Whats the next hot piece?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freediver

Re: Whats the next hot piece?

Post by Freediver »

I’m looking forward to the Military 2 and Microjimbo.
Catchadroppimgknife

Post by Catchadroppimgknife »

This ^^^^^

Magnacut UKPK !!!
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

MicroJimbo and Salt PM2

Rex 121 Sage 5 LW if I can manage to score one
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Certainly I agree with everyone who already mentioned the Military 2, and all of the different Sprints and Exclusives it will be sold as.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

The Sprint Subvert has my attention, but it's probably not for everyone.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

For me, the Leaf Jumper or Enuff2 in today’s Reveal fills the bill. I love K390 and will be getting both.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Personally I'm no longer interested in any variation of a mainstream model (PM2, Manix 2, Shaman, etc). I've had my fill of all those. I don't care how good the steel's supposed to be. What I am interested in is a brand new model. Whether it's a new Spyderco design or a collaboration model, I'd like to see something fresh. I still like my PM2s, Para 3s, and Manix 2s but I've been carrying my collaboration knives more. So I'm looking for something to get me excited again
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:17 pm
Personally I'm no longer interested in any variation of a mainstream model (PM2, Manix 2, Shaman, etc). I've had my fill of all those. I don't care how good the steel's supposed to be. What I am interested in is a brand new model. Whether it's a new Spyderco design or a collaboration model, I'd like to see something fresh. I still like my PM2s, Para 3s, and Manix 2s but I've been carrying my collaboration knives more. So I'm looking for something to get me excited again
Ditto
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Maybe more of us land here than we really like to admit? I’ve been kinda bored myself lately too. Grabbing some blades I’ve neglected to carry, only to be excited for a short period of time, then back to the same feeling. But that’s okay I guess, just another good tool that I enjoy using ;)

I’ve done the same thing with bass guitars, pedals, etc.. just like knives or anything else, once you own great ones, there’s just different ones. Ya like what ya like, use em and appreciate them for what they are. Although sometimes that shiny new version MUST be better.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Same. My daily knife needs will never begin to require a super-steel (I rarely actually need to take my knife out of my pocket to begin with), so this seemingly never-ending search for incrementally better steels is overkill from my perspective. I would much rather see new designs in "inferior" steels than the 1000th PM2 variant in the unobtanium of the day.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Fine Swine wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:11 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Same. My daily knife needs will never begin to require a super-steel (I rarely actually need to take my knife out of my pocket to begin with), so this seemingly never-ending search for incrementally better steels is overkill from my perspective. I would much rather see new designs in "inferior" steels than the 1000th PM2 variant in the unobtanium of the day.
I'd rather see high performance then just novel shapes for the sake of shapes.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m all for anything that moves the game forward, whether it’s steel, ergonomics, lock or whatever.

I’m here to support both innovation and the best company for it.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:36 am
Now that the 15v train has come and gone, what will be the next hyped model coming down the pike? Im really hoping the lightweight manix 2 salt in magnacut is out for this summer.....not holding my breath though.
I think the 15v train is still rolling. We're still waiting for the mother of all 15v Spydies the BBB/collab ;) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87161&hilit=BBB+collab
-Turbo
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Military 2 in S90V.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:14 pm
Fine Swine wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:11 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
I'd rather see high performance then just novel shapes for the sake of shapes.
Hi Shawn, high performance steelsl are great if you can make use of it. I've bought almost all of the steels that Spyderco's offered (except 10V and 15V). I liked to check out how they sharpen and cut cardboard etc. Some of them actually got some use when I worked in a warehouse for awhile. Even there it didn't really matter which knife/steel I had on me. They all worked fine for what I was doing. Eventually that job became more administrative and now I don't even work there. My new job is working in my home office doing CAD. The most work my knives see is opening cutting up boxes. I still have and like all my PM2s, Manix 2s etc. I still carry and use them but I also enjoy some of the different models that come out of the Taichung plant. The Sliverax, Mantra, and Paysan are favorites and I'd like to see more of something along those lines. Not like those but different like those are. The shape of that Sliverax is fantastic. For me it's the shape (Grip, negative blade angle, etc) that's high performance. I like how S30V performs just fine. So I don't need the steel to be any more high performance than it already is

I'm curious, what do you use your knives for where high performance can be so beneficial? Not trying to be negative, I'm honestly interested
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cjk

Post by cjk »

elena86 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 1:08 pm
Military 2 in S90V.
Inevitable
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sharp Guy,

I'mn ot Shawn, but...

My truck will get me anywhere I want to go, but sometimes driving higher performance sports car just enhances the driving experience.

Same with "the cut".

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Yesterday, I was celebrating the fact that my cousin moved in with her man.
I was having a knife discussion with a guy about tools and making. I was explaining the principle of the Mule Team and explaining how certain characteristics of 2 steels can be compared when you remove the different geometry that you'd get by buying two different knives in different steels. I talked about heat treats and the fact that I own a knife with which I can even cut a nail without any significant damage to the blade.

Someone that was listening in chimed in and said "Why would you ever need to cut a nail in half with a knife? Is there something wrong with you?" ( :') )
And my answer was similar to what Sal just answered. It enhances the experience.
I also used cars as an analogy but differently :Most people buying cars like a Carrera, Porsche or Lotus in France won't exploit all their performance, but they KNOW they can. Same with automatic watches : "My watch can run 3 days without me moving it or rewinding it!". There's also "I can throw my knife in the sea and leave it here for 2 years, it won't rust :open-grin "

It might be something we find more often with guys, but knowing you can trust a tool to go an excess of 150% of what you expect to do with it is sometimes reinsuring, always fun.

I agree that most people won't "need" 100% of it, but if a steel can handle everything while not being exploited to the maximum by the user, the user can rely on it totally.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Im looking forward to the BBB collab one of these days.
The 15v steel or course, but also the thin geometry it’s supposed to come with. For this reason I’m also looking forward to the high performance delica
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think what BBB said makes sense and is very consistent with his custom knives.
The designs are refined and high performance, but they are basically the same shape as knives that have been used to cut out a living in North America by settlers, trappers, and hunters for many generations.

Having acknowledged that, I do also agree with Sharp Guy that there is a lot of potential for performance and enjoyment in “new” shapes.

While BBB’s customs are traditional shapes, they are still noticeably more refined than your average example of a “trapper” or “trade” knife, in my opinion.

What is most desirable is obviously a matter of personal priorities.

I am also looking forward to Shawn’s knife set to be made in Golden! Among folding knives, I think it will offer great cutting performance by design through a practical shape and high performance materials and geometry.
There aren’t many folding knives out there that are consistent with the BBB custom knife shape, so it will be a fresh profile and feel in hand anyway.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: