What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by VashHash »

M390

Had to check the chicken

:usflag :bug-red
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

CHARCOAL!!!👏👏👏
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Out fishing today. Was not the greatest but at least we didn’t get skunked!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 12:16 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 9:25 pm
REC Lil Native
Aqua Salt

https://i.imgur.com/vaIrE9I.jpg

Oh man, now you're joining Vivi in making me want to try that Aqua Salt handle with your pics... :winking-tongue
Thought I could remain being more "sensible" when it comes to (resisting...) fixed blade purchases than I am with folders... not so sure anymore.. :smirk

... really nice summer-feeling-pic btw...
Here’s another shot of the Aqua Salt that I took yesterday, except with the knife in focus this time. ;)

It’s very comfortable in hand, definitely worth a try.

Thanks for that pic (sparked a lot of reactions here ;)

This is just a handle (and knife) that immediately makes me want to hold and try it.

Not 100% sure if it´d be perfect for me: I come more and more to a point, where I don´t like a too deep groove / a too narrow handle in the place where the index finger normally sits, but a bit more "meat" there. No idea how the Aqua Salt would feel in real life in that regard..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:58 pm

Vivi, now that you came to prefer and bring out the best out of coarse PE: Is there anything the serrated section on that Resilience still does for you? Any small advantage in at least some situations, or would you always rather want it in full (coarse) PE?

Pretty short SE section btw for a combo edge, or is it just the perspective that makes it look like that?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 12:41 am
vivi wrote:

Vivi, now that you came to prefer and bring out the best out of coarse PE: Is there anything the serrated section on that Resilience still does for you? Any small advantage in at least some situations, or would you always rather want it in full (coarse) PE?

Pretty short SE section btw for a combo edge, or is it just the perspective that makes it look like that?
Not really. I carry this one because I like the blacked out hardware and G10 scales better than my satin finished PE blade, but someday I'm ordering an FRN PE and swapping the G10 scales on to there.

It's fun getting to try SE and PE back to back on different materials with this one though. I have a habit of doing that. I'll break down a cardboard box doing half the cuts with SE, and half with the PE.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:03 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 12:41 am
vivi wrote:

Not really. I carry this one because I like the blacked out hardware and G10 scales better than my satin finished PE blade, but someday I'm ordering an FRN PE and swapping the G10 scales on to there.

It's fun getting to try SE and PE back to back on different materials with this one though. I have a habit of doing that. I'll break down a cardboard box doing half the cuts with SE, and half with the PE.

Thanks!

And I do this these days too with my new combo edge thin red line Endura (comparing PE and SE back to back).

And in the tasks I did so far ( mainly on a mountain hut: Cutting cardboard, carving out junks of wood, making feathersticks, some food prep) SE honestly did clearly better for me than PE... but now come the big BUTs (not butts ;) )

- This is factory edge PE vs SE: I am pretty sure if you tuned the PE section of my Endura in your "vivi edge" way, the results and comparison to SE could be completely different
- Probably SE does "better" / cuts deeper partly due to the steep chisel grind (and PE in the same steep chisel grind would be a lot closer)
- On a comboedge SE somehow has a "headstart"in many tasks, since it is at the heel / rear section of the blade, PE though at the front / tip section. Just a different kind of leverage and control imo.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Serrated edges come ground much thinner than plain edges. Which does raise the question of why? If a serrated VG10 folder can come out of the factory ground 15 degrees inclusive and Spyderco thinks it will be ok, why are plain edged VG10 folders coming from the factory twice as thick, or more, at the edge?

SE will definitely do better cutting thick cardboard or carving wood on a factory CE knife because of the superior geometry.

Even on my CE Resilience I haven't taken the PE part down quite as thin as the SE part yet, so it has a geometry advantage in certain cuts.

PS - Awesome seeing some aqua salt love, Mushroom!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:02 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 10:32 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 12:57 am
This is such a nice photo

Thanks! :smlling-eyes

It is actually such a nice PLACE - and I am a lucky man in that I can work and work hard there from time to time out in the mountains (not my main job though) and get to use the Spydie in my pocket quite a bit in the process!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 10:32 pm

/ Sorry to hear you did not warm up to the Endela platform! I would definitely be nterested why that is.
To me the Endela has one of the best folder handles ever, even slightly better than the Endura. Just its blade is a bit short for my likings.

That looks like a very charming old mountain hut!
I should really make it more of a priority to visit that area... there's just so many places to visit and so little time :)

..So, the Endela.
You're right, the handle design is somewhat refined compared to the Pac Salt 2, and it does make a noticeable difference.
And the Endela actually did fit my hand surprisingly well, given its size, so we got off to a better start than I had really anticipated.
My lukewarm feelings toward it is more related to some strange design decisions that are really provoking my OCD.
Most obvious among them, is how proud the blade tip rests in the handle. On my still unsharpened, factory edge Endela, the tip is almost flush with the handle. I'm also not amazed by the blade to handle ratio, but that's not a big deal in and of itself, the ironic part is that it seems a longer blade would have solved both issues, since the handle curves slightly inwards toward the end.

Another very minute detail, but one I can't seem to wrap my head around is the relatively large ricasso. Though I tend to favor a short exposed ricasso, I usually don't put much weight on this specific detail. I've settled with the notion that their shape, size and exposure is to a large degree dictated by other design choices, so I'm either OK with the compromise made or I ain't. As long as you want a backlock there's no way around it. My issue with this specific one is it's relative size compared to the rest of the family. It's actually slightly larger than on the pac salt. Which seems unnecessary on a knife that shares so many design features, yet is overall a smaller knife.

All that said it's a very utilitarian and capable knife that I've used a lot since I got it about half a year ago, and hopefully it stays that way for at least a few sharpenings down the road. I got it for a very good price so I don't feel bad about any of it's quirks, and the price point also makes it a very good testbed for CE, which was my primary justification for buying it, so I can really go to work and not worry about the knife at all. It is also my first Seki user knife with liners, so it kind of serves to test my hypothesis/preference toward linerless for outdoor and high intensity activities as well. Will be interesting to see how the internals holds up to corrosion from regular exposure to sweat, water and blood/food remains over time.
Thanks for the detailled reply and your thoughts!

- on "tip rests proud in the handle":

Good observation, you are right, the tip rests clearly deeper in the Endura handle than it does in the Endelas! Would not have noticed that though, since on my particular Endela the tip is still recessed enough. This might or even will be though due to that I snapped a rather tiny part of the tip once and had to reprofile it. Now the tip on my Endela is a bit lower than from factory.

- on the large ricasso:

I would not need that either, and I think for just having the "kick" a backlock requires it could be much shorter.
The Endela ricasso actually looks to be larger than the Enduras, but when measuring it they are pretty much of the same length.
I don´t really MIND that ricasso though, since for me it acts like a choil - I choke up on it all the time, love that grip, it is probably my most used on Endela and Endura.

- on the blade length:

Yes, l´d love to see a longer blade or better EDGE on the Endela.
Longer blade is not really an option though - I think the Endela is meant to be also a choice for folks who live in 3.5" limit areas, and the blade is already 3.41". So one could add just about 1.5 mm (still would like take that short amount of more blade, and if the ricasso would get a bit shorter too some more cuting edge would be the result)

But that leads me to your first point: They could go the other way and make the HANDLE a bit shorter.
This would make for a more compact carry while having the current blade length AND solve the proud tip issue....

As I always say: To me the Endela is not "middle ground" between Delica and Endura, but like 90 % Endura and 10 % Delica (which does not have to be a bad thing, don´t get me wrong!).
I´d not complain if they´d go a bit more "Delica", if the blade length remains the same:
- An a bit more compact handle
- And first and foremost: Delica 2.50 mm bladestock... :smirk (instead of 3.00 mm)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:30 am
Serrated edges come ground much thinner than plain edges. Which does raise the question of why? If a serrated VG10 folder can come out of the factory ground 15 degrees inclusive and Spyderco thinks it will be ok, why are plain edged VG10 folders coming from the factory twice as thick, or more, at the edge?

SE will definitely do better cutting thick cardboard or carving wood on a factory CE knife because of the superior geometry.

Even on my CE Resilience I haven't taken the PE part down quite as thin as the SE part yet, so it has a geometry advantage in certain cuts.

PS - Awesome seeing some aqua salt love, Mushroom!

Yes, that´s what I assumed...

Pretty much the "opposite" of what later becomes the "problem" of SE, let me explain:

- From FACTORY SE can be "better" or cut deeper than PE in many tasks, this is pretty clear to me from my experience.
But as you say: Probably not (only) due to the teeth as such, but cause they "dare" to ground SE thinner and give it a steeper edge than PE (so PE, as thin, and with an equally steep egde angle would compare much better).
This is what I meant: If I shipped my CE thin line Endura to you, and you gave the PE part your thinned out, coarse Vivi treatment, THAT PE would be tough competition for the factory SE.

- Now to the "problem": Later on, when the knife gets dull, some folks know how to sharpen PE, but think SE is hard to sharpen or don´t know how to. And so often compare dull SE to sharp PE.

/ Aqua Salt: Right, you are no longer alone in teasing me/us with that knife... ;)
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

fresh black wash
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Snowcutter :smlling-eyes (which means the thin line Endura is my mountain knife today. No more snow in the valleys).

SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Foehammer wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:01 pm

Out fishing today. Was not the greatest but at least we didn’t get skunked!
But you went FISHING!!! Let’s Go 🎣🎣🎣…and that’s a killer photo too 👊
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:59 am
Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:58 am
Enjoying one of my favorite knives, the GB1.

20230526_145621.jpg
GB anything is great. Welcome to the forum BTW!
Cheers Jeff! I hope to get my hands on the Advocate. Do you have a favorite from GB?
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Makunochimaster wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:35 am
fresh black wash
Nice work 👏