to the design.

Do you happen to have a pic?
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The differences are clear, it’s how the leaf jumpers specialized function compares to the delicas that’s being concerned, but that’s kind of an individual and subjective area. I held the leaf jumper in store about a month ago, and remember well how phenomenal it felt in hand. The ergos sorta reminded me of the stretch2 but without a choil, definitely a more stout handfilling size than the delica, so one could say the leaf jumper specializes more in outdoor/work knife side of edc folders than the delica. At the end of the day it’s all about functional variety.
:bug-red-white